“Could be improved”

Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
“Could be improved”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was disappointed in this room. The mattress was at least 20 years old. I could feel the springs through the mattress. Being older it was very uncomfortable for myself and my husband. Could not regulate the air conditioning, if you set it on 75 it got too cold, then if you raised the temp it would cut off and of course you could not breathe because no air circulated. Also, this hotel needs a service elevator. Most of the time you must wait and wait for the elevator because someone in the service or maintenance is on the elevator. And, we rode with 2 very large trash cans full of stinky garbage. It was not a nice experience. For the price of these rooms I would expect better. We reserved an ocean view room because I like to sit on the deck and watch the ocean and people. Honestly, the 2 chairs on this deck couldn't have cost $2 each. My husbands buckled when he sat down. Cheap plastic and no table to set your drink on. I was very disappointed for the price it was ridiculous. We will book one of the newer condos or the new Hampton when we go back. Really and 20 year old mattress and $2 chairs??? Very disappointed

1 Thank mcculy
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you very much for your candid review about your recent stay. I am so very sorry to hear about all the issues you encountered during your stay with us. Please be assured I have addressed these issues with both my line level staff and management staff. It is because of comments such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests. Please contact me directly at cgale@innisfree.com so I can discuss your recent stay further with you. I hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to serve you and your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Rogersville, Alabama
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nice location on the beach, liked the fact you could rent beach chairs and have them charged to your room. Nice pool with a bar. Friendly and helpful staff. I have stayed here several times and will stay again. As with all hotels/condos on the beach, the price is high.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After reading the reviews below mine, I was completely surprised to see the bad reviews! We made NO reservations before we went and once we got in our room, decided to stay for 5 nights! I have O.C.D and had NO issues with the room (and trust me- my husband is VERY thankful of that)! There was not a single hair in our tub when I checked - and trust me- I CHECKED!!! Our room had: nice carpet, no lumpy pillows and a balcony with a BEAUTIFUL view! The staff were all WONDERFUL -ok - almost all- a few @the front desk- could learn not to take life SO seriously&SMILE :)! Our daughter got stung by a jelly fish and it was looking VERY bad!! A lady @the front desk told me how to treat the sting and it worked just like she had said it would! We needed a needle and thread - the front desk had one! The ladies in house keeping were GREAT! We had NO staffing issues with any of them- the went above and beyond for us! I must say though- the towels do have a weird stink to them though (& that's laundry's issue- not housekeeping)!! We are planning another trip and will NOT look for another hotel! We enjoyed EVERY bit of our stay! &Yes the elevator is slow (because everyone is using the same one for 120 rooms or some crazy number) BUT we just took the stairs and all was fine!! Michelle@the breakfast bar NEVER stopped moving! She just kept refilling and refilling things to ensure that nothing ever ran out! My only thought is that they should move the juice machine to the other side so you don't have to carry your drink while getting your food&it would make getting a refill WAY easier- but I'm not going to mark them down for something silly like that!! They rotated the meat they served every day and that made it nice (bacon, ham& sausage)! They have a WONDERFUL pancake making machine! You push the button and a minute later 2 pancakes pop out! Plenty to eat and a wide variety of hot and cold! Laundry facility on site! Ohhhh.....this was SO nice!! Our room was VERY quiet and we couldn't hear any of our neighbors! &The ice machine was working just fine when we were there! :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank reviewofmytime
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such great feedback from your recent stay with us. It is refreshing to hear that you had such a good time and that our staff was so attentive. We hope you come back to see us again soon.
Conroe, Texas
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The one thing this hotel has is a good location on the beach. Also has a nice pool. As for the room I must disagree with other reviewers. Small basic room. The A/C kept we awake half the night with the noise. The carpet was disgusting, the bed was uncomfortable. Breakfast is typical HI Express, so nothing to review as for food.
Front desk staff seem bored and unwilling to go out of they way to service. When asked for our bill they told us it was in the room (which was not, we travelled enough to know you would normally get the bill by the door so we looked for it before leaving the room) and would not give us a copy because we booked thought a third party (Expedia) and we should get a bill from them. Huh?

2 Thank hech
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your candid review about your recent stay with us. I am so very sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience at our hotel. Please be assured I have addressed the issues you encountered with both my management staff and with my line level employees so we may correct the issues before another guest experiences the same thing. Again, thank you for your candid review. It is because of feedback such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We've stayed here several times and really enjoy it. Rooms are always clean and comfortable. Free breakfast is tasty and has a good selection of hot and cold foods. Pool is great, staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
It is great to hear that you had a great time at our hotel. The breakfast is definitely one of a kind. I will make sure to celebrate your great feedback with my staff.
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband commented that the rooms were very much smaller than he expected, really drab and very basic as to amenities. It also had a musty odor. It was clean enough, but not as sparkly as the price would suggest. It would be a five star review if the price were about half what we paid.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a great experience at our hotel. It is because of feedback such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests. I hope you will give us another chance in the future to serve you and your family.
Montgomery
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The toilet in the room next to ours over-flowed. The hotel staff used a shop vac to clean up the mess. This started at 8:45 pm. After an hour of listening to the shop vac, I called the front desk to complain. The staff said they were almost finished and would be stopping soon. The vacuumed stop about 5 minutes later. Hotel needs some updating. The carpet in the room was old and needed replacing. Elevators are also very slow at this hotel. We waited about 3 minutes each time for the elevator.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid review about your recent stay with us. It is because of comments such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests. I am very sorry that the maintenance that was occurring was late in the evening, but due to the extent of the overflow the water needed to be removed as quickly as possible to avoid further damage. I will make sure if this occurs again that the front desk notifies the surrounding rooms before any emergency repairs are done. Again, I am very sorry you had a negative experience at our hotel and please be assured I have addressed the issues with my management staff so we may improve our service to our guests.