“Great Fried Shrimp!” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Ark
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Birmingham, AL
“Great Fried Shrimp!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

The Ark is a small local favorite restaurant located just off I-20. Nothing fancy but excellent fried shrimp and hushpuppies. Everything is battered to order and excellent.

• Visited August 2013

Alabama
“Food = very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We met at The Ark for a group lunch, seated in a side room apparently made for this kind of event. The food was very good. Decent-sized portions of catfish, very tasty cole slaw and more "pups" than we could eat. The only thing that detracted from the experience was the service. The waitress seemed really stressed, to the point of almost being mean. When I paid, there was no "thank you," just a frown. My pretty generous tip was met with neither a smile nor a comment. I think we were just being tolerated. Recommend carry out, if you're so inclined.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Shirley A, Owner at The Ark, responded to this review, January 2, 2016
So sorry for your bad service I purchased the Ark in Nov 2013 and the moral and overall conditions were deplorable. Please give us another try I can promise a better experience
Thanks
Shirley
“Just off Hwy 20 pull off and eat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Great whole catfish! This place is apparently an old staple for the location. My grandmother ate here for years and introduced it to me in the past year.... Why haven't I been eating here for years? If you're one that loves whole catfish they are the premiere provider by far! Having grown up on lake logan Martin during the summers I'm pissed I've missed out on this place until now!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 1busyman
BirminghamAL
“Good, Rustic Place to Eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and I were on our way back from Atlanta and decided to give them a try. It is right off I20 (Exit 162) and next door to the "Bootlegger's Lounge." It looks just like the pictures on their web site (but I couldn't find a sign in the front) and here on TripAdvisor.

This is an old rustic restaurant with wooden bench booths with padded seats, and some tables and chairs. The bathrooms are tiny, but OK.

They are known for their fried catfish, oysters, and frogs legs. I had the grilled catfish which was good (wish I had asked for it not to be "blackened") and the fried oysters. It said 5 but I got 7 huge oysters bursting with flavor. My wife's chicken fingers were large pieces of fried white meat. They do their own breading and cook the food to order. This makes it a bit slower but fresh when it gets to the table. My baked potato was good, as was the Cole slaw. The hush puppies were a bit dry. Yes, the tarter sauce was in bottles on the table, but was good.

This is a local family owned old fashioned seafood house that has been here for decades. They are good at what they do.

• Visited April 2013
working, traveler
“Horrible atmosphere, dirty.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

The food is good, but very expensive. We paid 8.95 for a 5" poboy with 3 fried oysters. If you want Fries there $2 extra.
The establishment is dirty, and run down. The booths are cracked, and dirty. The salad is nothing fancy lettuce with tomato pieces, and shredded cheese. The tartar sauce sits on the table all day in squeeze bottles. The tops are all clumpy, and gross.
Good food, but Nasty to eat in.