“Wonderful Stay!”

Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Augusta, Georgia
“Wonderful Stay!”
Reviewed September 5, 2009

My husband had a meeting in OB so I tagged along for a 2 day vacation. Second stay at this Holiday Inn and I love it! No complaints whatsoever. Employees are friendly and helpful. Ocean front room was impeccable. Pool area was relaxing...just a few yards from the beach. Breakfast was good.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Southeast Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My 3 kids (13, 10, & 6), my mom and I stayed for 2 nights here. It was everything I expected - nothing more, nothing less. I wanted to stay "on the beach" but not pay the condo prices-this hotel is great for that. The room was clean and nothing out of the ordinary. The kids loved the pool and we all loved the beach.
The staff was polite and friendly. The breakfast was decent for continental.
I am glad I read the reviews on here and chose HIE on the beach!

• Stayed July 2009
Carencro, Louisiana
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We stayed here for the first time in September 2007 and knew we would be back! The place has been remodeled quite a bit in the last two years. We arrived on the Thursday before Mother's Day, May 8th, and there was a problem with computers being down, but the Guest Experience Champion Mathew Spivey handled it like a pro, assigning our room, distributing our card key and checking us in without the benefit of technology. Assisting him was Suzanne Parker, Director of sales, also handling a large group for a regional track meet and not holding anyone up. Our room # 613, was clean and a good size with a fridge and microwave . I always bring my own coffeepot and coffee.

Pool area and water was clean and landscaping perfectly manicured as on our previous visit. Drink cabana serves really good drinks and snacks but drinks are pricey. If you want a table with umbrella, get out early as there should be a few more out there to accomodate peak occupancy. Make sure you get beach towels from main desk as they are larger than the bathroom ones. Since the beach is a short walk down boardwalk, most of the people end up at pool at end of day. Beaches are clean, powdery white and water beautiful. Bring your own beach chairs and umbrellas as you have to rent them and can be pricey. There is a CVS Drug Store down Perdido Beach Blvd., where we bought a nice beach chair with its own canopy for $24. which paid for one days rental. CVS also had beach umbrellas for sale.

For breakfast, their hard-working Express Breakfast attendant Christa made sure that we had everything we needed for our complimentary breakfast. The items on buffet included: Mini-muffins(poppy seed lemon, blueberry), bagels, english muffins, white/wheat bread, homemade biscuits/white gravy, 4 different dry cereals, milk(Vit.A, 2%), yogurt, coffee(de-caff.& caff.) homecooked egg & cheese omelets,sausage patties, juices(apple & orange), butter,jellies,peanut butter tubs, sweet rolls. I suggest you go eat breakfast early as it does get crowded right around 8-9. The room attendants, landscapers, and the entire group of
people I have encountered at this place are always smiling, positive and helpful. They truly like their jobs and it shows with how well all of them perform.

There is a souvenir shop next door, and restaurants within walking distance of hotel. Make sure you check out The Wharf which has great restaurants, bars, and shops, Rave movie theatre, ferris wheel, and many other businesses. . Ask at desk for directions or go to mapquest online and enter destination of The Wharf at 23101 Canal Rd, Orange Beach, AL 36561. It has only been there (3) yrs.

One last note, I do bring my laptop with me everywhere and I had to move my laptop from one side of room to another to get Wi-Fi connection, but had no difficulty with internet connection once moved.

I hope this helps your vacation go smoothly. Let me know how you enjoyed it. I would love to hear from you. Susan

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gotoperson
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed July 20, 2009

After a week in Destin my family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange Beach. As a travel professional for many years I have seen and stayed at numerous hotels and resorts. I have to say I have never been so disappointed in a property. The excellent feedback and the hotel website made me feel confident in staying here. I suppose it's all about your expectations. We used priority points and paid an additional 60.00 for the night. The going rate was over 350.00. I felt 60.00 was the most anyone should ever pay for this marginal hotel. The hotel was clean and staff was nice...especially the front desk. However it was just average. They had a tacky mural on the wall and outdated furniture in the lobby. (Several other Holdiay Inn Express hotels in the area looked far better.) It was almost comical coming from the Hilton Sandestin. The beach here was so dirty with cigarette butts and trash everywhere. My kids didn't even want to get into the water. The pool was nice but really small. We enjoyed the breakfast in the morning but could otherwise not wait to leave. If you are looking for this kind of environment, well at least it was clean.

2 Thank TRVLMOMSTL
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We traveled a long 18 hours from Milwaukee, WI to enjoy the best vacation ever. The hotel was very clean - I believe they had recently renovated part of it. The staff was excellent! The front desk and housekeeping called us everyday asking if we needed anything and how everything was. The drinks at the poolside bar were very tasty and the bartender was very nice and helpful (one of the people in our group was stung by a jellyfish and he told us the best remedy - although kind of odd and a little gross, it worked!)
It was by far the best stay at the best value to be able to walk right outside and be on the beach. The breakfast bar was nice with a variety of things to eat. I can't rave enough about the stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Chilly-in-Milwaukee
Memphis
Reviewed June 10, 2009

You can't go wrong staying here. From the wide, super-clean beach to the Sand Bar snack hut, we were glad we chose it based on other reviews. The staff was super friendly, especially the morning breakfast crew. Even though we brought 2 teenagers, we all felt comfortable in the 2-queen bed room. Would have liked an ocean-front room, but the price wasn't worth it, and we had an ocean-view somewhat from a side room. We highly recommend Lillian's Restaurant--go east on Beach Blvd into Florida and look for the sign on your left. And a little gem, Franco's Italian Restaurant is right down Beach Blvd to the east--great food and service. Would have liked to eaten at LuLu's in Gulf Shores, but the wait was 2 hours--get there very early should you go.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingirlMemphis
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We have just returned from a long-weekend on the beach. Hubby and I stayed here and we were very pleased with our stay, the staff, and the location !
We stayed May 29th - June 1st - GREAT TIMING just ahead of the summer crowd, but the weather was perfect.

Best Points:

* Staff was always friendly and helpful - so were the other guests !
* LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION ! Great beach and grand location
* Tacky Jacks on the Warf - great restaurant / bar
* Hotel and rooms were clean, and comfy
* White sandy beaches and wonderful water
* Housekeeping was effecient and unobtrusive
* Room balcany makes a great dryer for your wet swimsuits and towels
* Outstanding Pools / Hot Tub

Drawbacks:

* The elevator is slow - but there are stairs
* Rooms can be a little small - but we were there for the beach !
* Slight musty smell in the room
* Breakfast buffet is 'blah' but the food staff works hard
* "Rental Only' chairs on the beach ?!? Bring your own !

We will definatly be back for another long weekend, and would recommend this hotel among all the other larger, more expanisve ones.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple