“Great Place , Excellent Staff , Except......”

Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Orange Beach, Alabama
“Great Place , Excellent Staff , Except......”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family and I had a great experience. The place was exceptional. The staff was excellent except for Oscar, the bartender, who works at the Tiki Bar. He is abrupt and needs an attitude adjustment. He yelled at his customers and needs to relax. Everything was very nice. Love Tina at front desk. She rocks!!! Large, spacious rooms, comfortable beds, wonderful breakfasts. Excellent view of the beach from balcony. Overall good place. BYOB

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HamptonOB, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear that you had a good time while you were with us in Orange Beach. I am so sorry to hear that you had to experience this at our Tiki Bar, I will make sure to address this with them and rectify this as quickly as possible, this is not the service that we provide to our guest! Please let us know when you are ready to come back to the beach. We would be honored to have you back with us soon. We look forward to your return stay!

Thanks
Tana Dishon
Hampton Inn & Suites
25518 Perdido Beach Blvd
Orange Beach, AL 36561
Phone: 251.923.4400
tana@innisfree.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Derby, Kansas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel from August 19th thru the 24th. Overall, not a bad experience but we had several issues that I felt were handled very poorly. At booking I requested a fridge in the room, upon check in I was notified there were none available but they would have one to me as soon as possible ... that never happened. The entire lobby had been flooded so there were large fans everywhere making it difficult to navigate the area.

As another traveler mentioned, we also had problems with water. The hotel made no effort to notify guests and when we contacted the front desk we were treated like we were a bother becase we wanted water! I understand a part had to be fixed but the least that could have been done was to ensure guests were notified. Even worse, after reporting the problem I witnessed hotel employees in the lobby talking badly and mocking the guests' frustrations over the issues!!!

Plan on waiting for the elevator ... a lot. The parking garage is a nice convenience. The air conditioning units are very loud but for us it was a blessing becuase it drown out the sound of slamming doors that rattled the walls and loud guests in the next room.

When I took the online survey that parent company Hilton sent me, the first questions was "were you advised of our 100% satisfaction guarantee at check in" ... NO, we sure weren't. I would have appreciated that information becuase we sure were not 100% satisfied! Overall, this is a nice facility (mostly becuase it's fairly new) but I would not reccommed it nor would i stay there again.

I was very dissappointed in the beach/water as well. The smell of the water was awful and the water color/quality is not the clear blue/green that is advertised. We went 8 miles east to Perdidio Key Florida and enjoyed every minute, I would highly reccommed that area over Orange Beach.

Room Tip: Request a room on the east side if you do not want to be over the pool area
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Susan B
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We had reservation from 8/25 to 8/28. We drove 12 hours to the hotel and checked in on 8/25, keeping an eye on the weather the whole time. The Weather channel was stating that nothing was to arrive in the area until 8/28. We then recieved a letter under our door about 9pm on 8/26 stating that we HAD to leave the hotel due to a MANDATORY evacuation by 11am on 8/27. Please note that my reservation was until the 28th. The hotel said we had to leave and the HOTEL, not I, canceled our reservation for the night of the 27th. We did not question this as it appeared that it was not an option to stay and they had already canceled our reservation. Having to drive the 12 hours back home, still not recouped from the initial drive down was very taxing. All this could be understood until I get home and check the Hamptons facebook page and see that they were actually open and taking reservation at a "great rate due to storm cancellation" for 8/27. Apparently Hampton was not making enough money off of my reservation so they kicked me and my 3 year old out to charge more to someone else for the same night. I was told that they did not find out until 1pm on the 27th and we had to be out at 11am. I asked why they could not call me, and was very rudely told they could not call everyone in the hotel. This is understanable for a 400-500 romm hotel, but there is 160 rooms at this Hampton and I am sure every room did not have a reservation for the night of the 27th. The way this has been handled by the hotel management is unacceptable and I will make sure I will tell everyone that ask never to stay at a Hampton hotel again. And of course you can no even get a call back from them for an apology.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Carolyn K
HamptonOB, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Carolyn K,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and would never want to jeopardize that. I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience you endured while in our area. Tropical storms and hurricanes are extremely unpredictable and preparing for large storms is also filled with uncertainty. The hotel had no intentions of closing or evacuating, but when Gov. Bentley issued the mandatory evacuation Sunday evening 08/26 the hotel was forced to abide, for the safety of all guests and employees. Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon lifted this evacuation midmorning Monday 08/27 after serious consideration of the storms possible effects and after we had closed our doors. The hotel chose to follow city officials and remain open for business. The reason we posted great deals on our Facebook page was to help alert evacuees from Miss/LA, to escape the danger in their area, we never raised our rates, if anything we lowered our rates because the area was evacuated the previous day. Also, the majority of the hotels in the area also remained closed even after the evacuation was lifted. We would never kick a guest out of our hotel for no reason, this was never our intentions. Once again, I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused for your vacation. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me anytime. We look forward to your stay in the future.

