Comfort Suites Oxford
$242
$179
$161
Fairfield Inn
All reviewsroom was cleanpull out sofaking bedspacious breakfast areaother hotelssoftball tournamentovernight stopstayed two nightsdefinitely stay here againa great staycontinental breakfastyogurtdeskleftoversalabamapillowsmotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I've been staying at the Comfort Suites in Oxford several times a year since this location when travelling back to Tennessee to see family.

The rooms have always been clean and comfortable. It's a relatively new hotel, so the furnishings are fine, too. The only complaint I've ever had, is one time when I booked, all they had available was a king bed with a pull out sofa...there were no double queen bed rooms. The pull out sofa was extremely uncomfortable. We had put my daughter there first, and she complained about it being uncomfortable, so I told her to get in bed with my wife and I would sleep on the pull out...well, I didn't get much sleep. Since then, we've always booked far enough ahead that they have two beds available.

We also like the fact that its right next door to an IHOP, for those nights when we get in late and want to grab something to eat.

I put July 2011 as when I stayed here, because it was the most recent time. We will be staying here again over Christmas, as its a perfect stop-over location. Unless the CS of Oxford goes downhill fast, or their rates go way up, will be be staying here anytime we have to stop in the Oxford/Anniston area.

1  Thank Landfall74
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice, the first time went okay, it was late in the afternoon and didn't want to drive farther to the next town. My first red flag was not quoting me the correct AAA rate, which they provide to Choice Hotels quarterly. As a Diamond member I am afforded the same rate no matter what channel I use to make a reservation. They increased the rate by $10.00 dollars, but after some friction, they acquiesced to the correct rate.

If I am staying at a hotel for just one night and on an extended road trip, I always try and pay cash, just to protect myself against identity theft (which has happened to me at a hotel just like this one). I always call ahead and ask if that will be a problem. This hotel didn't require a deposit, but wanted to make a copy of my Driver's License, which is fine as long as I get the copy back upon check out and they do not put my DL number in their computer. The front desk clerk, Donna, assured me that both my requests would be met.

The room wasn't anything special, basic furnishing for this brand hotel, it was clean, but the shower curtain hadn't been changed from the previous guests and it was dirty and soured. I received a new shower curtain and my night's sleep was fine. The really weird part is they have their towel rack mounted inside the shower with you, so your towels get nice and wet by the time you need to use them.

Breakfast was a bit strange, my husband went down and got coffee, milk, cereal (which was stale) for both of us and brought a small tray to carry it. He said they stared at him and the GM commented "you must be really thirsty". This tells me what a cheap hotel this is, watching how much food is consumed by each guest is just petty. The guest pays for that breakfast no matter how much they're eating.

Upon checkout, no real issues, they checked the room and I received the copy of my Driver's License and was assured it had not been put in their computer.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: I had to go back to that area about a month later. I thought I would stay here again since I knew the hotel. I was checking in and went to sign my registration card and looked down and sure enough, my Driver's License Number was staring at me on the folio!!!!!!!!!

They completely lied to me! I was assured my DL Number would not be put in their computer. This is exactly how I was identity thefted before. I immediately asked why it was there and of course the clerk had no idea. I asked her to remove it, she did and made a copy of my folio to show me she did it. It was late and I had no choice but to stay the night.

The next morning upon checkout the GM was no where to be found, we were told to try and reach her later in the day. My husband called later to inquire why this happened, the GM,
Teresa Gonshor, stated it's their policy for all guests, especially cash paying customers, they keep the information. She could have cared less and basically stated that. He asked her why the clerk lied to us and why they keep personal information in their computer after a guest leaves the hotel. She just kept saying, "that's the way we do it". Just as condescending as she could be! Bottom line: She didn't care about her clerk lying to me or any liability issues.

This hotel has a huge hole in the security of their guest's information! A hotel should only be keeping information for the length of a guest's stay. After checking the room for damage, a hotel has no need to keep this information. This is a huge liability for any hotel, especially this one!

BE AWARE! This hotel retains your personal information in their computer. Anyone with access to their computer system has your name, address, phone number and Driver's License Number (and if you pay with a credit card, your card number). How many fake ID's can you see being made with this kind of information?

Knowing the hotel lies to you, cheap about their breakfast, maids don't change out shower curtains after each guest and their nasty attitude should be enough reasons for you to keep driving and skip this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
13  Thank Choice-MemberDiamond
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Room small but nicely furnished and very clean. Even though it had a flat screen tv, it's not possible to see it from the desk (Your back is to it!!) and you can only see about 2/3 of it from the loveseat-size sofa. Handicap room did not have a walk-in shower nor a hand held shower unit. Nice location with many stores and restaurants close by. Priced competitively with other chain hotels with same rating class in the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank M H
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Don't stay here if you want two beds. They have taken rooms big enough to accommodate 1 king bed and stuck 2 queens in it...one bed is shoved up against the air conditioner and the other bed is up against the half wall that seperates the sofa area. Also, they allow construction crews to stay here who leave the hotel at 4:30 a.m. and they are NOT quiet.

3  Thank CaroleB055
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We stayed 1 night at this Comfort Suites on our way to Arkansas. It was very clean and comfortable and the breakfast was good for this type of hotel. There are quite a few hotels in this area. This one is definitely a safe bet.

1  Thank Augusta_Chuck