“Worth the money”

Sleep Inn Gulf Front Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The hotel was very nice and so were the employees. This is the first hotel at the beach I have ever stayed at that provided towels for the beach/pool area. The breakfast that was provided was better than any I have ever had a hotel free breakfast bar and the lady that worked it Betty was excellent. She was constantly stocking the waffles, fruit, yogurt, cereal, juice, milk, sausage and pastrys and cleaning. The only issues I did have was housekeeping but not terribly bad just some missed tasks. I would recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn Gulf Front Resort

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We booked 6 nights here based on experience with other Choice Hotels. Well, what a surprise! The website says pictures are from before the remodel--wow. I would hate to have seen it before! The lobby is tiny with a narrow hallway to the back that was packed with hollering adults and kids. The elevator was HOT and miserable. Then we got to the top floor. Hallway carpet was FILTHY, and it was dark and narrow. As others have said, the room was TINY! The only remodel we could see was new bedding (duvet-type) and new, colored paint. Oh, and perhaps a new sink/vanity. The tape and bed in the ceiling texture was cracking and falling down. There was mold in the ceiling corner. Oh, and did I mention how hot it was in the room although the a/c was turned all the way to cold?! We made a quick decision and went down the road to the Island House Hotel. They were very willing to accommodate us--and for only a slightly higher room rate. Believe me, it was WORTH IT! We came back to Sleep Inn and told the desk clerk we weren't staying. Fortunately she backed it out of the system and din't charge us or boy, the fight would have been on. No way would we pay for such a dump when we didn't stay there! Don't even waste your time considering this place--it's an embarrassment to the Choice Hotels chain.

Room Tip: Don't even consider this place--it's awful! And most rooms DON'T face the Gulf.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bondgirl42
Reviewed August 15, 2012

A couple girls and I decided to come to the beach for a few days. We arrived here and the staff was pretty friendly. No complaints there. We got one of the carts to load our stuff. Boy was it a small one. It didn't even hold 1/2 our stuff. You would think those things would be bigger. We get up to our room and get in and it was pretty nice. Saying it was SMALL was an understatement. lol That room, you barely had room to turn around. I was sadly disappointed there was only 1 chair and it was the chair at the desk. WOW! The room was clean, although the carpet felt VERY sticky. Good think I brought my house shoe flip flops because I would have kept my regular flip flops on the whole time. We had bought some sandwich meat and drinks to put in the fridge. After coming in from the beach we found that our fridge wasn't cooling. After trying to figure out the problem, we found that it wasn't even plugged in. That was crazy. Overall, the Hotel was ok. We had beach front so it wasn't a long walk to and from the beach. The elevators had NO A/C which was a bummer. I would recommend this hotel to others. We had a pretty nice stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katie T
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on an Wed./Thur. nights and couldn't have been more pleased. The front desk staff was incredibly helpful. The General Manager was very cordial and checked us in quickly. From the breakfast area, lobby, and rooms are very modern. The breakfast itself had many different items to choose from. If you are looking for a hotel on the beach, I would definitely recommend this one.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel experience was horrible. The room was TINY. When I say tiny, I mean unusually very small for a hotel room. The pictures on the website were very misleading. The bathroom light was out. The hallways and lobby smelled nasty and was very hot. The staff were anything but friendly. The breakfast was average. The elevator was down for most of our stay. The cost was unreal for what we got. The only positve thing I can say is that the location was good. One morning while walking to the stairway we saw the maids sitting in the floor in the main hallway folding linens-I mean what the heck? Terrible experince. Will never stay at Sleep Inn again!

Room Tip: don't stay here!!!!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed the two nights we spent at this beachfront hotel. The location is stellar; retail stores are conveniently across the street, and the beach is right out the back door. And what a beach it is! This was our first time to try out the Gulf Coast's sugar sand beaches, and we had a blast. We rented an umbrella and chairs (think it cost $20-25 for the day) and had the most relaxing time. We bought a couple of swim masks at the nearby Walgreens and spent hours checking out all the fish that would swim around us. When we were ready for a break, we just rinsed off and headed to our room.

Others have complained about the lack of a fridge and a bathtub. We had a cooler with us so we didn't miss the fridge, and the shower, although compact, was perfect for cleaning up after a day in the sand. And speaking of sand, this beachfront hotel didn't have the gritty carpets we've seen at other hotels so close to a beach.

Our only complaint would be the room size. Like most Sleep Inns, this one has really compact rooms: double beds (not queens), pocket door to the bathroom, not much space for suitcases. For our family (two parents and two teenagers), it was a little cramped, but because of the beach and other attractions, we didn't spend much time in the room anyway.

We plan to return to Orange Beach, and when we do, we hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: We did not have a gulf front room, but we were thrilled with the view from our balcony on the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2012

All I can say is that the sheets were clean and the a/c worked fine. But the entire hotel property looked like it needed a renovation 20 years ago. Dingy walls, filthy looking carpet, scars all over the walls/doors, cheap/worn out old furniture, small/thin towels, fire extinguishers missing, etc. It was $80 cheaper than any hotel in the area, but still way overpriced at $189. I was alone on business travel but my wife would never have stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business