“Beautiful Beachfront Hotel With Amazing Staff!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My children, grandchildren and I recently spent a few days at this hotel. We had 2 rooms that we were very pleased with. I cannot praise the hotel staff enough. I do not know why some people have had negative comments about the them as they were always smiling, happy attitudes and just as helpful as they could possibly be. The view from the oceanfront rooms is amazing. The rooms were spotless and so fresh. Rooms were freezing cold, just the way we like it! We loved sitting on the balcony. I do not know if the hotel is new or just recently remodeled but it was very nice! You cannot beat this hotel for the price and location. We will be back again and again. I just wish I could remember the staff names so I could give them recognition on here. I love the way the swimming pool has the covered area so the little ones can swim in the shade without burning. There was ample parking at no charge which was a nice surprise. Plenty of quality. Conveniently located to stores and great restaurants. If you are going to eat at Fisher's or Tacky Jack's you should go as early as possible! My only complaints were that we rented two sets of beach umbrellas and chaise lounges even though we were only on the beach from 7-9 am, we were NOT TOLD we could rent them hourly for $5.00 per hour and paid 25.00 for both sets for a total of 50.00 from 7 am-9 am. That was a little disappointing after we were back inside I found out they were available for hourly rental and we did not even get cushions on ours until a few minutes before we left the beach.My second complaint was no late checkout, but I totally understand why. All in all it was super nice and I highly recommend it! Good job Hampton Inn, will be back again and again!!!

Room Tip: Loved room 601, corner room, balcony, seemed larger than the others.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
HamptonOB, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review oyur recent stay at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Orange Beach, Al. I we are glad the staff could help your family in any way . We try to be your beach experts! We are glad you enjoyed every apsect of the hotel and hope to see you and your family again very soon!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Clean, comfortable room and beds. The AC struggled a little to keep it as cool as desired, but that was the only drawback. Nice balcony for gulf-side room. Easy, direct beach access. Was a little away from the crowding from other hotels and condos, but easy to get to other restaurants and points of interest in the area. It did not aim to be a luxury resort, but should well satisfy those looking for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Enjoyed a romantic getaway with my husband at the Hampton Inn & Suites in Orange Beach. The Gulf front location and views were fabulous. Employees were perfectly hospitable, and our room was immaculate, comfortable, and we especially enjoyed the balcony. Fabulous pool area. Our second time at this property, and we are already looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Orangebeacom
HamptonOB, Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

We are so glad you could spend your romantic getaway with us! The view on the balcony can take your breath away every time. We are pleased you enjoyed every aspect of the hotel and we hope your next stay will be even better than your last.Til next time!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I used to stay at this hotel once every month or so throughout 2012 & early 2013. This was one of my favorite business trips & loved staying at this hotel. The staff was always courteous & went out of their way to ensure my stay was comfortable. And the location can't be beat! Right on the beach! It was always easy to wake up early just so I could stroll down the beach picking up shells or watching the dolphins early in the morning.

Rooms & beds are modern, clean & comfortable. Breakfast area is well attended & common area decor is upscale beachy. Makes for such a great hotel stay. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn once when this Hampton was sold out - the Hampton is newer & a much better stay & value.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for returning to our hotel. Am glad we were able to help you have a graet vacation /businees trip. And, yes the beaches ar best for a early morning stroll and dolphin sighting! We hope you can come back and visit us and the dolphins very soon.Next time your here pleae stop by the desk so we can check out some of your cool shells!

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I traveled here with my 3-year old son and disabled mother. Starting with the positives, the hotel was really beautiful, bright, and I loved the modern beach-themed décor. The room was clean when we arrived, and the beds felt clean and crisp. The complimentary breakfast offered many choices for everyone, although I noticed they failed to keep Breakfast on-the-run bags out that a Hampton usually provides to guest on the go. The beach was beautiful white sand beach, although on the day of our arrival it was covered with smelly brown seaweed. On the second day we were there the seaweed was cleaned up. There are grocery stores, a pharmacy, light shopping, and a few restaurants nearby. Fast food, however, is a little harder to get in this area. There are a few fast food places in driving distance, but you have to know where you’re going to find them as they’re off the main road. I did not find the hotel staff helfpul in this regard, they claimed not to know where anything was, in spite of living and/or working in the area. This did not appear to be a very tourist-heavy area, so if you're looking for a quiet family trip this may be a good area.

Now, I will discuss the negatives. I will not return to this hotel because of the poor customer service. My mother and I agreed that this was probably the most consistently unfriendly staff we have ever encountered at a hotel. We have taken many vacations together over the years, and never have we been made to feel like we were such an inconvenience to the hotel staff.

