“Perfect for relaxing!”

Caribe Resort
Metairie, LA
“Perfect for relaxing!”
Reviewed April 27, 2011

This is an excellent resort especially for children. The pools have slides and a lazy river. The unit was extremely clean with a wonderful kitchen and comfortable bedding. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank jen1976

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Powder Springs, Georgia
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We reviewed the Caribe website and called the reservations number. I spoke to Robert, the "Front Desk Manager." My first statement was "I would like an Ocean Front room." He said they did not have an "ocean front" available, but they had "ocean view," giving the impression that all of the "ocean front" rooms were reserved. Upon arrival, we realized that there are no ocean front or ocean view rooms, as this property is not on or close to the beach at all.

We were scehduled for a late arrival and Robert advised that our keys would be awaiting us at the guard shack. There were no keys waiting on us that night, and we had to wait for security to let us in our room. We had no keys until the next morning when the front desk opened and thus couldn't leave our condo or we would be locked out.

The next day when I went to Building A to pick up the keys, I asked Robert about his representations on the phone regarding his availability of an "ocean view" and an "ocean front" rooms. Because, to me, when someone calls and asks for an "ocean front" room and your property is not even on the ocean, the proper response is "we are not on the beach. We are across the street."

Robert responded "Ma'am, I am a 'stickler' [yes, that is the exact word he used] about describing things. There is no ocean here [meaning, Orange Beach]. This is the Gulf of Mexico. The 'Gulf of Mexico' is across the street; that is not the Ocean." Despite this being quite the sarcastic reply (not to mention that it exemplifies to the fullest extent the inner-jerk of someone who is suppose to specialize in people skills and professionalism), it also shows that Robert (as the front desk manager) INTENTIONALLY misled me over the phone to get the reservation. So, to apply Robert's logic, sophisticated travelers reading this, let me disavow you of your misconception of Orange Beach -- there is no ocean or ocean front in Orange Beach at all, because it is only the Gulf of Mexico, not the Atlantic Ocean. Wow. Just wow.

I also don't have to tell you (you probably could guess) that Robert would not even consider a full or partial refund (though we had just booked a few days before arrival). And, though he told me that he would talk to his GM and one of them would call me to discuss the misrepresentation, you probably will not be surprised that I did not hear from either of them.

Post trip, I again reviewed the website to see what I missed about the property's proximity from the ocean (I mean, the Gulf). Turns out, I did not miss a thing. You can doublecheck me on this, but the website only says that you can walk to the beach or take a trolley. There are many true ocean front properties (both on the Atlantic and the Gulf, for you "sticklers") that also provide such options, due to their size and that some buildings on their property are further away from the beach than others. So the walking and trolley option doesn't tip you off that the property and all of its 4 buildings are as far from the beach as they really are. Let me be real with you -- You cannot walk to the beach; it is a drive. I cannot speak as to the trolley, as we did not elect that service.

Despite clever marketing website techniques and misrepresentations from the front desk manager, the truth is that the property is "bay side" with no convenient access to the beach. If you have a boat to use, this may be the place for you. The rooms are spacious. But, if the beach (regardless of whether you call it the ocean or the gulf) is where you plan to spend most of your time, this is NOT the place. To get to the beach from Caribe, you must drive out of the Caribe Property, drive down the road, under a bridge, and go to the State Park. The State Park's boardwalk to the beach site is very very very long (at least 3/4 of a mile, probably more), which is a long way to carry all of your beach stuff (especially if you are vacationing with small children). It is the most inconvenient to the beach we have ever stayed (and we average about 3 family beach trips a summer, at least).

Finally, I have never written a bad review of a resort, but I felt that the front desk's smoke and mirrors on the phone, their response when we arrived, as well as the lack of clarity on this issue from the website warranted these comments to other travelers.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
40 Thank lawmom02
Louisiana
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Extremely nice rooms, big kitchen and living rooms. Best pools in orange beach water slides lazy river. More of a family resort lots of kids. It is located on the bay you will have to walk or drive to the beach maybe 500 yards. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We decided to continue on with our plans to take our whole family (5 kids ages 7-16) despite the oil spill. The resort had nice pools, and the rooms were nice, however, the service was terrible. We had a mini washer/dryer in our room that ruined our clothes. They gave us the key to another room to use their washer/dryer, but had to keep switching us around when people checked in. It was A LOT of hassle. The kitchens are very minimally equipped with cookware, and NO basic supplies (not even S & P), so if you plan to make your own meals as we did, this is not the place to go. The last night we had no air conditioning, and my husband left 3 messages for maintenance. It was never addressed. The front desk could care less about any issues you have, and it seems to be painful for them to even be at work. There is no one there after 5, so if you have any issues, you're on your own (which you basically are anyway). We kept hearing about 'southern hospitality' before we went, but we didn't experience any of that at this resort. It was a lot of money for a lot of hassle.

2 Thank Baraboofamily
ni
Reviewed June 24, 2010

We stayed in one of the condos facing the bay. From our bacolony, we watched the dolphins swimming. We had brought a boat which we docked at the resort. The family boated out to an island that is right in view of our condo and saw string rays. The children and adults had a blast catching sand crabs. We stayed and swam for a couple of hours. One of the days, my husband, two son-in-laws and myself went hydro-sliding in the bay. On our last day, we loaded up the family and boated to one of the restaurants( I forget its name) and had supper. We then headed back and had our own sunset cruise and was delighted to spot some dolphins. We followed them around and then headed back to the condo. The condo was very spacious and furnished on the high end. The balcony was awesome and we spent a lot of time out there.
The oil spill had not landed yet, but I don't think it would have made much of a difference. There are 8 pools - 3 indoors, a lazy river and water slides. We went to the Beach for 3 hrs. one day. The rest of the tme the kids wanted to swim in all the different pools. We did not try the restaurant on sight, just because we ate in the condo.

4 Thank arkansasbound
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2010

We had a great trip - lots of wonderful memories made!! My husband and myself, our two sons and their wives and seven grandchildren spent three nights at the Caribe and we vowed that we would spend a week next summer. The kids were up early to go to the many pools and ready to stay there all day. No need to go to the beach and look for oil. In fact the only trip we made there was for family photos which turned out great. Our condo had plenty of room. The stand alone ice maker was wonderful for filling the coolers to take down to the pool. The kitchen had everything we needed for the little cooking we did. The view was absolutly beautiful. We didn't know that we weren't right on the beach with that view we had. We were looking right out at the beach and then over the pools as well. Everyone was wonderful to us there. We didn't experience any problems. The security was nice to have there. Parking was no problem. I guess the only problem we did encounter was having to leave. But we have had a lot to talk about and are already making plans for another trip next summer.

1 Thank busta-10
Ville Platte
Reviewed June 15, 2010

Our family really enjoyed the experience of our stay at The Caribe Resort. Our condo was just lovely. The service was great. The condo, the grounds, the pools were all very clean. Thank you, Caribe for giving us a wonderful family vacation.

Stayed June 2010, traveled with family