“Get the Royal Reds!”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Texarkana, Arkansas
“Get the Royal Reds!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed right across the street from the Gulf Steamer! We were craving Royal Red shrimp but didn't feel like getting dressed up to go out. I called in a take out order for a total of 3 lbs. of shrimp. They were ready about 10 minutes later! The royal reds were exceptional! They're pricey, but worth every penny.

Visited June 2013

“Vacation Seafood Fix”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We were here in Gulf Shores and wanted to have some great seafood. We have been at this resturant several times a few years ago and the food was wonderful. This time brought our daughter and granddaughter. We purchased Old Bay Steamer for 4. We were disappointed as our shrimp were not done all the way way. Also there was so much Old Bay seasoning on them you had to get a napkin and wipe them off as it was bitter. It just kept sticking to your fingers. I told waitress about shrimp not done and nothing happened. Also the amount was smaller for the price even with girls that eats like a bird.

“Royal reds!”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I love shrimp but these were beyond my expectations. Huge and delicious. Our server was adorable with southern hospitality.

Hot Springs, Arkansas
“Best Reds in the area!!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

This is the second year we have come here. They have the best Royal Reds in the area and believe me, we have sampled a few. Perfectly cooked, sweet, and tender. My mother doesn't eat seafood so she ordered the grilled chicken breast expecting to get a bland overcooked piece of chicken. She went on and on about how great it was. We will be back here year after year.

DFW Area
“Tasty, Decent Value”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Cute location on the marina, but it's definitely fishy inside so your non-seafood eaters might not be as comfortable as you had hoped. It's a cozy space, but the wooden booths are a tad ...hard... Like the other local casual seafood eateries, there are paper towels, a good selection of hot sauces and the ever-present crackers.

My husband had trouble making up his mind about what to order. Neli, our server, was helpful and always very polite without being intrusive. Her recommendations were thoughtful.

My husband ordered the seafood gumbo to start and then the crab-stuffed shrimp. Both were OK. The seafood gumbo was straightforward and the shrimp dry, but the crab stuffing had a nice flavor. The sides were tasty.

I had oysters on the half shell and a royal reds platter. The oysters disappointed. They were not as cold as they should be, they were tiny and I bit into shell on the oysters from messy shucking so many times that I feared for my teeth.

The royal reds were good, though hard to peel. I wondered if that had to do with overcooking them. The sides met expectations, usual red potatoes, slaw, corn.

We skipped dessert because the offering of chocolate silk pie or cheesecake didn't appeal after this kind of meal. We would have loved a good bread pudding or vanilla ice cream. We had also spent over $50 on pedestrian food and were done.

Overall, it was a safe, ordinary experience.

Visited June 2013

Been to Gulf Shores Steamer? Share your experiences!