“Best place to stay near South Commons Softball Complex”

Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Phenix City
Ohio
“Best place to stay near South Commons Softball Complex”
Reviewed April 21, 2010

My daughter played softball at the South Common Softball Complex in Columbus GA. This hotel is 1.5 miles from there and easy to get to. The hotel is 10 months old. The staff is great. We stayed for 3 nights. The front desk personnel remembered our names and room number. My daughter used the business center to retrieve her homework as it was posted while we were away from school. Breakfast great. Good selection. Always fresh fruit. Fruit, coffee and cookies available in the evenings too in the lobby.
They don't have security boxes to fit a laptop but they accomodated us by locking the laptop in the managers office. Room was bigger than the usual. My wife and daughter thanked me for picking such a nice hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank travels7Ohio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I Made a reservation earlier that day and have stay at this hotel once before.
When I walked in there was a line of about 4 people trying to check in Melanie Startton reconize me and while she was on the phone and checking in these people she quitely push my room key and sign in sheet to sign. Seconds later I was enjoying happy hour with drinks and snacks, servered by Roberto.
Thumps up and I will contintue to stay at heis hotel while working in the area.
Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We went to a concert in March 2010. This was for my 12 year old children and I made reservations in advance, however for 2 days prior to my stay every time I tried to call to confirm I got a busy signal at the hotel. After 2 days of calling I finally got through to someone at the hotel to confirm my reservation. Everything was in order, unfortunately when we arrived they tried to tell me that my room was no longer available and I could stay at a sister hotel. I was extremely angry and voiced what had happened to the front desk lady and she stepped in back and spoke w/ the exact person that I had spoken w/ on the phone to confirm my reservation and then told me everything was fine. We did get to stay, but the staff was not friendly and didn't offer any info. about the grounds or the breakfast that was offered. We also witnessed another traveler trying to check in and being told the same thing we were at check in , except he had this happen the year before as well. 2 years in a row.......Just be careful and verify your stay...

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Lorena, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2010

The rooms are silent, never heard a shower or toilet or another person for that matter. Very nice rooms with microwave and fridge, the beds are very comfortable. The breakfast is nice plenty of good things to eat including eggs and fresh fruit everyday. The pool and whirlpool are nice with an outdoor fireplace. The all day all night coffee and hot tea bar is awsome. I highly recomend this for a great relaxing stay!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Montgomery, Alabama
Reviewed April 13, 2010

As a member of the Armed Forces I get an opprotunity to travel frequently and I must say that the new Hampton Inn and Suites in Phenix City, AL has been one of the most enjoyable stays I have had in a longtime. The staff is friendly and helpful (especially Ms Melanie Stratton). Ms Stratton really myself and other guest feel right at home!! I highly recommend this hotel if you plan on staying in the FT Benning/Columbus/Phenix City area.

Virginia
Reviewed March 31, 2010

Very friendly and helpful staff. New hotel which is clean, well constructed and well laid out.

Washington DC
Reviewed March 31, 2010

B.L.U.F.: The hotel is in great (i.e. new) condition. However, what would have me recommend it above others is the staff, particularly the above and beyond effort made by Ms. Theresa Grimes.

I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Phenix City Mon - Friday for the better part of three months (Jan - March). The hotel itself was very nice. The beds (most important part in my opinion) were clean, soft, and comfortable in all possible ways. There is a very small (3 cardio machines + dumbbells up to 50 lbs) fitness room which is adequate for a casual exerciser. Exercise options are average for a hotel, but the equipment is brand new and in excellent condition. There is a happy hour with free beer, wine and finger foods Tues - Thurs from 5:30 until 7 pm which is appreciated, but seems to be a common practice for the area. What does stand out though, is the service- particularly that of one Ms. Theresa Grimes.

Now, before I go on about Ms. Grimes, it is noteworthy that most of the staff there was very good. They knew me by name within the first 2 weeks of me being there, despite the fact that their encounters with me were sparse. They were very attentive, recognizing details like my favorite beer and preference for breakfast. So having established that the staff there is already above par, let me specifically mention Ms. Grimes.

I don't know if this is attributable to natural talent and disposition or a concentrated and purposeful effort on her part, but Theresa made me feel like the whole hotel was there for me personally. She struck the perfect balance of polite and helpful (e.g. greeting me, suggesting I join the Hilton rewards program - HHonors), without going overboard and bugging me. I would regularly check in with her, but she knew my name and face the second time I was there. She kept track of my preferences (e.g. whether or not I wanted a newspaper each morning, room preference, etc) and had them all ready to go when I arrived. While she seemed like she was often busy doing productive things, I never had to wait for her to take care of me. If I was in my room and called the front desk while she was on duty, it never rang more than twice.

Now I recognize that most of, if not all these things *could* be interpreted as great execution of basic hotel service, but Ms. Grimes went beyond that. I mentioned that she suggested I sign up for the HHonors program. It took me a while to do that, so she actually went ahead did everything short of establishing the account in my name, to make it happen. As soon as I had the account, she added it to my profile and I received credit for my stays without ever having to think about it again. Another example of her above and beyond efforts include a personal email sent to me when I didn't show up for a reservation the way I had in the past. The email I received not only made it obvious that she knew exactly who she was addressing, but also had the precisely correct mix of professional and personal attention.

I not only recommend staying at this hotel, I specifically recommend the service of Ms. Theresa Grimes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Phenix City
#13 of 46 in Columbus
Super 8 Phenix City
Super 8 Phenix City
#4 of 9 in Phenix City

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Phenix City - Columbus Area? Share your experiences!