“Overpriced for average food”
Review of Calypso Joe's Caribbean Grille - CLOSED

Calypso Joe's Caribbean Grille
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: Water front dining, live music nightly, great new menu with 9 new items. Superior food quality with many tasty choices. Kids rides, ring toss and crab races nightly. Fresh seafood, steaks, burgers, poboys, salads & kids meals.
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Like a previous review, I too was fooled by the advertisement and the look of the atmosphere. Thought we would try something different since it is advertised as a "Carribean Grille". Restaurant was hard to find at night. We ordered the conch fritters for an appetizer and it was good. Only had 5 fritters that were the size of a hush puppy (overpriced), which would be enough for maybe 2 people. We ordered the fish in a tin, fresh catch of the day (Mahi Mahi), and kids ordered fried shrimp, fish, and a cheeseburger. I have to say everyone's meals were average except mine, the fish in a tin. It was no more than a fish wrapped in aluminum foil with a few seasoning and a couple of chunks of pineapple. The fish tasted very average...nothing special. The sides were absolutely terrible. My yellow rice was cold and hard and the vegetables had no taste except for the peppers, which tasted like left over burnt grease. My husband described my rice as tasting like cold rice-a-roni. My meal had to be one of the worst meals I have ever had and overpaid. Just average overpriced "caribbean food".

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Good food (shrimp and grits for me), very good service, excellent atmosphere. Highly recommend Calypso Joe's.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Among the best places we ate on a recent week long vacation. Service was terrific and our server was extremely knowledgable and helpful.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The shrimp and grits was very good. One member of our party got the Caribbean jerk sandwich, which was okay, but she was disappointed that it wasn't on flat bread like a panini.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I, for one, know that this place has no rodent problem. I am a boat owner in the marina, and have had problems out of them . The whole area is under construction, so it could not be helped. Besides I am sure it was an isolated incident. I have eaten there for years and have never seen anything. But until the construction started , had never seen anything in the marina either. The food is great, and so is the service. The hostess , don't know her name, is always very friendly and the servers do a great job . The owners are equally as funny. Don't worry about this one time incident. All of the boat owners , I know, including myself, have contacted the marina and the problem is being solved. So don't let it stop you from enjoying such a great place to dine.

1  Thank mermaid689