“Options for Everyone”

Franco's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 136 Restaurants in Orange Beach
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newburgh, Indiana
“Options for Everyone”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My teenagers follow a vegan diet, so we always check menus for options they want to eat. Franco's had a build-your-own pasta option. The kids had whole wheat fettuccine with marinara sauce and grilled vegetables. The amount of vegetables (bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and zucchini) they received was generous, topping a big bowl of pasta and plentiful homemade sauce. The vegetables were well-seasoned with Italian spices. This dish really hit the spot for them. I had seafood lasagna, which was served in an oval baking dish. It was creamy and cheesy, with a crispy browned top. There was more cheese than seafood, but I like gooey cheese. My husband ordered Tuna Italiano, which was correctly cooked to order. It had been marinated in Italian seasonings and was very tasty. His dish and mine both came with a side of spaghetti with zesty homemade red sauce. I gave my spaghetti to my husband because my lasagna was already more than I could eat. Also, I was a little surprised that my pasta came with a side of additional pasta! The meal came with bottomless salad and garlic rolls. The salad was an iceberg lettuce/red cabbage/carrot mixture with olives, cherry tomatoes, and Italian dressing. The rolls were hot and fresh. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They had some Italian herbs and parmesan cheese on top. We liked everything we had. It was all hot, fresh, and homemade. This restaurant is located in a strip mall next to a Walmart and a Dollar store, which is kind of unfortunate because it might be dismissed as a dining option for this reason. The interior decor was not the most up-to-date. It was very clean and tidy, but it sported artificial flower arrangements faux-Italian figurines. Some redecorating would improve its first impression with customers. The weather was nice, so we ate outside under the awning. In our travels, we've discovered some real gems in strip malls, so we cautiously try strip mall restaurants when the menu and reviews look good. We would definitely eat at Franco's again if we return to Orange Beach.

• Visited June 2013

Meredith, New Hampshire
“Not Good”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is my second review of this restaurant. I have dined at Franco's with each year that I visit the Gulf. Not sure if they've changed chefs, owners, whatever, but this visit was not good. My go-to is lasagna so went with it again. It was drowning in sauce with few noodles and not much taste. My companion had a shrimp and pasta dish which was also over-sauced. The salad that comes with dinner has always been one of my favorites. This time it had too much dressing and no more feta cheese...just way too much shredded mozzarella. I see that reviews here appear to be mixed so maybe it's just what you order... I was disappointed and unfortunately, will not return.

Visited May 2013
Atlanta
“Good Italian food in Orange Beach”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Another one of our standard restaurant stops while in Orange Beach. Pizza, spaghetti, salad, and rolls are all good. If you get the pecan pie for dessert, make sure you don't try to share a slice since they are pretty small. Italian rum cake is tasty as well. Service is friendly.

Knoxville
“Good food. Nice option if you're trying to get away from fried seafood.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

We went here bc we wanted seafood that wasnt fried. My husband enjoyed the seafood lasagna and I had the soft shell crab (yes, this was fried) pasta with tomatoes and basil. Instead of angel hair, I had fettuccini. It was delicious.

Entrees come with house salad a rolls. These rolls are amazing. Try them!

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Food not so good”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was not that hungry, wanted soup, none on the menu, had the salad, which consisted of iceberg lettuce in a mushy dressing with some feta cheese dust sprinkled on top. That and the calamari (under cooked in oily batter) gave me indigestion all night. The side salad with a meal is the same salad and is "bottomless." Could not imagine wanting a second bowl. Margarita was good and strong. Coming from New Orleans I expect better food, Alabama does not make it.