It began with our check in. When we arrived around noon, we were told that our room wasn’t ready, and they would contact the maids to let them know we were waiting. When I reserved the room, I was told checking in early was not a problem. I had asked because I knew we would arrive around noon. That being said, I also wasn’t expecting the room to be ready and was fine with a wait. Once they advised us they were alerting the cleaning staff, however, I had an expectation that an early check-in wouldn’t be a problem---and that was the implication they made as well. After about an hour and a half, I checked with the desk, and the room wasn’t ready. If you’ve ever had to wait around and extended period with a very tired toddler, you know it’s not overly pleasant. I noticed there had been only two people before us on their list (she held a little clipboard), and they had been crossed out and apparently checked in. However, I didn’t complain and we simply waited a while longer. Finally, around 3:45, we were alerted that our room was ready. Check-in time is at 4PM. So, when I went up to check in, I mentioned that I was so glad, because we were all so tired (just small-talk, I thought). The manager, who happened to be standing there, felt it necessary to comment “Well, we do what we can, but we can’t promise EVERYTHING (rolling eyes). We ARE checking you in early. Check-in is at 4:00 PM.” I wish I could also convey the tone she used, which implied we were the most unreasonable people ever, although I had not actually complained about our wait. When I replied that I felt it wasn’t really necessary for her to remind us when check-in was, she again rolled her eyes and said “I apologize for telling you when check-in time is.” Her tone implied that I was insane, and couldn’t be reasoned with, as she clearly was just doing her job by helpfully reminding us they were doing us a favor by checking us in “early” by fifteen minutes after our nearly 4-hour wait in the lobby. In any case, I felt they were just…unnecessarily rude.

I will also add that questions about handicapped accessibility were treated flippantly, with a “there’s no other way to get to the beach than our steps” being the only answer when I asked if there might be a ramp or alternate route for my mother, for whom the 10-12 steep stair steps on the boardwalk down to the beach would pose a huge problem with her mobility issues. I’m quite sure there was probably a public-access point somewhere my mother could have used if we had known where it was. Since we didn’t, she enjoyed the beach mostly from our room. We were also checked into the wrong room initially; a one-bed side-view room when I had reserved a beachfront 2-bed room. So, we had to walk all the way back downstairs to check-in again (instead of them sending a key up, since the correct room was a few steps away---they failed to mention this or I would not have drug my toddler and mobility-challenged mother back down). I believe we were also charged the price of a suite, but we did not have a mini-fridge or a microwave. That was an inconvenience, and food I had brought expecting the microwave became just extra luggage to deal with.

On one occasion, we accidentally approached the service elevator (which was just outside our room---and was not marked as such). There happened to be a trio of cleaning staff there, one of which commented hatefully, “You at the wrong elevator. You can’t use this elevator. Aint’ that right!” She looked to her comrades for support and of course, they made faces at us and agreed with her. My Mother was visibly in pain from walking and limping, but this was not their concern.

Probably as a result of the elevator encounter, we received shoddy maid service throughout our stay. They didn’t replace the coffee or the shampoo. They didn't leave us enough towels. Luckily, there was a CVS across the street where we bought shampoo and body wash and we were able to get additional towels from the pool area. They did, however, repeatedly call us and ask to come “clean” the room, although we clearly had the “Do not Disturb” tag on the door. During one such instance, they had called and asked if they could come clean the room. We got up from our nap and I apologized for the inconvenience (unnecessarily so, actually, I was just trying to be nice) when they arrived. It was the same woman from the elevator incident and she just glared at me, in almost a threatening way and didn’t even answer me.

I could relay more examples, but these give you the general idea of the reception we received. I attempted to be friendly in all cases, and it did not make a difference. I did not think we were treated well here and I won’t return. Out of my dozens of hotel stays over the last few years, I can count the negative experiences on one hand. This one takes the top spot.

Room Tip: Be sure you get the room you paid for. I would suggest taking a printout of the room you reserved to...
3  Thank Mom2N8
HamptonOB, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed many things that our hotel had to offer. We are very unhappy to hear about the inconveniences that you had with the staff at the front desk. We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, so that we can take the neccessary steps to get these issues resolved so that no one else received the less than satisfactory treatment as you did. I hate to hear that your mom could only enjoy our white sand beaches from the comforts of your room. This too will be addressed with the staff and we will be doing training on how to address those types of questions, because we definiitely should have been able to give you an alternative. We realize that the steps do pose a problem and that is something that we are working diligently on resolving. We do hope that you give our hotel another try when you are able to return to the area. In the meantime we hope you enjoy your days and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I guess the staff were having a bad week while we were there. The most unfriendly people I have encountered in a long time. From the moment we checked in, we were greeted by an attitude and this was endured for the entire stay. We probably will not stay here again.
I would expect that type of service for a cheaper hotel!

Room Tip: gulf front rooms not worth the extra costs
3  Thank Cheaha L
HamptonOB, Assistant General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

I cannot thank you enough for reviewing your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are thankful that you have brought the poor guest service that you received to our attention. We assure you that this is not something that we practice and it saddens me to know that you encountered such poor service. We do hope that you come back and see us because we will be giving it our all to correct these issues.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Others' reviews were right on. This Hampton is new and directly on the beach with the added benefit of having three grocery stores and various restaurants right across the street. Would definitely have been absolutely wonderful if there had been refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms (they are in the suites, I believe). Breakfast at this Hampton wasn't as great as some (eggs were cold all three mornings despite being in a hot buffet server), but overall a great place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
1  Thank Karen T

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites in Orange Beach, AL. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, however we are less enthused to hear that you found your breakfast to be less that appetizing. Thank you for bringing it to our attention, we will take care of that immediately. In reference to the microwaves and refrigerators, we are diligently working on trying to get microwaves and refrigerators in all of our rooms. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to you coming back to see us again soon.