“Great Place for the family”
Review of Caribe Resort

Caribe Resort
Benton, Louisiana, United States
“Great Place for the family”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Wonderful vacation. We did not have to deal with the staff at all. We were pre checked in and went directly to our room, great! Had a bay/marina view that was OK. We had a lovely 3 bedroom condo that was perfect for the 6 of us. Weather was great and always a breeze on the balcony. The trolley to the beach was quick, but we drove most of the time. Granddaughters really enjoyed the freedom to use all the pools, beach and exercise facilities.

1 Thank Glenda A

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Mid-South
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this property with a large family, so having several bedrooms and a kitchen was very nice. The property is clean and well-maintained, which I would guess is quite an undertaking for the staff with the number of kids and teens there. Note...do not stay here if you want to a quiet vacation without kids. This place is full of kids running around. I felt our kids were in a safe environment. There is a large three-tier type pool with two slides, along with a lazy river and a nice pool at another one of the buildings. The kids loved the pool and I felt there was plenty of room in it for the guests. A pet peeve are properties with many guests and one small pool! The balcony views were beautiful. The beach is across the road, which is very busy, so I don't recommend crossing on foot with kids. There is a tram that will take you there or you can park your car nearby.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed July 15, 2013

First of all, let me state that our family had a wonderful time here. We stayed in unit B1114. The condo was well kept and there was plenty of room for our family. The staff at the front desk were always nice and extremely helpful.

The night that we arrived home (Sunday, June 30) I realized that I had forgotten my streaming media player (to watch things like Netflix, Hulu, etc..). I called the following day (Monday, July 1) and spoke with John who located the device and said that I could get it shipped to me by the "local mom and pop mailing place". He stated that they come practically every day to pick up things people needed shipped back to them. I touched base with them on Tuesday and they stated also that they go there often for pickups, but the fee to pick up the box would be $6. She asked for my information and then my credit card information. I told her I didn't feel comfortable just giving her my credit card information; I would prefer to find out how much shipping would be first. Boy am I glad I did that!

She contacted me on Wednesday, July 3 to say they had my box and it was packaged up ready to go. She said the charge would be $32. This alarmed me for several reasons:
1. This was not an overnight delivery, it was via land by UPS.
2. The package was coming from Orange Beach to Baton Rouge. Roughly 4 hours away.
3. The streaming media player is roughly two roku boxes put together. Its not huge AT ALL. Nor is it heavy.
4. I ship things ALL OF THE TIME and have never paid that much for such a small package.
5. She couldn't give me an exact breakdown of the charges. She kept throwing around the word "fees" and I kept expressing that this is a huge charge for something so small. She finally said the shipping was actually $21 but the fees added on brought it to $32. Still...$21 is a lot for shipping.
She told me that they would hold it for 10 days so I could decide what I wanted to do.

I spoke with John again the following week on Wednesday, July 10. I told him we are staying at the resort again and would prefer to just pick it up at the lost and found when we go back. He had no problems with that and instructed me to call the mailing place back and ask them to drop it off when they come back to the resort for pickups. I did just that. I spoke with a man this time (at the shipping place) and he informed me that they've never had someone ask to bring the item back to the resort. I said I was willing to pay for pick up fee and the guy told me there are other fees involved including the $2 charge for the phone call (yes you read that right; they are charging me $2 for the call the woman made to me to tell me how much shipping was once they received the player). He also said I needed to pay a "storage fee" for them holding my player for roughly a week. When I protested he said that John (from Caribe) would have to come get the player (although they go to the Caribe "all of the time for pickups"). I left John at the Caribe a voicemail about the situation and I have never heard back. I have no clue where the streaming player is and no clue if it will be there for me to pick it up. I know that this horrible situation is not something that directly happened at Caribe, but it IS a preferred vendor by the resort. I urge everyone to check their condos multiple times before checking out so they don't have this negative experience with the Pack and Mail store!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank L8dluck
atlanta
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed here over the 4th of July weekend. The resort is actually three 12 or 13 floor condo privately owned condo units. Our unit was a very nice 3 bedroom, 3 bath unit on the 8th floor. Our view was of the ocean, which is actually across from the road, but a shuttle will take you to the walkway - a long, long walkway - to the beach. There are pools on both the bay and ocean side of this resort as well as two small indoor pools connected via a small walkway. If you don't have kids and want a romantic or relaxing place to stay, this is not the place for you. The hotel was full of kids and families of all ages, which was good for us as we had 5 kids under 7 in our group. There is a very nice restaurant within walking distance, but get there early as it gets very, very busy - other than that you'll have to drive anywhere to eat. I assume most of the units, since they are condo's have full size kitchens. So swing by the grocery and stock up. For all the traffic this place gets the maintenance staff did a marvelous job of keeping the place clean and updated. The down side - the fire alarm went off about 2:00 am on Friday night - from what I'm told this is a regular issue - either with young kids pulling the alarm as a prank or from a faulty system - we really never found out - but I'd not let this stop us from coming back.

