“Pheonix II - Major let down”

Phoenix Condominiums
Reviewed August 14, 2006

First of all I will start by giving you a little background on our family and our stay...
My husband (31), Children (Ages 4 & 6), and I went down from Wed - Sunday with my parents for a quick trip before school started.
I must tell you before I start my ranting that I have heard great things about the Pheonix. The room/facility that I am talking about is the Pheonix II & room# 2113 (their are 1-10 with an East & West Location).
Upon entering the room (we were the first to arrive) we were greated with the most horrific smell. It was a stinch of some sort but undescribable -
We looked down and notice that the carpet was nasty.
Now don't get me wrong - I would expect that it is very difficult to keep the carpet clean in a beach side condo - however, these carpets weren't just dirty - they were Nasty!!!
Already with a huge dissappointment for the room - My husband and I go to lay down on the bed for a quick rest before heading to the beach...
The bed is Broken......the box springs were broken, the railing was broken...and as you sat down, you would sink to the middle of the bed.
After one extemely uncomfortable night of sleeping we called the front desk the next day to complain. We asked to be moved & they said that they didn't have anything available.
Now here is what gets me....
Brett Robinson owns all the Pheonix hotels...(Pheonix 1 - Pheonix 10)....You can not tell me that there was not another room in all of Orange Beach they could have given us.
It was almost like our complaint was not taken seriously.
At this point - looking back we should have just packed our bags and left...However, we didn't b/c of the kids and the trouble it would be to switch hotels.
Other than the complaints above - everything else was nice.
The pools for each hotel are very nice and very convient to the beach.
We did have problems with groups staying out at the pool and partying all night. There was not a front desk @ the P2 so their wasn't any security to ask them to quite down.
This particular group had their music blasting till about 1am or later.

Let me just leave each of you with this...
If you are looking for a beach front condo for a reasonable price - but don't care too much about the acutal inside of the room - Pheonix 1 - 3 could be for you...
However, if you are like me and enjoy having a clean & nice room, you might opt to stay in some the newer condos (Pheonix 5-10).

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
8  Thank Luckymomof2
There are newer reviews for Phoenix Condominiums

Reviewed June 17, 2006

Just got back from Phoenix 5. I had been on this website to figure out where to go. So here is my review. First, there are a million Phoenix sites. I was leaning towards the All-Suites, but now I'm glad I didn't. it looked very small from the outside and its right next to a public beach. We chose #5. 1-5 are all in a row in orange beach, 5 minutes from gulf shores. They are all high rise towers. I was impressed with check in, and the safe and secure parking. Each person is given a spot. we were located in the underdeck to which you have to have a code to get in.
Condo- Our condo was just like a regular condo, bed, bath, den, kitchen, dining area, patio. we stayed in a 1 bed. nothing fancy about it. no maid service. they have a washer/dryer, ironing board, dishwasher, fridge, micro, stove/oven. it was just like home. they had plates and cups and cooking stuff. ** side note ** we stopped in foley (25 min before GS at walmart to get food, winn dixie in GS has upped the prices.

Cleaninless- this is where i was dissappointed. When we arrived, the previous guests info was still on the counter under the phone. and there were cigarette butts in the sink. i know the maid only comes after each guest but i'm not quite sure how she missed that!! unelss she didn't do a good job cleaning. we called the front desk to have them clean it and they replied promptly so that was good. i'm sure it was a rare incident, but it wasn't welcoming!

Stuff at the condo- a pool, a kiddie pool with a fountain, indoor pool, several hot tubs, tennis courts, raquet ball, grills, THE BEACH!!, no bar or food place by the pool, they do set up a sno cone place ($3) by the pool. at the beach there is a volleyball net. they also rent chairs, cushions, and umbrellas for $25 a day. i did that once and one other time i just laid on a towel. its' worth the $25 b/c sand gets everywhere!!

Stuff at GS- went and played putt putt at Adventure Island, its across the street. Ate at LuLu's (very good) at the marina. very fun atmosphere. went on a sunset sail. went to bellingrath gardens in theodore, AL- went to foley for the outlet malls. there is a new shopping center in spanish fort, right outside mobile, that is beautiful and has higher class stores, i beleive it was called eastern shores.

