“Good choice for the price”

Sleep Inn Gulf Front Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Louisiana
“Good choice for the price”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

My husband and two kids (ages 10 and 8) made a weekend getaway to Orange Beach and stayed at the Sleep Inn for the first time. When booking the hotel, I was looking for a place at a reasonable price that was on the beach and clean, period. Sleep Inn was a good choice considering my criteria. We found the hotel clean and it was right on the beach, so my needs were met.

That being said, I will note that the standard rooms are VERY small--we couldn't move in any direction without bumping into each other. We had two double beds in the room. Standard room bathrooms have just a shower and toilet--no bathtub. The sink is just two feet from one of the beds. There was no refrigerator and no microwave in the room, though guests could access a microwave in the breakfast area downstairs if need be. We stayed on the top floor and found the elevators extremely slow. If you stay here, I recommend requesting a room on the second or third floor and plan to take the stairs a lot when you're not moving luggage. It will save you a lot of time. Pool was good. There's no guest laundry, unfortunately. I like to wash the kids' beach towels every day if I can as they get smelly pretty quickly when they've been out at the beach.

However, all in all, I have to say that considering that I got the room at a good price ($135/night in peak season), I will stay here again. I was grateful to find a clean hotel on the beach. My other comments are not intended as complaints--just pointing out a few things that will be important to some travelers. I do recommend staying here if you don't mind a small standard room. I noticed the suites are quite spacious if you don't mind paying more.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
New Orleans, LA
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel about 8 times in the past seven years. In past stays, we've taken the approach that's a Sleep Inn at the beach and you get what you pay for. However, our most recent stay, was a very pleasant shift. Both elevators were operational, as were all the ice makers. They've replaced flooring and carpeting and converted some of the rooms to suites. Plus, the front desk staff was as friendly as always. Is the really small front desk adequate for the traffic it seems to attract, NO. But the staff though sometimes harried are always accommodating. As an example I offer the following experience from our trip last fall. We had a side view room reserved, not gulf front, and though we kept calling to make sure there were no cancellations, we arrived expecting the gulf side room. However, shortly after we'd checked in, we got a call from the front desk saying that a Gulf front room had come available and we were welcomed to claim it. Are two trips enough to declare victory? Probably not, but the renewed dedication of the staff is enough to make me think that a turnaround is in the work.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Picayune, MS
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We stayed 3 nights. The location was good ...right on the beach. The room was ok..like most in the area. It had some bad places in the shower, around the edges of the bathroom wall,the comforters needed washing. The service was good. Maids and front desk were nice. The pool is way too small for the amount of guests staying there. The children would jump right on top of you. The parking lot is cramped for the hotels size also. Can barely back out of parking spaces. The price was average for beachfront. Overall it was ok.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed June 1, 2009

That was our first thought when we walked up to this hotel. It didn't get any better once we were inside. We were "greeted" (if you can call it that) by two of the most unkempt, rudest people I have ever encountered. We were given the key to our room, and when we got to our room, I immediately noticed that the peep hole on the door was removed and replaced with a wadded up piece of toilet paper. When we went back to the front desk to request a room change, the employee looked extremely irritated, however changed our room. Our new room left much to be desired. Roughly the size of two walk-in closets put together, this room had no working A/C (a "repair man" was sent to the room to fix the problem, which consisted of him pulling wires out of the wall and duct taping them together), smelled like smoke (even though it was a non-smoking room), had holes in the privacy drapes, and a lovely ball of hair in the drain in the tub. This hotel was absolutely disgusting. So much so that we left two days early, staying only one night, and opting for a more expensive hotel down the street. Yes, the view of the gulf is nice. But who cares about that when you're so focused on whether or not you are going to need a tetanus shot when you check out? Do not stay here. Shell out the extra money and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Canechick82

Travelers are raving about these Orange Beach hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I didn't find the hotel dirty when I stayed there, but I could see how it would get that way. My biggest problem was the staff. Can I just say that I have never encountered a more useless group of people. As soon as we got into the hotel our toilet was clogged. I called the front desk and they told that we could come down and get a plunger. I refused, and it took the girl over 3 hours to unclogged our toilet, and she was incredibly rude. They only have one employee for the entire hotel for hours at a time. Also, every time we wanted to go swimming an employee was cleaning the pool and would not let us get in.
Finally, since check out is so early, we decided to stay on the beach after we had checked out. We went back into the hotel to change in the lobby bathroom, and they refused to let us in! After paying them hundreds of dollars to stay several nights! We had to pay three dollars to go to the public beach house.
I emailed the corporate site, but got no help whatsoever. This is not a good business establishment and should be avoided.
If I were you, I would stay at a place off the beach and drive to the VERY NICE public beach rather than stay here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — terrible staff!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank thetaphi09
louisiana
Reviewed October 12, 2008

my husband and I stayed at Sleep Inn during a weekend getaway last month. Although some of the reviews sounded pretty bad - this was the least expensive hotel that was located directly on the beach, we booked it anyway. We didn't have any problems at all - we found this hotel to be of good quality to be so reasonably priced. The room and lobby were clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. It wasn't disney world hotel clean but it was not disgusting. Our only concern were the elevators - they were a little slow and made some creepy noises. The shower was a large and had a door instead of a funky curtain , the pool area was nice and the 2 minute walk to the beach was awesome. we really enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — quick beach access
  • Disliked — the elevator
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristopherlorrai
Houma, LA
Reviewed September 10, 2008

We evacuated to orange beach for hurricane Gustav and needless to say the hotel choices were very slim. The first room we had was on the ground floor which had a very bad musty odor, and there were several very large cockroaches that came out at night. My friend went to the front desk to see about another room and was told that they had some bug spray that did not have a smell! She said I would rather sleep in my car than stay here, and only then was she offered a room on the 6th floor. This room was in much better shape; however, the floor was wet because rain had leaked in from the sliding glass door. If we could've found another hotel with rooms available we would have left because we ended up paying $114.95 a night for this hotel! Now the good: The rooms were very clean, but very small. The staff was very helpful. The gentlemen at the front desk even printed out instructions on how to get back to Louisiana and even told us about a shortcut. The hotel is in a great location with easy access to beach.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends