“Good location for the price”

Sleep Inn Gulf Front Resort
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Barnard, Missouri
“Good location for the price”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We had beach front balcony rooms (because other rooms were sold out) and the view was incredible. Slept with the sliding door open to hear the waves. The staff was friendly and granted us a late check out (though we weren't lucky enough to get a early check in). Pool towels were plentiful and you didn't have to ask for them. The pool was nice and not too crowded. They had a nice shower/hose off area on the boardwalk between the hotel and the beach. They do have a breakfast buffet but it leaves a lot to be desired. For a family hotel I would expect more than cheerios and bran flakes for the cereal choices. They also had bread, muffins, pastries, yogurt, and sometimes oatmeal. It wasn't horrible but didn't have many choices. The rooms were clean and looked nice though small. We didn't have a bathtub just a large shower. There is a computer with internet access in the lobby. There is also a printer you can use (we printed some coupons!). Rooms have a small fridge thats great for leftovers but we had to use the microwave in the breakfast area (which a lot of people did!) We never had trouble finding parking. Though it is pricey, if we want a beachfront hotel we would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for late checkout - They let us have it!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Brandon, Mississippi
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I read the negative reviews on TripAdvisor, but thought that the hotel must be at least average. Wrong!

Our shower would not work! The water actually trickled out and ran down the back of the wall. We had to collect water in cups to take a "shower," and there was no bathtub. Can you imagine staying at a beachfront hotel with 2 children and no way to really shower?

The hotel and our room was hot! Our room never got below 80 degrees, even at night. The filter was filthy, as was most of the property. The staff did provide a fan for us, but it only helped a certain amount.

There was a hole around the sprinkler in the bathroom. My wife was scared that a hidden camera might be lurking in the bathroom.

The toilet rocked from side to side.

I hope you don't want lights in or around the pool.

We were promised a beach view from the balcony. You almost need a scaffold to see around the building to get a tiny view of the beach.

Every complaint to staff was met with a canned response.

Please don't stay here! I didn't listen to the other reviews and my family paid the price. We are easy to please, but we demand a shower and an adequate A/C for nearly $200 a night.

Room Tip: Get a room on the East side of the building. It has much better beach views. Much Better since ther...
8 Thank Traveler1million

Travelers are raving about these Orange Beach hotels

Biloxi, MS
Reviewed July 10, 2011

Spent 1 night and left. It is on the beach which is nice and management allowed us to use the facilities after we checked out at 11:00. But the room was tiny and so were the beds, you could feel the springs in the mattress, the drywall was peeling on the ceiling and the continental breakfast was minimal.

6 Thank Spb1954
North Vernon, Indiana
Reviewed June 15, 2011

The staff when we arrived were very nice. The room was nice and it was clean. I cannot think of anything that was what I would call bad. I would definatley stay there again!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TandT47265
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in June and thought the hotel was very disappointing. It lacks basic amenities I didn't even check for before I booked because you would just expect a hotel to have them-- it doesn't even have a mini fridge or microwave. The hotel advertises that they offer free wifi, but it didn't work for us the entire time we stayed. It would disconnect after a couple of minutes, and when it did connect it was so slow you couldn't pull up a single page. In other words, there really was no wifi.

The king room was very small. There is no tub in the bathroom but there is a roomy shower. The bathroom has a sliding wood door that doesn't close all the way. The carpet throughout the hotel and especially in the room is absolutely filthy. We asked to be moved to another room, but there wasn't one available, so we had to buy Lysol and spray the carpet to kill the mildew smell. The air conditioning in the room barely cools. The balcony is a joke-- it's not even big enough to stand on. The privacy drapes have holes in them, there are brown stains on the mattress, the mattress isn't very comfortable, and the comforter on it stinks. The hotel is an older one and I think it needs a total remodel. We had to call maintenance to our room twice during a 4-day stay.

The elevators are slow and occasionally stop between floors; an old man got stuck in one during our stay. There are only 2 ice machines, which are always empty, and two soda machines in the whole building. The staff is made up of a bunch of rude people who look at you like you've grown an extra head if you ask anything of them. The housekeeping staff was good 3 of the 4 days, but the last day the woman didn't leave us fresh towels or even really clean the room. The pool is very small and crowded. The breakfast consists of coffee, cereal, bagels, muffins, and sweet pastries.

I have nothing really positive to say about this place other than it's cheap compared to other places on this strip, so if you're on a major budget but want to spend a weekend on the beach (and you don't mind putting up with some unpleasant qualities in your hotel) it might work for you. I wouldn't want to bring my kids here because the rooms are so small, the pool is small, and there's no tub. I would strongly recommend you look into one of the condos in the area for a longer family vacation.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank AHMcWilliams
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My wife and I spent a wonderful weekend at the Sleep Inn in Orange Beach, Al for our anniversary. We had a beachfront room on the second floor with a king sized bed. The room had a small balcony that we sat on in the evening to look out on the gulf. The room was exceptionally clean compared to other gulf beach front hotels we have stayed at in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, AL. The bed was very comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front room, it is worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
South U.S.
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I've stayed here five times. It's definitely a "get what you pay for" hotel.It's on the beach, and rooms start at just over $100. You can't beat the price.

When I go down to the Gulf, I don't really stay in the hotel a lot, so I am not that picky. This hotel has always fitted our needs perfectly - easy beach access, free parking and wi-fi, free breakfast (and it's good, too), and a friendly staff. It isn't a palace, but it's clean enough - they could do a little better on cleaning the lobby/entrance area and the swimming pool. It's an older, no-frills hotel, but it does the job, especially for two people for just a weekend.

There is a shopping center and grocery store right across the street that is an easy walk - just watch for cars along the strip. There is also Hazel's Seafood Restaurant, also right across the street.

I've stayed throughout the spring and summer months, and never had any issues with parking at all. The balconies in the standard rooms are not sit-able and there isn't much of a view, but the ones on the ocean-side are sit-able and do have a gulf front view.

I'd recommend this for a weekend getaway, and to anyone who isn't picky and just wants a quick, fun trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple