“Older, but freshly renovated property” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65

Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Pelham
Nashville, Tennessee
“Older, but freshly renovated property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Staid here for one night using a free night certificate. Staff was very friendly and efficient. The property seemed to be an older one, but seemed to be freshly overhauled. The room was clean and furnished in fairly standard "Fairfield Inn" style (could have maybe used some pictures on the wall to make it a bit more friendly). The only thing I noticed is that sound insulation seemed to be poor as I heard people in the adjacent room yapping until 3:30 AM. Not really the hotel's fault, but unfortunately an encounter with guests that simply lack common courtesy. Breakfast buffet in the AM had everything necessary to start the day off well.

Stayed December 2013
BhamSalesdirector, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your reveiw of our hotel. This property was actually built in 2010 and the decor is our brand's Green Tea design which was standard at the time the hotel was constructed. We are glad that you chose our hotel as your "home away from home" and hope to see you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

So we stayed here over Thanksgiving while visiting family. First, let me say that there are not many decent places to stay anywhere in the Birmingham area, compared to most metropolitan areas. We were very lucky to find a terrific Residence Inn (also a Marriott) near UAB last time we were here, but needed to stay closer to family in the burbs this time. This Fairfield Inn in Pelham is conveniently located, easy to get to from the freeway; however, if you want anything other than fast food/chain restaurants, good luck - this is stripmall hell out here. The hotel is newer, updated, and rooms facing away from the road are very quiet and have a nice view of the hills/trees. We liked our room on the first floor, until we came back from dinner with family the first night and had ANTS in our bathroom. It was kind of bizarre - they were not there when we left to go out, but were along the walls near the toilet, and on the counter when we came back. The front desk manager was very accommodating, and immediately moved us to an upper floor room on the opposite side of the hotel. I'm not sure if we were given such good treatment by the staff because we are Marriott Rewards member, or if anyone would get this in a similar situation. Our new room was a suite (no charge for the upgrade), and it was HUGE. Nicely updated, with large granite counter in the bathroom, a full wet bar area with sink, microwave and refrigerator, separate bedroom and living room with flatscreen TVs in both, desk and free wi-fi. The living room was so large that it dwarfed the small-scale furniture - that was the only weird thing about the room. It was very quiet - no noise - and bed was very comfortable. It did not have the usual comforter, so I had to get a blanket out of the closet (it was unusually cold weather while we were there). The breakfast area near the lobby was very nice, with good food selection (even a waffle-maker). The free breakfasts are always a big selling point for us - very convenient. Our room was very clean, although the restocking after cleaning each day was a little inconsistent (some days we got tons of towels and toiletries, sometimes just enough). Normally, an episode like the ant incident would result in a low rating from me; however, the staff handled it very well, and I think it may have been a freak thing (ants in cold weather?) so I don't want to hold this against them (they assured us that they would be getting an exterminator to look at the issue the next day, but did not expect us to want to stay in that room). And once we were moved upstairs to the suite, all was well.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the building - away from the highway - were very quiet, with nice views of...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dreamer1999
BhamSalesdirector, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. Guest comments help us measure our performance and identify areas for improvement. We apologize for the ant situation and I would like to assure you that is was indeed handled the nexxt morning. I am glad that our staff was attentive and repsonded quickly to you and reolved the problem expediantly. Thank you again for staying with us. I will certainly share your comments with our team and we look forward to your next stay with us when travel brings you back to Birmingham.
Wetumpka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful newer hotel. Clean and very comfy beds. Great service. Exactly what I would expect from a Marriott ! Stayed for a softball tournament in Hoover, had laundry facilities, nice for washing dirty uniforms. Very nice staff. Good breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BhamSalesdirector, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We value guest feedback as it helps us measure our performance and identify areas for improvement. We appreciate your comments and look forward to your next stay with us.
Millbrook, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

the tv looses signal about every 20 minutes for 1-10 minutes. Its been doing this my entire stay. At breakfast the stuff in the omelet was cold and when I asked if there was anymore bacon, thr lady started to scoop up the crumbs for me. I said "I dont want crumbs" and the lady looked upset that she had to make more (it was only 740 am and breakfast ends at 9). The rest of the staff are really nice and the place is VERY clean. Also all the bed pillows are overly freakin huge, hard and made for a horrible sleep. Better bring your own pillow!! Just dont expect to watch tv or eat breakfast. At $109 a nite, I expect better than this.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We value guest comments as they help us measure our performance and identify areas for improvement. I apologize for the TV issues. We had notified our satellite provider and have resolved this issue. As for breakfast service, this is unacceptable and we have already addressed the service issues with our breakfast attendant working that day. Marriott hotels offer both foam and feather pillows and we can change pillows out for guest anytime. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay. If your travels bring you back into our area, I do hope you will give us another try.
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

My wife & I are staying here now on a working vacation...she's working, I'm on vacation. It's a very nice, spacious, clean hotel with pleasant enough people. We are pleased with the stay & the location. BUT, have you ever stayed anywhere that the housekeeper does not knock prior to entering your room?? Yeah, me neither!

I wanted her to stop by but only for a few things, coffee & lotion, so I did not have the DND on the door. However, I assumed she'd knock prior to just walking right in. Boy, was I wrong! So glad I was not still standing there without my pants on! A few minutes later, my wife & I left the room & she saw us. I was just walking her to her car though and returned to the room not long after, she did not see me return. Shortly thereafter the door was unlocked again & someone was trying to come in but I had the latch over the door. Again the housekeepers were standing there apologizing when I had already gotten what I needed from her AND signed off on her little sheet that I didn't need further service.

That's my only gripe but, next time, PLEASE KNOCK FIRST!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
BhamSalesdirector, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Housekeepers are trained to knock before entering any guestrooms. We certainly need to re-train or provide further training in this matter and are thankful that you are providing this feedback. Necessary adjustments will be made to avoid such an inconvenience in the future. Again thank you for the comments. Guest comments always help us measure our performance and identify areas for improvement. We hope that when you return to the area, you will once again stay with us.
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I traveled from Cincinnati to Birmingham to see a concert at Oak Mountain. I picked this hotel based off of other tripadvisor reviews. They did not let me down! The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The hotel staff were friendly. There are many options for dining close by. If you are attending a concert at Oak Mountain, this is a prime location. You can walk to the concert and then back to your hotel once it is over. You avoid all the hassle of parking and traffic. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family. The only issue we had was that the WiFi was slow.

Room Tip: We got a room with a king bed on the end of the hall. It was more than enough room for a couple.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BhamSalesdirector, Director of Sales at Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We strive to provide excellence in product and service and value our guest's feedback as it helps us measure our performance. I have shared your comment about the wi-fi with our operations director and we are looking at improving the bandwith. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Ansbach, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

We spent 2 nights at the hotel. It is less than 0.5 miles from I-65. Lots of places to eat around the hotel, e.g. Wendy’s, Chick-fill-a, Applebee’s, Hooters etc. Many within walking distance. There is a Publix and Walmart within a mile of the hotel also. The hotel is back off the street so you have to work your way back there around the Margarita grill or Krystals or through the Hampton Inn parking lot.
Our 4th floor room was very clean with a decent amount of space. Fridge, microwave, coffee machine etc. The TV was a 32 inch flat screen with 37 channels including 3 HBO channels and around 8 high definition channels. The bathroom had a bath tub instead of some of the walk in showers that you now see in similar type hotels. Personally not an issue for me. Some families with young children probably prefer a bath tub.
Breakfast was served from 0600 to 0900 on weekdays and 0600 and 1000 on weekends. Lots of us were there for a sports tournament and I am not sure if that was a factor but they kept the breakfast bar open past 1000 on both mornings. The food was the usual fare. Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, good strong coffee, yogurt, apples and bananas, oatmeal already made in a pot, 2 waffle irons, baked items etc.
Overall the staff was friendly. I would recommend this hotel to any of my family and friends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank John L
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us measure our performance. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelham
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham/Pelham
Holiday Inn Express Pelham - Oak Mtn Pk Area
BEST WESTERN PLUS Oak Mountain Inn
Sleep Inn
Sleep Inn
#4 of 10 in Pelham
Homewood Suites by Hilton Birmingham-SW-Riverchase-Galleria
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Hoover

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Birmingham Pelham/I-65? Share your experiences!