“Farewell Family Vacay”

Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Point Clear
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Short family vacation before son leaves for the Navy. Beautiful resort, so much to see and do, staff was INCREDIBLE throughout the hotel EXCEPT for the Spa employees. They were not friendly, nor helpful. My entire family felt they were quite rude. Vicki Lazzari, the Front Office Supervisor, could not have been better! There was a problem with my reservations and took care of everything!! There should be more Vicki's at the resort!! Our rooms were beautiful and comfortable! It is on the expensive side, but totally worth the price!!

Room Tip: Corner room had extra space in the Marina House!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

We are thrilled to have provided such a special family get-a-way before your sons departure. We certainly thank you for recognizing the outstanding team members that provided the incredible experience. On behalf of the Grand Family thank you and we look forward to welcoming both you and your son back to The Grand Hotel.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

We haven't been to the Grand Hotel in 15 years... but our return trip was fantastic. We reserved a king in the Spa building at a AAA rate and it was beautiful, clean and ready at check in. All the things that make a hotel room nice...tub and separate shower, plenty of towels, hot water on demand, balcony view of the bay, excellent A/C, golf cart service around the property, beautifully maintained gardens, nice bar on the property, etc... We did not eat at the Dining Room, but chose instead to visit the restaurants in Fairhope. The staff members were always helpful and smiling even with a packed hotel. We did pay the extra charge to use the Lakewood Country Club across the way where I was able to swim laps in the adult pool, but it was only $10. If you love Southern old world charm, go to the Grand.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kingcake50

Thank you for recently visiting and sharing your comments while our guest here at the Grand Hotel Marriott. We are very happy you enjoyed your accommodations, grounds and the service here at The Resort. We certainly hope it isn't another 15 years before your travels bring you back to Point Clear and on behalf of the Grand family thank you.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

Attended a conference at the Grand and stayed for 3 nights. The resort is located a little over an hour from the Mobile airport. The people who work at The Grand are some of the nicest people I have meet at a resort in the U.S. From the moment you arrive the staff is nice and engaging. The room I had was not the best as it was not a balcony room and had a view of the parking lot, the room itself felt old, but this is a historic hotel so its expected. Also the 2nd floor of the building I was in did not have an elevator, so be aware of that. The restaurants in the hotel are both great, we ate at the grill and steak house. Be aware that there are no close restaurants outside the resort. The property is situated on gorgeous grounds with breathtaking views of the gulf coast. Do your self a favor and take a walk down the path away from the hotel by the water, there are some beautiful homes worth the walk. Overall staff is very nice and knowledgeable, hotel is historic and a little dated but would recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Request a room with a patio or balcony
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank californiatraveler84

Thank you for recently visiting the Grand Hotel Marriott. We are pleased to learn you enjoyed our dining outlets and grounds during this visit. We are also thrilled to learn the staff of The Resort provided such an exceptional level of service while our guest. On behalf of the Grand Team thank you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I've been here for conferences for the past four or so years. It's a great place for a conference, a family getaway or a romantic getaway. The staff are well trained, courteous and helpful, the room was wonderfully furnished and quiet. Children of all ages will love the giant pool (which was some time ago the largest in the country), not to even mention the tennis and golf facilities and the City of Fairhope. There's not enough space to list it all.

Room Tip: Live Oaks in front of some rooms are beatiful
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank George S
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent visit to The Grand Hotel Marriott, we are very fortunate to have you with us over the past several years. We are thrilled to earn you enjoy your trips to The Grand and that the many activities keep everyone happy. On behalf of the Grand associates thank you, we look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Took my wife to Grand Hotel July 9-11 for birthday, which included for her Spa, massage, facial,
and so forth. She advised that these were the best she had ever had! Also included: lunch for two days, & glass of wine or champagne.Room was very good, although you could hear guests in
next room; view was not of yacht basin but of part of golf course, and no wake up call was
received next morning. Otherwise, service was excellent; you called for golf cart pick up to go
too dinner or elsewhere on property; was able to catch nice speckled trout from dock & had it
broiled for appetizer. Restaurant was good; service good, but Kobe beef filet not as good as we thought it should have been.