251-923-4400
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Had booked a reservation 8/25 to 8/28. At 9pm on the 26 th we received a paper under our door stating that we had to check out at 11am on the 27th due MANDATORY evacuatios. Under the hotels request we left at 11 on the 27th, still not completely recouped from a12 hour drive and 200 in gas. Get home and see on Hamptons Facebook Page that they are taking reservations at a great rate due to storm cancellations. Would have been great to know the hotel cancelled our 3rd night just to charge a higher rate to someone else.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Scoocho
HamptonOB, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Scoocho,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your business and would never want to jeopardize that. I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience you endured while in our area. Tropical storms and hurricanes are extremely unpredictable and preparing for large storms is also filled with uncertainty. The hotel had no intentions of closing or evacuating, but when Gov. Bentley issued the mandatory evacuation Sunday evening 08/26 the hotel was forced to abide, for the safety of all guests and employees. Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon lifted this evacuation midmorning Monday 08/27 after serious consideration of the storms possible effects and after we had closed our doors. The hotel chose to follow city officials and remain open for business. The reason we posted great deals on our Facebook page was to help alert evacuees from Miss/LA, to escape the danger in their area. We would never kick a guest out of our hotel for no reason, this was never our intentions. Once again, I am so sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused for your vacation. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me anytime. We look forward to your stay in the future.

251-923-4400
bham
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed there from Tuesday, August 14, 2012 thru Sunday, August 19, 2012. We were not told there was no hot water when we checked in. There was no hot water Tuesday night. The next 3 days the water was barely lukewarm. On Friday, there was no hot water. Saturday morning, there was no hot water. During the day Saturday, the water was turned off. We could only flush the toilets. Saturday night the water was instantly hot. Sunday morning there was no hot water again. When I called the front desk we were told to "let the water run it will eventually get hot." On Friday, I let the water run for 30 minutes and it did not get hot. We were told the hotel was fully booked; perhaps the system was not designed to handle high usuage. There was a wedding on the beach Saturday, and all I could think of was the poor bride could not take a hot shower before her wedding. I won't be returning.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank babs m
HamptonOB, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear babs m,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hampton Inn & Suites, Orange Beach. I also want to thank you for choosing our facility. You have many options for lodging in our beautiful area and I appreciate you selecting us. We did have a major issue with our water during your stay. A critical part of the water system broke and repair was delayed due to waiting for a replacement. I am sorry that you weren't properly informed of the issue by our staff and I will be addressing that immediately so our guests are fully aware of situations when in our care. I would like to invite you back to our facility. We can provide better service and I would like an opportunity to prove that to you. If there is anything I can do for you please call me anytime at 251.923.4400. I look forward to hearing from you.

