“Pretty good, but overrated”

Gulf Shores Steamer
Ranked #15 of 146 Restaurants in Orange Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed June 29, 2009

First, let me say that I enjoy seafood but am not the kind of person to order the steamer special here: the huge bucket of crab legs and other steamed seafood. If that's your kind of thing, then you'll love this place. If it isn't...then you should probably pass.

I ordered raw oysters to start and they were average. My wife is not a seafood person and ordered a burger. The burger was very average...probably frozen. But hey, it's "Gulf Shores Steamer", not "Gulf Shores Burgers". I ordered the Grilled Mahi. It was just average, but was pretty pricey (typical beach seafood restaurant prices). For sides they had new potatoes and corn on the cob.

I am not sure what I expected here...and that's probably my fault. I'd say if you're looking for traditional seafood, go somewhere else. But if you enjoy the steamed seafood in a bucket (like crab legs, oysters, etc) then you'll love it. Otherwise, go elsewhere and spend your $50 there.

There are newer reviews for Gulf Shores Steamer

Reviewed June 22, 2009

We were there the first week in June and we loved the place. We had the Bay Steamer and an extra order of Shrimp and Crab for 4 adults and 2 boys with hearty appetites. That was a whole lot of good food. The food was very good. Although surprisingly one of the absolute best things on the menu was their key lime pie, our whole family recommends it, its a must have. I must warn you, if you are going here, don't wear a nice shirt, its very messy to eat.

1  Thank 5Muellers
Reviewed June 19, 2009

Tasted very good, Served at room temperature so I was not impressed with that. The melted butter needed to be melted. I have been to Ribs & Reds and received much bigger Royal Reds than here for the same money. Great FAMILY environment. Lots of screaming toddlers. Make sure you use the restroom BEFORE going here as the facilities only accomodate 1 at a time and the line tends to build through the dining area.

2  Thank blaze21122000
Reviewed June 13, 2009

After a week eating fried food this place was a dream. They had great seafood that you could taste because it was not battered and deep fried. Very casual and family friendly.

Reviewed June 2, 2009

Excellent fresh seafood! The atmosphere is typical beach dive, but it is clean. The prices may seem high to some people, but the taste was well worth the price. We returned the next day for more!

1  Thank bayoublondie