Room Tip: ASk for room facing the Gulf.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank enochs
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you for recently visiting and sharing your experience while our guest here at The Grand Hotel Marriott. We are very happy to have provided an enjoyable visit including Spa, fishing and dining. We thank you for entrusting us with this special birthday visit and we hope to see you again in Point Clear.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I will start off on a positive....Point Clear and the town of Fairhope are utterly charming and lovely and worth a trip. Oaks with dripping Spanish moss, stately old homes, and lovely views of the sunset over Mobile Bay. One feels like you've stepped back into a simpler, happy time.
The bad part--unless you are lucky enough to have a friend who owns one of the above stately homes or you come across the rare rental, you're pretty much stuck with the Grand Hotel, which stinks, both literally and figuratively.
My husband and I had heard of the Grand Hotel since moving to Alabama a few years ago. My mother-in-law went there as a child on family trips; we had friends here who raved about the pool and the family-friendly nature of the place; so we booked a long weekend over the 4th to go and check it out.
Even driving in, I was a little surprised. Elegant, it is not---a hulking, ungainly brick building. The reception area and lobby are dated, to say the least-dark, with cheap looking antiques and rugs, and god-awful art and large multi-media collages on the wall (some for sale for a whopping $22,000) that look like something a high school art student threw together. Now, I GET that the original building dates to 1847, and I have nothing against antiques and understand that they aren't trying to be the W Hotel, but the decor is just cheap, y'all. We went up to our room (1209 in the old "main" part of the building, and opened the door and were a little speechless. Even my 9yo son said, "umm, is this really our room??". My 7 yo daughter said, " I thought this places was supposed to be "grand"? It smelled like many decades of damp and mold; the upholstery on the pull-out in the tiny sitting room may have dated to 1958, and some of the wooden panelling (which is all over the main building) was actually warping-- I wish I'd taken a picture. The vibe was rural motor lodge chic, and not in a cool, retro way. Did I mention the smell? The bathroom was so small that our toiletries kept falling into the toilet, and the main bed was nothing to rave about. Please keep in mind that we were paying a whopping $450 a night. The room wasn't even clean-there was a streak of sticky stuff on the wall in the bathroom above the trashcan. On top of that, the rest of the resort seems tired as well. The grounds aren't being kept up as they should, the bikes we borrowed were in horrible shape, and we were charged $40 to use the second pool down the street owned by the Grand.
If the room had been $150, I might have known what I was getting myself into, but for that kind of money, I cannot stress more that you should avoid this place.

Other great family destinations that we've been to in the southeast that are similarly priced are Reynolds Plantation outside Atlanta, The Grove Park Hotel in Asheville, NC, and Palmetto Bluff in South Carolina. All classy, with gorgeous grounds and activities, elegant dining spaces, and comfortable, clean rooms. Blackberry Farm is clearly in another league, but if you really want to splurge, that's great for families too.

We had a great trip because we had friends down in Pt. Clear, but we will not be returning. Ever. Such a shame for an old institution to fall into such a state. I don't know whether to blame Marriott (who manages it) or the owners.

Room Tip: I heard the spa building has the cleanest, most modern rooms, though I never saw one. Avoid the main...
6  Thank suz1000
Kevin C, Resort Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Thank you for recently visiting The Grand Hotel and sharing your perceptions. We are obviously sorry to learn this Resort didn't provide the experience you were expecting. Thank you on behalf of the team and all our best in your future travels.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

This was the 5th time that I stayed at this hotel. My children and I love it, it has many activities and truly is home away from home. The rooms are spacious and clean, and the staff was nice and friendly. I work at a school so every year we come here and I enjoy the discount that working at a school affords me. I don't have any complaints, the only thing that I would have to say was the days I stayed. Usually we stay during spring break, but this year there were no discount days available. If I had to change one thing, I would have to say more availability for the RSA discounts. Overall the trip was wonderful, the rooms were great as usual, many activities as I stated and they also offered appetizers in the evening. Also the afternoon tea was a joy to attend. I can't wait for my next trip, we came home a couple of days ago, and I already miss the hotel .

Room Tip: If you have children the double beds are good to have , as well as a roll away bed, my children love...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent visit to The Grand Hotel Marriott. We are thrilled to know the entire family enjoyed their visit and the many activities offered. We are very happy to see all of our RSA guests enjoying a Summer visit with us and hope to see you again for your 6th visit soon. On behalf of The Grand family thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Point Clear
Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores

Been to Grand Hotel Marriott Resort, Golf Club & Spa? Share your experiences!