“Nice Hotel in Orange Beach”

The Island House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Montgomery, Alabama
“Nice Hotel in Orange Beach”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I am a little late writing this review. I have stayed twice at the Island House, in Oct 2012 and in Sept 2013. Rooms/beds/bathrooms are good. All of their rooms have balconies facing the ocean. A restaurant in the ground floor serves good quality breakfast (not free - but if I remember correctly it wasn't too costly for the quality). We will probably go back again this fall.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Hotel is about 21 years old but for a beachfront hotel it is in great condition. The front desk is A-One always helpful. The location is where the action is and only 15 minutes from the Wharf a main attraction for Orange Beach. The rooms are spacious and clean with a full service in room kitchen.....We did not eat in the Restaurant in this hotel but there is one if you do not want to go out. I would definitely stay again if in the area

Room Tip: If you can get the Penthouse Corner 10th floor worth the money. The room has a double full bath and...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Jonesboro
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We recently stayed here when there was a large storm forecast for the area. The staff went out of their way to make sure everyone was safe and had a great stay. Storm never showed up, but the staff did. Thanks for a great stay. This was our second visit to this hotel and it will not be our last.

Room Tip: All rooms are gulf front. No smoking inside, you must be 10 ft away from building. There are covered...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LPAMIKE
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

This place has a very rude and nasty management staff. Heaven forbid you should lose or leave behind an item at this hotel. I had to continuously call this hotel nearly every day for over a week just to find out if they had found my friend's missing cell phone charger. One excuse after another as to why noone ever could call me back to tell me if it was there or not. When I finally got ahold of their "Lost and Found Manager", he was extremely rude and nasty to me and implied that I was an idiot for expecting someone to call me back. I had been told by the front desk staff repeatedly that someone would call me back regardless. This "manager" said to me, "Obviously, we don't have the charger since I was not called back." I told him that they should not promise to call someone back if they have no intention to do so to begin with and that it should not take over a week of my calling just to find out if they had found my friend's missing phone charger. I had him on speakerphone and commented to my boyfriend how I would never return to this hotel and that this whole situation was just unprofessional and ridiculous and was told by this "manager" that since I did not have anything nice to say about their company that he was going to hang up now. This further infuriated me and I ended up cussing him out and hanging up. Though I don't recommend cussing out management and hanging up, and this is not ordinarily something that I would have done, this man was so absurd and ignorant that I just could not help myself at the time. When you are staying at this hotel, the place looks clean and nice and the front desk staff is very pleasant and friendly and helpful. The cleaning staff leave alot to desire though. We did not appreciate being woken up between 9-9:30 am on a Saturday morning after driving in the night before from a 6+ hour drive. We had wanted to sleep-in but were rudely awakened by the housekeeping staff. Then we were also questioned by them as to when exactly we would be leaving our room that day so that they could return to clean. I realize that they have a job to do, but in all of my years of travel, I have never had this happen. It is rude and just so uncool and unappreciated. You have to pay $25.00 a day for use of the beach umbrellas/chairs which I find outrageous as well. The hotel may not have any control over this charge since I believe it is a local beach service company of some sort that charges for this, but the hotel should either inform you beforehand of this, or include this charge with your hotel stay. If you are staying here for several days, this charge can really add up. Despite all of this, my friend and I did enjoy our stay here and were planning to stay here again next year, but after the fiasco of the missing cell phone charger, and the nasty and very rude way that I was treated over the phone by that "manager" while simply trying to find out if it had been found there or not, I will NEVER EVER stay at this hotel again. As I said to begin with, if you do stay here, you will probably have a nice time here if you don't mind being rudely woken up early on a weekend morning and questioned by housekeeping as to when you will be vacating the room; and if you don't mind paying $25.00 a day for use of a beach umbrella and chair; the fact that the on-site restaurant doesn't stay open very long; that the management people are rude and nasty; and that if you lose or leave behind an item you are basically screwed and out of luck and will receive no sympathy or help by management; that when you book a room here and expect a beachfront/oceanview you have to be very specific that you don't want a room overlooking the swimming pool (we were very lucky that someone cancelled their reservation that weekend and were switched to their room) or you will be very disappointed; there are no microwaves or mini-fridges in the rooms unless you pay $25. or more a day extra. The bathtubs are abit smaller than I normally am used to . You turn around in the shower and your arms touch the walls, not cool. Makes me feel dirty. If all of these things don't bother you, then by all means, book a room here and take your chances. It could go either way. Good Luck to you.

I will also add that I was unable to catch this "manager's" name so when I called back later to obtain it, not only was I questioned as to who I was, but they refused to give me any information or the name of this manager. I find that very curious, that seems a very odd thing to keep secret. It is quite obvious to me that this "manager" alerted the front desk that should I call back, to not give out any information about him or the hotel. Why else would they not give out a "manager's" name? Any company that conducts their business in such a rude and unprofessional manner, makes me wonder about them and it certainly makes me not want to deal with them ever again, which of course, I won't. Food for thought.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank goddessbrandy416
Island House Ho... M, General Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
The Island House Hotel takes pride in the quality of a stay for our guest and the conduct of our employees they share with our guests. When a guest is missing a treasured item when they get home an calls the hotel for our lost and found department, calls are returned in a very timely fashion. This guest was not a registered paying guest: she was here with friends. Her phone was not receiving calls the two times we tried to communicate with her to explain that we did not have her charger. She checked out on 10/14 and called on 10/20 to report her concern. Our lost and found employee called her number 4 times on 10/24: got mailbox on 10/25- line full-no answer. We keep records of our communications. We have also trained our employees not to tolerate rude and foul language at any time, which unfortunately they received from this caller and which was totally uncalled for. We do apologize for housekeeping knocking on their door at 9:30am and disturbing their rest. We do have "No Service Signs" in each room that had it been placed on the outside door knob this would not have occurred. The guest complained that our cafe does not keep good hours- it is open from 7am until 3pm. Our bar opens at 1pm til for guest enjoyment. We do offer room service as well, so arrangements could have beeen handled accordingly. Our only other comment from the hotel is that our employees are enititled to dignity as well as anyone and should not have to tolerate rude language.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Perfect stay. Room was clean, comfy, and spacious. Great and pleasant service. My only complaint would be thin towels , and no microwave .& fridge. However it wS conveniently located near publix and Walmart, and many restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank reedfam05
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at The island House during and after a conference that was held here. We actually upgraded our room from a standard to an executive, and it was well worth it. The room was large, the bed comfortable, and the service was very good. The conference facilities were excellent and large, but was not so large as to lose that intimate, family atmosphere. All of the rooms are gulf-front, including the restaurant. The only disappointment was that the restaurant was only available for breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner, although with all of the great choices in Orange Beach, it was not much of a loss. This hotel is very well priced, the amenities nicely appointed, and the beach is spectacular. We almost had the beach all to ourselves! Many thanks to Pat, the waitress in the restaurant who took care of us at breakfast and poolside lunch! You just don't get that style of quality service much anymore.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Garry and Miche... T
Alabama
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was convenient for our overnight stay.. There was no fridge or microwave in the room. Buffet breakfast was rather pricey. Bedding was very clean and bed comfortable. Bathroom clean as well.

• Stayed September 2013