“I'd rather sleep in my car”

WoodSpring Suites Birmingham Pelham
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Pelham
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This extended stay hotel was nothing like I'd expected. Our stay at this hotel was due to a relocation from Kentucky for a new job. While I understand the rates are good, I found an equivently rated hotel that is tons better. To start off with this extended stay does have a kitchenette to use but if you dont have plates, cups, or cooking utinsels expect to have to either go to store and buy what you need or purchase it from the office for a additional fee. The room was good size but the only available was smoking and boy did it have stench. I left the window open and bought air fresheners.....didn't help, not even the slightest bid. The bed, and one of my biggest complaints was an old style matteress without a boxspring. It was simply place atop a raised piece of plywood. Let me tell you, there is no good kind of sleeping on that. It was unbearable, we ended up leaving after only spending two nights there and renting another hotel for a night while we searched for another extended stay in the area with available rooms for the remainder of our stay. Also, I found out that this extended stay seems to be a semi-perminate home for some of the residents. Our neighbors caused me to awaken due to a fight they had at 1am. The next morning when I reported this to the manager and security person they knew the couple by name and explained they would take care of it. Why are they still allowed to stay there is this is a regular occurance? The manager explained to me this couple has lived there for approx. 2 years, and I thought it was an extended stay hotel...not an appartment complex. Needless to say I didn't want to stay there another night. This hotel also does not offer refunds on any part of your stay, even if you check-out with no intent on returning. The only thing the manager could offer us was to provide us with an additional matteress for more comfort on the bed. So now we are out what we paid for the week for this room and what we are paying for another room. Save your time, your back, and go get some rest in a different hotel. We will never be returning to a Value Place due to this one experience.

Room Tip: No advice, my opinion is to find an alternative facility to stay.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have a lot of clients that visit us for extended stays to attend training and I often recommend this place to those who are price conscious. They can get a larger room, with a sofa, for the week, for what it costs for 2 or 3 days at a regular hotel. Staff is very accommodating, friendly and helpful. The hotel is only 2 or 3 years old so it's in very good shape. Rooms are clean and everything is well maintained. They all have a small kitchen if that is important to you.

Room Tip: The back side, opposite the Interstate is more quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SJCA_Cruiser
Heather L, Manager at WoodSpring Suites Birmingham Pelham, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! We hope that you will chose Value Place again if you are ever in need of a place to stay. Thank you for the positive review. That's what we strive for every day.