Overall- overall it was a great trip. it was just me and my hubby, it wasn't very romantic though. GS is a famiy place i think. lots of families and kids. Phoenix was very crowded with families and teens. if you want more of a resort this is not your place. no mint on the pillow type place. but for the price i think it was quite nice.

22  Thank pokeybear
A TripAdvisor Member
Baton Rouge, La.
Reviewed June 15, 2006

My family has visited the Phoenix Condos in Orange Beach, Alabama every summer for the past 8 years and always have a wonderful time. We just came back from a 4 night stay at Phoenix 3 and would like to warn parents with young children of a potentially dangerous situation. Upon arriving in our room, I always move the balcony furniture away from the balcony to make sure the children do not try and climb on it and accidently fall over (our children are 11,7, and 2 1/2). Last summer when we arrived with our 1 1/2 year old we tried to see if her head could fit through the railing (it could, if turned sideways). This year I thought she would be too big and didn't think to do it. My 11 year old and 2 year old were on the balcony, my husband and I were in the kitchen, when we heard our 11 yr. old scream for help. We ran out to the balcony and our 2 yr. old was completely on the outside of the balcony; she had squeezed her body through the railing and was holding on with her right arm still on the inside of the balcony. I am looking into contacting someone about having a warning placed in each room so that parents with small children can be warned. We were told that the condo was "grandfathered" in and didn't have to adhere to newer, stricter guidelines.

30  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 14, 2006

My family and I are repeat Phoenix renters. Last August we stayed in Phoenix 10. The condos are very well maintained and have everything in them that you could want. Being directly on the beach is a plus too. When we are at the beach we usually go to the grocery store on the way in and them stay at the condo/beach/pools most of the time. The fully equipped kitchens make it easy to save money on food and make things very convenient for relaxing. Each condo we have stayed at was very well laid out and decorated beautifully-no pink flamingos and sea foam blue sofas here. I'd recommend it easily to others. You rent them through Brett Robinson realty. They have a great website with lots of info and pictures.

• Stayed: August 2005
15  Thank BranchMomma
Reviewed June 12, 2006

Loved the Pheonix V--well-maintained, nicely decorated, larger balconies, nice big pool. I was especially impressed with the extra-friendly security staff, who actually enforced the rules that ensure guests an enjoyable experience. Brett-Robinson offered the best rates I could find, and booking/check in was easy.

Lots of good places to eat in the area, but we had a bad experience at Jake's across the street, and won't be back there for a while. Lester's on Canal Road had delicious, beautifully presented food and great service.

The Alabama coast has done an excellent job overcoming hurricane Ivan. Still some consturction and restoration to be done, but nothing that will prevent you from having a great vacation. Soft, white beaches are as beautiful as ever!

8  Thank DixieTraveller
Reviewed April 14, 2006

Just arrived home from a wonderful stay at Phoenix V unit 615. This 2 bedroom condo was decorated perfect for a stay at the beach. We had great weather and the balcony overlooking the pool and beach gave us spectacular views of both sunrises and sunsets. The kids had fun at both the outdoor and indoor pools and playing tennis and raquetball.
Noticed the earlier review complaining about the Phoenix condo locks and service. Obviously, the owner of that unit did not use Brett-Robinson as their management company. If they had there would have been no problems.
We'll definitely be back next year!

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank StingRay111
A TripAdvisor Member
Cincinnati area
Reviewed October 31, 2005

This is our 2nd year vacationing at the Phoenix and we love the place, but there is so much damage from the storms of last year all along the nearby beaches that it was a pretty bleak experience. We stayed there from August 13 to 18th and we had to drive a long way to get away from the damaged areas to find restaurants, even watched a fairly new hotel right up the road be demolished as it was too damaged to repair, as were many nice homes.

We'll go back, but it will be a few years down the road; if I wanted to spend time walking along the ruins of people's lost dreams and devastated lives, I'd have just stayed home, hung-out with the in-laws and saved the air fare....:-O

• Stayed: August 2004