“Loved the hotel, hated the food.”

Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Oxford
Jacksonville, Alabama
“Loved the hotel, hated the food.”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We got one of their Wirlpool suites and it was fantastic. Having the tub in the main part of the room near the bed was great. Being able to watch TV and relax in the tub was far superior to being tucked away in a separate room. The shower/toilet room was a little cramped but looked very nice and the shower was huge. The rest of the hotel was very nice and all of the staff we interacted with were hospitable and quickly took care of everything we asked for. We will absolutely stay here again.

The food on the other had was terrible. It wasn't "expensive" compared with other sit down restaurants in the area. The selection was pretty limited and the portions weren't small but oh my god did the food suck. The dinner rolls were rock hard and their salad croutons were sweet which was a little off putting. I ordered the fish and chips. The batter wasn't light and flaky like you would expect. It was super hard like a fish stick and was extremely grainy. The fish itself was good and cooked perfectly but I had to strip all of the batter off to eat it. The fries were way over cooked and lacked any seasoning. . My wife ordered the NY Strip steak with bacon mashed potatoes. The steak was seasoned well but the quality of cut didn't measure up. All of the fat was rock hard and the steak itself was tough. The mashed potatoes tasted ok but there were huge chunks of soggy bacon which huge chunks of fat attached to them. This was a textural nightmare. This was something I'd expect at Denny's for $9.95, not $19. By the way, they have Kraft Mac n Cheese on the kid's menu for $4. I suggest leaving the hotel for food. There are tons of choices in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bethany S, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, responded to this review, December 30, 2014
We are so sorry that you experienced this while staying with us. If you would like to speak with someone directly at the hotel, please contact us at 2568310083. We would love to have another chance to make it right. We are glad you did enjoy our property as well as our staff. We hope to have you stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Richwood, United States
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great place to stay, great food, cant say enough about the staff excellent. They were all friendly, I stayed here 4 weeks, got to know most of the workers. They all had time to talk. Almost forgot the breakfast were great. Try the steak,

1 Thank David T
David,

Thank you so much for your review of Hilton Garden Inn in Oxford! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you will choose to stay with us again if you return to our area!
Picayune, United States
Reviewed February 20, 2014

My NJROTC team travels to this hotel several times a year. We are always pleased with the service received and the breakfast is great. They even opened a little early so that we could feed the kids before their early morning competition.

1 Thank Steven H
Steven,

We appreciate your kind words about our hotel so much! We are always happy to go above and beyond for our loyal customers. We look forward to seeing you again!
Nashville, TN
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I came to the Oxford/Anniston area on business. This hotel is located conveniently on I-20 and is surrounded by great restaraunts. The decor is updated. The rooms are spacious enough, but I would say they are about average compared to what I've seen in similar properties. The desk space in the room works but is a little cramped.

I had some trouble with my room, but the staff prompty addressed the problem and even offered to put me up at one of their sister hotels next door. I decided to wait and have it fixed, and I'm glad I did because it didn't take as long as I originally thought it would.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially someone traveling on business. It's very quiet.

John,

Thank you for the great review! We are so happy we could solve the problem in your room in due time. We hope to have you stay with us again when returning to Oxford!
Pleasant Grove, United States
Reviewed February 19, 2014

You can not beat the service you get for a low price. We received a FREE made when ordered hot breakfast. The room was very clean, spacious and nice. The only complaint we had were the mattresses were very hard and uncomfortable and the bed linens were very thin. Other than that the staff was extremely nice and helpful. We would stay here again :)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Carl,

Thank you so much for the kind review of our hotel! Our associates at the front desk would be happy to help you adjust the settings on the beds to soften it next time you stay with us. We look forward to having you here again!
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The cleanliness was good, the maid services took a bit long to service the rooms to me, the hotel sits in a good area. Lots of food choices within walking distance , close to shopping areas. Now this is what was very unsatisfactory, at about 830 a.m, we started hearing a bunch of yelling. Room 209 (where we stayed in a Jr. Suite) sits right above the indoor pool below us on the first floor. All we could hear was children yelling and screaming. Very disturbing especially at such an early time. Our stay from Feb 13-15 was overall good.

• Stayed February 2014
We are so sorry that you had this problem while staying with us. We hope that you will choose us while staying in Oxford again. We would be happy to make sure that you are away from any noise!
Georgetown SC
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Due to traffic following an ice storm I found myself searching for a hotel and being a Hilton Honors member I naturally searched for that chain. I happened on the Garden Inn in Oxford and what a great decision that turned out to be. Needless to say I was stressed after fighting traffic for almost 10 hours and having my trip come to an abrupt halt. Well, when I made it to the front desk to try and get a room I encountered what may be the best desk clerk in the hotel business, her name is Darcy and by the time we got my reservation cancelled for the hotel I had hoped to reach and got me checked in it seemed that a huge load had been lifted from my sholders and all of this was due to the professional, friendly way that Darcy handled the whole thing. I spend a lot of time in hotels and this lady sets the standard for how the front desk should be managed and guests should be treated. If I am ever in Oxford again I will be sure and stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: upper floors away from elevator tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
AngSmith, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
WOW!
Thank you for not only taking the time to write a review, but write a lengthy review to commend our team member Darcy! She truly is a unique person that really has a gift to care. I hear all the time from our guests how friendly, caring and professional she handles herself and any issues occuring at our property. Due to your acknowledgement, I will nominate Darcy for our Team Spirit Award. Hopefully, she will be one of the few winners selected by Hilton on a monthly basis. Please return when in the area and I am sure Darcy would like to thank you for your acknowledgement and kind words.

Angela Smith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oxford
Home2 Suites by Hilton Oxford
Comfort Suites Oxford
Comfort Suites Oxford
#7 of 18 in Oxford
Courtyard Anniston Oxford

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston? Share your experiences!