Room Tip: the higher the room the better the view of course, but if you are looking for a bit more peace - don...
Columbia,TN
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just returned from our stay at the Caribe Resort. Over all, it is a wonderful place to stay, but there are some considerations. We stayed on the third floor overlooking the bay and pools. We had a gorgeous corner unit, with the most wonderful long balcony ever! We had a four bedroom condo and there were ten of us. The "con" about the condo itself was that one of the bedrooms had no bathroom OR even a closet. The other three bedrooms each had a private bathroom. The bathroom for this room was located right next to this room but was only a half bath. Therefore, the occupants of this "bedroom" had to shower in someone else's bathroom. This was very poor planning and extremely inconvenient. Don't know if this is the situation in all the units but was in ours.. We loved the pools, but the lazy river was somewhat disappointing, and this feature was one of the main reasons we chose the Caribe. The "current" was almost non-existent, and it was shallow.
The walk to the beach is excessively long, even after being dropped off by the shuttle. It was easier to take our car to the public beach, where the walk from car to sand was short.
Having no lifeguards was a bit unsettling. One night there were grown young men using the slides. (They were too old and large to be using the slides) They formed a chain, which was clearly stated NOT to do, and when they went down the slides, the whole structure shook. That was scary, and I would not let my grandchildren continue using it, until they were gone. A lifeguard would not have let this continue.
Over all it was a pleasant experience, and if easy beach access is not important, then I would certainly recommend the Caribe. Our condo was beautifully and elegantly decorated, and it was spacious, other than the fourth very small bedroom with no bath. Our children enjoyed the wonderful pools, which are beautiful and fun. It was easy to grill right below our rooms. The elevators were fast and worked well. How to get where is a little confusing when you first get there, but soon is learned. It was be nice if, when you arrive, there was a map of the property telling you how to get around and also what all the features are and where located.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny and the views are fantastic!
4 Thank TravelBug562
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Pros-
Absolutely gorgeous property and rooms. We stayed in b616 with great view of bay and distant view of beach. room was spotless(perfectly spotless), beautiful kitchen, lots of space throughout , large jetted tub and walkin shower, plenty of storage areas.Great pools and slides! Large balcony. Very kid-friendly with all resort has on property.

Cons-property is very large..little help with advising all that is offered, which is why i give service a low rating. We didn't even use beach shuttle..once they drop you off it is a LONG walk to actual beach(wasn't a problem for my teen, but my 5 yr old struggled..had to carry her plus our stuff which was a pain) we just drove over and used the public parking area.(which is still same walking distance to beach)Lazy river is very shallow with very little current. Lobby closes early..then you can't get anything needed for outdoor activities(ping pong, clubs, etc). if they were available, we were not aware. Pools are at different buildings, and it's a good stroll from one to the other. Again, not a problem if you have older kids..just a lot of work for the smaller ones. Also, our room was right above pool, which wasn't a problem for noise if we were inside(couldn't hear a thing)..but if on balcony all we could hear was pool area.

Just too far from beach with little ones..if beach access was easier we would stay here again..

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank chicameaux
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 4 bedroom unit and it was very clean and super nice and also HUGE, plenty of room for 12 people to stay in, bigger than a lot if 4 bedroom houses, we loved the swimming pools they have , only reason I didn't give it all great ratings is because it is across the street from beach but the do offer a team ride to the beach

• Stayed June 2013