Island House Hotel Orange Beach - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a week long trip in Orange Beach. The condo we wanted wasn't available for the first night of our trip so we stayed here since it was the closest hotel to the condo. We had a standard King room on the third floor near the eastern end. Booking over the phone was quick and easy and the person with whom I spoke was friendly. Check in was also quick and painless and the two front desk staff were nice. The room was spacious and had the king bed with nightstands on either side, a small writing desk with chair, an occaisional chair, and a coffee station stand. The bathroom showed signs of aging, but I liked that there were two sections of it; one with tub/shower, toilet, and sink, then another sink area separated by a door. The tub drained ridiculously slow. I showered that night and after waiting probably 10 minutes or more, my husband decided to wait til the morning to take his as the tub was still full of water. The bed and bedding were comfortable. Every room does have a balcony but they are pretty narrow so as one reviewer mentioned, you can't sit and see over the railing since you're so close to it. But the view when standing is exceptional. Since we only stayed one night I really didn't notice any serious issues. If this hotel were located anywhere else that didn't sit directly on the beach, I would consider it around a $99-$139/night hotel; nice, but nothing to write home about. But ON the beach that price doesn't really exist so $199 isn't so bad.

3  Thank LSUstew

Reviewed August 3, 2012

The hotel was nice, especially for the price...and being on the beach! You can't beat it! 5 girls, one room - Staff was very friendly. Pool was clean - it was full! There wasn't any sand in the hotel - They kept the floors & mats clean! There was a band that played on Saturday night out by the pool. Checking in & out was a breeze. Hotel was on the strip. The Florida line was less than 5 miles away (we took a short trip to pensacola, while Orange Beach was getting a little rain) We didn't use the spa, gym or the restaurant at the hotel. The rooms were pretty clean. The bathroom had some work that needed to be done(under the sink & behind the toilet), but it didn't bother us. The balcony's faced the water (which was really nice!)
5 women & no complaints from us - you have to admit, it's rare, so take our advice & stay here - it's worth it!

Thanks for a great experience!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank AprilR937
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Thank you so much for making our 5 anniversary a wonderful trip. Your hotel is a jewel. We can not wait to bring our children back next summer for an entire week. The staff greets you as soon as you walk in the door and referred to us by name the entire trip. I will be sending all of my friends your way. Once again thanks for making our trip relaxing and enjoyable! See you soon!

Room Tip: Try and get the executive a little bit larger room and it has view from all sides.
1  Thank Celeste D
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This place is great! The rooms are extremely clean and newly renovated. The beds slept extremely well, and were very clean just like the hotel photos show. The carpet was new and nice. All rooms have a walk out on balcony with a complete ocean and beach view. Great stay for the price. The hotel restaurant has a great breakfast and lunch! Very reasonably priced. The hotel staff were extremely nice, and very helpful with every need you have.

If there was one negative, I would say it is that the air conditioner that kept the room extremely cold. However, it could be adjusted, depending on how cool you like your room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank MississippiProud
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Clean rooms, three elevators, very quiet and SUPER breakfast buffet. The beach is wide and very clean. Prices are good and staff is very friendly. No sand in the hotel - which is rare. Pool is very nice too. Priced well. 7th floor view was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mark R
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Island House this past weekend and I will never recommend it to anyone. The staff is unprofessional and the housekeeping is pathetic. Our room trash was never taken out and the bedding was not changed. I chose this hotel because it was affordable and I wanted a room with a balcony. Unfortunately, the railing on the balcony is too high to actually be able to sit and see over it. The staff was not intelligent enough to properly run my card and had to credit my account in order to charge me the correct amount; however, another staff member had to re-adjust my account because I was charged too much. After leaving the world's worst vacation, I check my account to realize I was charged $260 by this hotel. I spoke with the guest services manager, Kane --, and was informed a chair was broken in our room. To my knowledge, nothing had been broken. It doesn not sit well with me that this place charged me without letting me know and especially that much money for cheap furniture. Kane -- was rude to me and spoke down to me because I am a female. He was unprofessional and down right rude. I wish I had never gone on vacation. Please listen to my warning and look elsewhere. I would have stayed at a much nicer place had I known how much The Island House Hotel would end up taking from me!

11  Thank Erin G
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed here on July 2 and 3 - checked out on July 4th. Positives - Nice hotel staff and lobby, hotel is beach front, great view of beach from room, comfy pillows/bed. Negatives - Housekeeping: found a beer cap next to the desk and a straw wrapper behind the chair on our first night and neither was removed the next day after housekeeping "cleaned", also my son dropped some cracker crumbs in the hallway outside our room on the first night and they were still there when we checked out; balcony door was rusty, tub was EXTREMELY SLOW to drain, towels were thin. I felt the room was a bit pricey considering the cleaniness and rust. We made this choice over a newer hotel for one reason - direct beach access. For that reason, I would stay here again in a bind, but for the price, I would try to find some place else first.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family