Alabaster, Alabama
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Called morning of 8/26 to ask about cancelling due to Hurricane approaching. Told there would be NO cancellations and that evacuations would not occur until Wed. or Thur. if needed (we were leaving 8/28). Drove 5 hrs., checked-in, went to dinner and when we returned we were told that we would need to leave first thing next morning due to MANDATORY evacuation. We did as asked and after arriving home heard that the evacuations were not needed AND they were "rebooking" our room then. Sorry but we have to question these policies. It was alot of wasted time and gas on our part and now it appears that Hilton want be "hurting" any from the situation. We have really enjoyed staying at this property but it will probably be our last. We have given almost all of our patronage the past few years to Hilton but now we are not so sure they really appreciate it. Also, since the other poster mentioned the toll road: We were also told that there would be NO fee to leave via the toll road because it was a mandatory evac. but we had to pay anyway (was told the Mayor didn't give the word?) Who is running the Hurricane Procedures at Orange Beach Alabama?

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon C,

Thank you for being a loyal guest of ours. We appreciate your business and would never want to jeopardize that. I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience you endured while in our area. Tropical storms and hurricanes are extremely unpredictable and preparing for large storms is also filled with uncertainty. The hotel had no intentions of closing or evacuating, but when Gov. Bentley issued the mandatory evacuation Sunday 08/26 evening the hotel was forced to abide. Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon lifted this evacuation midmorning Monday 08/27 after serious consideration of the storms possible effects. The hotel chose to follow city officials and remain open for business. Once again, I am so sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused during our preparation for the storm. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me anytime.

Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed August 23, 2012

As a Hilton Diamond member for 15+ years I've seen my fair share of Hilton and Hampton properties so please trust me that this Hampton Inn will most likely exceed any and all expectations for a business traveller or a family. First off, this a new facility and the location is perfectly located as soon as you enter Orange Beach via the Foley Beach Express (HIGHLY recommend and worth every cent of the $3.50 toll). The property is located directly across the street and easily within walking distance from a shopping center that includes a Subway, CVS Pharmacy and a DQ...the latter being most important to my kids. There are also no buildings directly on either side of this beautiful 9 story hotel so views and sunsets are not obstructed. The staff was so friendly and helpful as housekeeping was so prompt to bring us towels and trash bags within minutes of our call (we dont require our room cleaned daily). The amenities are first class, well ahead of any Hampton that I've ever stayed at and this includes a huge lobby and breakfast area which leads to the pool and spa (the pool is partially covered which was helpful for the one day it rained my daughter was able to swim while I was under the covered area close to her). I was so impressed with how meticulous the staff was in keeping everything clean, especially the lobby area with everyone coming in from the beach covered in sand. The pool area does get congested in the late afternoons but that was okay with us since we were there for the beach. The hotel has a chair and umbrella service for those that dont want to pack beach chairs and gear. There is even an outdoor "Tiki Bar" for those needing a beverage and yes they have frozen drinks both with and without alcohol...along with 2 TV's which was convenient to check scores. The parking deck was well designed where you can park on 2nd or 3rd floors and have close access to the elevators (If checking in I recommend to use the 1st floor elevators and if you are checking in during the afternoon the elevators stay busy, but it was not an issue). The fitness center was a pleasant surprise as the equipment was slightly better than most Hamptons (missing a few attachments for the universal gym) but the view made the 45 minutes on the treadmill go by fast!

The rooms were well appointed (standard rooms do not have the fridge/micro combo but the upgrade rooms do). We had a handicap accessible room which was ideal because it had a wrap around balcony and larger bathrooms with spray handle in the shower to help wash the kid's hair/remove sand.

Overall, I rate our experience a perfect 10 as it was great from the minute we checked in to the leaving on the final day. For those that have never experienced Orange Beach you are in for a pleasant visit as my wife and I used to go to Destin every year but to save 2 hours and avoid the traffic of Destin in the summer we have so enjoyed Orange Beach. Safe travels!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank JPRebel
HamptonOB, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. We are so happy to hear that you had a good time while you were with us in Orange Beach. We will make sure to pass your great feedback to our staff to let them know how much of a great job they are doing! Please let us know when you are ready to come back to the beach. We would be honored to to have you back with us soon.

Thanks