“Disappointed kids!!!!”

Getaway Charters
Ranked #10 of 100 Tours in Orange Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Getaway Charters offers fun & fishing for your family, friends or clients. Come enjoy the beautiful Gulf of Mexico waters off the Alabama Gulf Coast. Half day and full day fishing charters are offered with your choice from a 36' Hatteras or a 46' Hatteras Sportfishing Yacht. Comfortable seating with cool a/c. We fish year round.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My brother and I and our 3 kids booked the 6 hour bottom fishing trip. Capton Don informed us that we would troll fish for a short time before headed out to the deep for the bottom fishing. We started trolling immediately and immediately starting catching fish. We were catching Spanish Mackerel every few minutes! It was good and our kids were excited! After about 45 minutes of trolling my brother caught a very nice Red fish. Our deck hand asked if we wanted to keep it or throw it back. We informed him earlier that we wanted to keep enough for dinner that night. He asked again," do you want to keep it or throw back"? We asked," what do you think, you think we should keep it? He said it is strictly up to us. We already had about 10 mackerel! We decided to keep it and we kept trolling.
Well, that was a mistake by keeping that red fish! After about another 30 min of trolling our deck Hand came to us and said here is the deal. By keeping the red fish it is against federal law to take the fish away from shore more than 3 miles, therefore we cannot go bottom fish. I believe this would have been good information to have when we asked him if we should keep it or not. He gave us 2 options. 1. Troll for 5 hours and he would take 100.00 of our bill or 2. Take the fish back to shore, clean it, then head out to the deep, but we would only have about 30 min to fish in the deep.
He kept overly selling me on why we should just troll. Fishing hasn't been good lately bottom fishing, we are doing so good here trolling, if we go out deep, we can only fish for 30 min etc. Well, we changed our trip to a 4 hour trolling trip, and only caught a couple more.
I booked a 6 hour bottom trip and thought that is what we were gonna get. This was my boys first off shore fishing trip and were very excited the night before and morning of. The kids were very disappointed after the trip. They got very bored trolling and were really looking forward to the opportunity to catch something exotic in the deep. I feel that our deck hand and Capton were not honest with us and forthright with information regarding the red fish we caught, therefore cheeting our kids out of the full deep sea fishing experience! All they had to do was tell us the law on the red fish and it would have been a no brainer whether to keep it or not!! I Do not recommend these guys!

Jeromy

6  Thank Penny C
getawaycharters, Owner at Getaway Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I am very sorry for the disappointment you experienced aboard Another Getaway.

1. The weather conditions presented some choppy seas offshore and therefore made a better choice to stay in closer where we experienced better sea conditions and a good fishing bite. I have been the owner of Getaway Charters for 18 years and I always try to do what is best for my customers. I did not want to take a chance on getting those little boys sick in rough seas offshore.
2.The trolling bite was very good at the beginning of the trip and we were catching numbers of fish so we decided to stay near shore in calm sea conditions. Moms and dads usually appreciate me keeping their kids safe and keeping them in calm sea conditions.
3. We caught a big bull redfish. Redfish can only be kept in state waters and not in federal waters. We could therefore not travel into federal waters. We gave the customer the option to take the redfish back to the dock and go back out and fish in federal waters. The other option was to keep trolling for mackerel and redfish. None of us knew how the bite would be at any given time in the coming hours but it was good at that time.
4. I believe I made the right decision in keeping my customers nearshore in calm waters. If I had of been looking for my interest only then I would have chosen the 6 hour charter over the 4 hour charter and received $400 more income.
5. If I could have done anything differently then I would have tried to have done a better job of communicating to my customers the reasons for all of the decisions that were made.

I strive very hard to satisfy each and every customer that fishes with Getaway Charters. Each one of you is very important to me and I listen to all of you. Thank you for your feedback and I hope I have learned something that will help me in the future. Communication is a must!

Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

The downside was that we fished the morning after a full moon and the big fish weren't feeding well...thus we caught a bunch of fish but only had a few keepers. Overall this trip was the best fishing trip we have ever done. Definitely worth the extra cost per person to not have to take a party boat. Capt Eric did everything he could to keep us on the fish and Deckhand Josh was phenomenal. He had our keepers fileted in just a few moments and in ziplock bags ready to go. We will definitely be back...but may look at the lunar calendar first.

1  Thank Firegirl834
Reviewed July 17, 2013

After finding this Charter on Trip Adviser, We Fished on "Another Getaway" with Capt. Don and Josh July 12th 2013, All I can say is first class service from start to finish, Any future fishing trips to "ORANGE BEACH, AL" will be booked with Getaway Charters and Capt. Don. Capt. Don, made sure we were on the fish and Josh made sure we were catching them, After a larger Red Snapper came up with only the head, Josh asked "do y'all wanna catch a Shark ?" (i thought to myself.... WHO Doesn't want to catch a Shark) so... as an added bonus Josh made sure we hooked up on a couple of ... "BIG"... Grey Reef Sharks, We actually hooked up on six within a few hours and landed two. (What some ROD BENDERS) by Far our best trip ever. My hat is off to Getaway Charters and our boat "Another Getaway" along with Capt. Don and Josh. Thank you for the Awesome Experience. Can't wait for Another Getaway !! Mississippi State Trooper, Gregory Bell.

1  Thank Gregory B
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Personable and Knowledgable crew, tough fishing but we caught several mackerel...no complaints and would highly recommend Capt Don and Josh!! Awesome for families!!

1  Thank foodisourlife
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We took a deep sea fishing 4 hour trip with Captain Don and Josh. It was incredible. Don was very personable and made us feel at home. Josh kept up laughing and made it an experience we will never forget. If you are looking for a personal experience with your family that you will never forget book with Don and Josh. It was our first time out and and I know it will not be our last. Next time we will go on a longer trip :)
Thanks guys!!!