“Some 'Grand' - Some Not So 'Grand'”

Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Clear
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Some 'Grand' - Some Not So 'Grand'”
Reviewed March 4, 2007

My elderly parents and I stayed at the Grand for one night on March 3, 2007. My mother uses a walker but did not want a handicapped room because she and my father prefer a king size bed and handicapped rooms only come with double beds typically. The rooms in the main lodge were my first choice so we would be close to dining areas but the bathrooms in the rooms in the main lodge were far too small to fit a walker. So we wer placed in a new "Spa " bldg with very nice rooms but a distance away. Therefore we had to take the car every time we needed to get back and forh from the main lodge. She couldn't step up to the golf-cart type shuttle service offered.

The beds were very comfortable and the rooms extremely spacious and well-appointed. They certainly met the "grand" criteria.

Also in the "grand" category was the setting itself. Right on the water, beautiful grounds, well kept and landscaped. With some time, one could really relax in a maxmium way. Another real plus was the staff. Without exception, every staff member we encountered was polite, greeted you, and tried to be accomodating.

What was "not so grand" was the food. On Saturday, we ate at the Saltwater Grill. The mint juleps were a magnificent version of the classic cocktail. But the entrees were in a different category. An obviously frozen soft shell crab was poorly fried and looked rather sad and limp on the plate. The gumbo was decidedly average. The crab cakes were okay, but also seemed like they were not freshly made and came with a "southern vegetable chow chow" that was inedible.

We stayed over later on Sunday just to eat at the Grand Sunday Buffet. At over $30 per person, this was the most disappointing part of the stay, The food was dull and unimaginative and to add to it, it was all for the most part, cold. The only average dish was the crabmeat omelette. The boiled shrimp tasted like they were boiled in water with no hint of seasonings or flavor. The fish was too salty and had obviously frozen crawfish in a sauce over it.
The sirloin roast beef was extremely tough. By time we got to the dessert table, it looked like a pig trough. They had one of the worst versions of bread pudding I've ever had; only the red velvet cake was fresh and tasty. The mint julep at this meal was done by another bartender and inferior to the night before.

Overall, despite the spectacular views and resort setting, I would probably not rush back to the Grand.

• Liked — The setting and grounds
  • Disliked — The food - beyond terrible
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank Traveler2121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Encino, California
Reviewed February 2, 2007

Our only complaint was that we couldn't stay longer. This is a lovely resort, very nicely restored following Hurricane Katrina, and we sampled only a little of what it offers during our overnight stay.

We were given an end room in the main building overlooking Mobile Bay. Though the room was smaller than some in the hotel, the separate sitting room with its expansive bay view was a bonus. On a cool day on the Gulf Coast, we enjoyed complimentary tea and treats along with other guests by the warmth of a crackling fire in the lobby. We adjourned to Bucky's lounge for a pre-dinner cocktail overlooking the patio firepits and the bay. The ambience in the dining room could be characterized as casual elegance. This room, too, looks out to the bay. We enjoyed an excellent dinner to the music of a talented singer/pianist.

Needless to say, we were charmed and hope someday to return and sample more that the Grand Hotel has to offer.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FrequentFlyer-CA
Dixie
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We have stayed at The Grand for the past two years and have enjoyed both visits. The first year our stay was interrupted by Hurricane Dennis and last year (2006) we stayed during the "renovation period" following Hurricane Katrina.

We enjoyed both visits even though the aforementioned problems were present. We have always stayed in the newer spa building overlooking the boat marina. I like this building the best. The other buildings overlook the small beach and Mobile Bay.

The room was pretty standard with a good bed and great pillows. The bathroom was spacious with a separate stand alone glass shower and a separate tub. We never experienced any problems with our room or bath. It was spotless and real nice.

The small beach and pool area are quite pleasant. The large pool has an adult secluded section while the remaining area is for children. The poolside service was great both years we stayed.

The first year the entire resort was open and the next year, '06, it was partially open. The food was great and they serve a fantastic mint julep in the main hotel bar.

You can rent beach toys, boards and etc to be used on the small beach area. You can also fish in the bay around the resort. Legally, you need an Alabama Fishing License which is not that expensive if you are not a resident.

While all the meals I have eaten at The Grand were good, there are local places in Point Clear and Fairhope. One just has to leave the hotel and explore. You will find enough chain-types to suit your taste.

The staff has ALWAYS been the best. I recommend The Grand. See you there in 2007. The third time is a charm.

• Liked — The clean bath and rooms.
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Arclight615
kentucky
Reviewed January 9, 2007

I heard what a great place this was and was EXTREMELY DISAPOINTED. I ended up in one of the older rooms. The woodwork was chipped and the carpeting was grimy dirty. The room was small and not very well furnished. The rooms were very overpriced. When I checked out, I requested the hotel shuttle ($45) to the airport and the charge was added to my bill. After standing outside for 30 minutes I went back to the front desk and was advised the shuttle was not available and they had called for a taxi. I was charged $70 for the taxi and, after 2 years, 3 phone calls, and a letter, I have yet to get the hotel to credit my visa for the $45 shuttle ride I did not even get. The only thing great about this place was the waterfront view. Forget this one.....it is all hype!!!!

• Liked — The view and the free cookies in the afternoon
  • Disliked — The filth and the rude staff
  • Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
4 Thank barn2s
Florence, AL
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My husband, two year old son, and I stayed at The Grand Hotel this past weekend with a group of my husband's co workers. We could not have asked for a better trip. It is true that there is construction and not all of the resort is open. The only limitation that this seemed to cause was a lack of on site places to choose from for dinner. We ate dinner at the Lakewood restaurant for one dinner which was great and the drinks were perfect. We ate our other meals at the poolside bar/restaurant which was perfect for cold cocktails and easy meals for kids. The staff at the restaurant was GREAT. They always seemed to remember us and greeted us with smiles and warm words. The resort it self has a lot to offer. We spent most of our time by the pool which is perfect for all ages. My son was fine playing without floaties and never got bored b/c there were so many different places to explore. They also had crafts, activities, bikes, boats, playground, etc for kids/families/adults to use. I did not go to the spa, but one of the women in our group said the quiet room was wonderful and that the massage was the best she had ever gotten. There is entertainment in the evenings and a social hour in the afternoon. Our room was on the first floor of the Spa Building. It was very nice and had everything we needed. It was clean and well kept. The beds were comfortable with new, soft, linens. We did not have a balcony, but did have french doors that opened up to a view of the marina. It was beautiful at sunrise. The staff went out of the way to make our trip carefree. For example, after realizing our two year old was not going to make it through a sit down dinner (what were we thinking to begin with???) we needed a last minute sitter. I had never used an onsite baby sitter that I was not familiar with. I was nervous. We used the "AYS" button on our phone and were able to arrange for a sitter. They suggested the local nanny group out of the phone book at first. I told them I was not comfortable with those services and would rather use one of their camp counselors or lifeguards etc to do the baby sitting. They understood, went to work on a solution, and called us back in no time. The director of recreation scheduled her 19 year old, college student, daughter to keep our son. She was such a wonderful baby sitter and I felt comfortable with her since her family and other people who knew here were right on site. When we returned my son cried and begged me to stay with the sitter longer. That never happens.....so should show what a good job she did to keep him busy, safe, and entertained. Everything was pleasing and easy. We went with work, but will definitly return for a vacation or a quick getaway weekend.

• Liked — Friendly staff and pool
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
#1 of 24 in Gulf Shores
Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach

Been to Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!