“A mixed bag.”

Dining options: Reservations
Ruston, Louisiana
“A mixed bag.”
Reviewed July 11, 2014

After reading reviews and seeing the menu I had some reservations about selecting Harbor Grill for dinner. The menu is attractive but I read criticisms of the service. But the spectacular view trumped all concerns because we really wanted to dine while watching the sunset. We tried to come on a Saturday, but without a reservation we were turned away. It's my impression that in high season the restaurant is very crowded on weekends. The next evening we arrived with a reservation and requested outdoor seating only to find that a reception was in progress and the patio was unavailable. However, we were seated at a pleasant table by the outdoor bar. Our server was also the bartender and seemed a bit overworked. Unfortunately, we soon requested to be moved to a table inside because the rude and drunk party at the neighboring table became unbearable. This set up an awkward transition between servers that was eventually worked out. I ordered the chef's special of the day, blackened tilefish. My wife ordered the grouper Pontchartrain. She was very complementary of the dish, although the presentation was unimpressive. My dish was lackluster and the presentation was unappealing. Our server was pleasant and attentive but seemed overworked. I think that there is a lack of coordination with the staff that is brought out in rush situations. Perhaps our experience would have been much better on a quieter weeknight.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Gary H

Gardendale, Alabama
“Excellent”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This was my first visit to the Harbor Grill but it won't be my last. Service was fantastic and the food was outstanding. Food prices were reasonable considering the caliber of the restaurant. We sat out on deck and watched the boats in the harbor. My husband and I both had Grouper which was fresh and cooked to perfection. We both left stuffed.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank debyteky
Omaha, Nebraska
“Took friends to our favorite restaurant-were they impressed!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our friends couldn't believe they hadn't tried Harbor Grill before. Arrived for Happy Hour and Twilite menu specials. We all had the Grouper Ponchatran and loved it. Enjoyed local vocal entertainment on a Wed eve.

Visited March 2014
Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Great food and service.”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We arrived at 5:30 PM. Everything was better then most. The grouper is excellent. I will eat here again and recommend it.

• Visited March 2014
lake charles, louisiana
“Fantastic steak and service from Mark”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

The steak was perfectly cooked. We eat prime beef at home and the quality of beef used at harbor grill was up there with prime tenderloin from Allen brothers. We vacation here pretty often and always try to ask for Mark. He's consistently polite and efficient. He also makes a good drink! The Bloody Mary bar on weekends is very, very good. Try the house made Bloody Mary mix with some blue cheese stuffed olives. As others have mentioned, we have had poor service in the past. So- we call ahead and ask for Mark or Kyle. The server can make or break a meal in my opinion. And that is certainly true at Harbor Grill. So even if Mark is working the bar, try to sit where he can make sure you are properly served.

• Visited December 2013