“Nice unit but needs a few repairs before I would choose it again.”
Review of Caribe Resort

Caribe Resort
Lafayette
“Nice unit but needs a few repairs before I would choose it again.”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

The resort itself is very nice however unit 1216D is where we stayed and I would not pick this unit again. The furniture in the living room needs to be replaced/repaired. There were multiple tears in the sofa and loveseat and it was very unappealing. The refrigerator was working sub-par and maintenance couldn't fix the problem. And there were also tiles in the hallway that were coming up and the grout was braking apart and all over the floor. Otherwise the unit was nice and clean.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Daphnelewis

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Eclectic, Alabama
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I enjoyed our family stay. We have five kids that vary in age and they all seemed happy with our choice. Down side: the lazy river. It's on top and extremely mediocre and hot. But, the pools were great! We also liked having the boat slip near by. The beach was a drive away and again, not my cup of tea but the kids seemed happy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Prattville, Alabama
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We were there with our sons baseball team. Easy to get to ball parks and lots of fun for the kids while they were not playing ball. There is a restaurant we could walk too. They have great kitchens in the units, so it is easy to cook also.

Room Tip: We asked for the room numbers that looked out over the pool with the sidles because that is where ou...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have stayed at Caribe in the past and visited several times, so I had fairly high expectations of this 'luxury' resort. Unfortunately, I was sorely disappointed.

My husband and I booked a condo at Caribe for our 1st wedding anniversary trip. We selected unit B516 specifically for the location, decor, and tile floors (it is a beach resort; carpet is a bad idea). We booked a month in advance and after driving 7 hours, we arrived on July 4th. We were given a check-in packet and began looking for our assigned parking space. After some confusion & frustration, we realized our room packet said "B816", NOT "B516", which was what our confirmation email said (as it should). We checked with the front desk, and they admitted they had changed our unit without telling us when we checked in.

They claimed an 'emergency maintenance issue' had arisen in the unit we booked, so they switched us. We asked why we weren't notified, and the front desk manager claimed the issue took place the day before we checked in, and that there wasn't a phone number on the account (Of course there was, the reservation system doesn't let you make an online reservation without one, and I had entered it myself). We asked why we hadn't been emailed in that case, and the manager claimed she didn't know why, but would ask her manager if he'd tried to email us.

She told us that in the meantime, we should go upstairs and 'check out the condo' to see if we liked it (she said she was sure we would), but that if we didn't, they didn't have anywhere else they could put us--so our only other option was a refund and to drive 7 hours back home. The manager we spoke with was very dismissive and rude.

We went upstairs to unload our suitcases, and following the sneaking suspicion that I had just been blown off and lied to, I went down to B516 (the unit we originally booked, which was supposed to have had an 'emergency maintenance issue' the day before) and spoke with the woman who answered the door.

She said that they had been staying in B816 (the unit we were now in), until about 3 or 4 days ago, when she noticed bug bites all over her legs and determined that the problem was either the couch, the chairs, or the carpet in the living room. At that time, her entire party was moved into B516.

So, essentially what happened is that this family was moved into the (perfectly fine) unit that WE booked a month ago; this change took place several days before we checked in, and we were lied to about the entire thing. We were THEN placed into a unit that DID have a problem reported, and were NOT told about the issue at all--not when it happened, not the day before we checked in, not WHEN we checked in.... Not until we actively questioned the staff about the unit number difference. I have NEVER in my life been treated so horribly by such a supposedly classy resort.

After finding out what really happened, I sent out an email to the resort general manager, the front desk, and the reservation contact. It wasn't until the next day that I got a response. The GM, Kip, was the first helpful person I spoke to, and he refunded one night's stay for us.

Unfortunately, the condo we were in was sub-par. The paint was peeling on the balcony furniture, some fixtures and decor were broken and never repaired, the decor was hideous, and despite the GM's assurance that the unit had been thoroughly checked for bugs, the wall-to-wall carpet in the living room and bedrooms had me freaked out the entire weekend.

The building we were in was fully booked, and although it had 4 elevators for its 13 floors and 1,000+ guests, only one or two were working at any given time, and even then service was spotty. The others were not in service, and we never saw a maintenance or repair person working on them. The staff seemed completely unconcerned when we questioned them about it.

It seemed to us that the prevailing attitude of Caribe has become "If you don't like it, someone else will give us their money instead". Such a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank eclipsis
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Have stayed here twice, both times on July 4th weekend, and we enjoyed it both times. Excellent place to stay for families, with pools, lazy river, fitness center.......something for everyone. I prefer the bay views, so you can see the sunrise and sunset.

Room Tip: Bay views are preferable, for me.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Huntsville
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We booked our one year wedding anniversary here because we loved the location and my wife had a good past experience a few years ago.
Right off the bat we had issues with having our room changed without our knowledge and being lied to for the reason while being treated rudely by the staff about it. This was addressed by upper management and I applaud Kip for his kindness and courtesy along with his action taken for that matter. If they had only treated us as understanding as he did, we wouldn't of had a problem.

However the rest of this resort has been mediocre at best.
The elevators don't work most of the time and several people actually reported being stuck inside them several times. When we reported the issue the response we got from the staff here was "yeah we've been having problems with them".

Really? Then get someone out here to fix them and not leave guests stranded or waiting several minutes.

Another problem we've faced is neither of our key cards working on the outside gate to come back from cobalt restaurant. Thankfully there's either been security or another guest there to get us in.

I'm sorely disappointed in this resort. I've stayed at resorts half this price and had a much better experience each time.

I just get the feeling from this place that they don't care, just want your money and expect you to suck it up because you're at the beach and they could just have you leave and have someone else ready to take your spot.

It will be really hard for me to even consider staying here again in the future....

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank RCBlender
Madison, Mississippi
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed five days and have a great time. The beach was a little too far away, but there was enough to do on site to keep our family busy. The condo was great, very clean, and well kept. Our balcony overlooked the pool on the second floor, so we were seconds away from the pool and water slides. Wheelchair access directly to the pool area is awkward, but we found a quicker way and never thought about it anymore. We had a great time, and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Towers C and D have a pool between them, and are where I would prefer staying. Preferably on the ea...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family