“Great Gulf Shores Hotel”

Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Oklahoma City
“Great Gulf Shores Hotel”
Reviewed July 27, 2007

We loved our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. Each room has a balcony. Our view was great, we had a pool view but could also see the beach from our balcony. It was a short walk over the boardwalk to the beach. The pool was perfect for our daughter. The staff was friendly and James the pool bartender couldn't have been a nicer guy and great with the kids. We would definitely stay here again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Restaurant opened for breakfast only
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank OkieOSUFamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Madison, AL
Reviewed June 29, 2007

This is a five star staff, everyone smiles and is pleasant. They go beyond the call of duty and treat their guests well. I highly recommend.

We checked into this hotel on June 28th (a week before July 4th) and had a wonderful experience from the beginning. The hotel itself is standard Hilton Garden Inn. The rooms are clean and the room is standard. We had a pool/ocean view which was okay. I'm an early riser and took advantage of the view in the mornings. It looks like only 9 rooms have a direct ocean view--all the others are on the sides. (I will make a complaint about the smell of bacon from the kitchen, but only because I'm a vegetarian and the smell turned my stomach).

The hotel sits directly on the gulf. The sand is white. The location is excellent. We met some friends in Gulf Shores which is about 5 minutes down the strip.

Stayed June 2007
Nashville, TN
Reviewed April 3, 2007

This was one of the best long weekend beach trips I've ever had. The staff at this hotel was very friendly and accommodating. Especially Trent at the front desk - he rocks and went way above excellent to take care of us. The property is clean yet could use some small updates. Our room was wonderful and the view amazing. Watch out for the pool bar however, it seems they like to keep your tab open so as to automatically add an 18% gratuity, even if you tip with cash. All in all it was a great experience and I would definitely go back again.

• Liked — friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — manipulation of the pool bartender - double tipping process
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
South
Reviewed July 26, 2006

I just returned from my stay at Hilton Garden Inn. I must say that for a 3 star hotel i was very disappointed. I arrived early and was told that my room was not ready but they could put me in a smoking room if I wanted. I declined and was told a room would be ready for me between 2 and 4pm. The staff said we could go the the pool area and wait. I was told there was a changing room near the pool. This was just a bathroom. Try changing yourself and a child in a bathroom stall !! The pool was very small. The inside pool and outside pool was THE SAME POOL, part was inside the breezway. Wide rubber flaps separated the inside and outside pool. Music was ok at the pool. It was hard for children to play because of the adults in the pool "passed out" on large air mats. After a while I went back to the front desk and they said they could get me in room. The room seemed clean on initial inspection. When I returned to the front desk and asked for a luggage cart I was told I could find one out the back door. Where was the help?? They were all sitting on the carts out the back door!!! I will stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — beach front
  • Disliked — crappy elevators and dirty carpet
  • Tips/Secrets — its not worth what you pay
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank letmetellyou
Montgomery, AL
Reviewed July 4, 2006

My wife and I spent three nights at the Orange Beach Hilton over Fourth of July weekend. We had an excellent time and would consider staying there again.
On the negative side, the rooms were pretty expensive and the hotel was noisy one of the nights we were there due to some rowdy guests who were there for the weekend.
For the most part, however, we really liked our stay. The hotel was almost completely full and almost everyone there was very quiet and friendly. There were alot of families celebrating the Fourth. I can't say enough about the staff. Every single person who worked there was excellent. Extremely friendly and helpful. From the maids to the bartenders to the restaurant employees - everyone of them made out stay as comfortable as possible.
As for the accomodation, we both liked our room and the beach was great. The pool was a little bit small, but music was played by the hotel and it was a very fun and festive atmosphere. The only downside to the accomodations seemed to be that the icemakers were usually empty. Lots of people brining coolers to the beach and the icemakers weren't filling up quickly enough.
All in all we had a great weekend and really liked the Hilton.
Unless I just want to try something new next time we'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2006
3 Thank TomMontgomery
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2006

My family just returned from vacation at this hotel. It was very quiet. You couldn't hear a thing from the other rooms, no traffic noise, etc. We were upgraded from a room with 2 queens to a spacious Kingsize suite with a sofa bed and 2 bathes. Of course the sofa bed was uncomfortable, so our 5'1" daughter just slept on the couch. At this age she prefered the privacy. Don't expect too much of it as the doors between the rooms are glass with no curtains. Has a great place to hold groceries and a small fridge. We had a great time!
We used my husbands Hilton Honors points which rates this Hotel as a 5. I have stayed at several other hotels with this rating and they were much more luxurious! The one at Universal Studios in LA for example! I would give this one a 3. I guess it's the location.
The only problems during our stay was the fire alarm went off (due to a dryer overheating.) . My daughter heard it in the living area but my husband never heard it in the bedroom. They should really ring the phones to alert people. They also didn't make sure people left their rooms as there were people sitting on balconies. One of the elevators broke at about the same time so we decided to go up the stairs rather than wait.
This hotel went through a recent renovation and it had new carpeting, bedspread and furnishings. We paid $179.00 for one extra night.

• Stayed June 2006
13 Thank luannski
Reviewed June 5, 2006

We have visited this hotel since it opened in 1996. They have completely refurbished the hotel after Hurricane Charlie. The lobby is beautiful with cookies every evening. Towels are always available as are chairs and umbrellas at the beach. The hurrican took away the white boardwalk, but it is now a very short walk to the beach! The pool is outdoor/indoor and always heated year-round. That is why we love to visit this hotel in the winter months. From April through the end of the summer, a great snack hut is by the pool with drinks, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc., so you can literally stay at the hotel all day.

The rooms are standard with refrigerators, microwaves, and beautiful views. The price for the beachfront is worth it if you prefer to wake up to the sound of the waves crashing. No hotels or large condos nearby so the beach is quite secluded...never too busy for our young children...even in the middle of the summer. We love the location between the hustle and bustle of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

A great place to stay for a few days...and you are not at the beach to stay in the room anyway. The beds and pillows are new in the renovations last year, and there are always fresh sheets and towels. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. We love the small office for all visitors in the lobby area to check out local attractions on the internet and restaurant menus. Crico's Pizza does deliver here from Gulf Shores....outstanding greasy pizza!!!!!! So glad they made it through the hurricane! Other great resturants within 5 miles....Mikee's, Franco's, Jake's Steakhouse, etc.

• Stayed April 2006