“Pretty good with a few minor problems”
Review of Phoenix West

Phoenix West
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Phoenix Condominiums dominate the beach and Phoenix West is one of the newer behemoths to rise from the sand. So big that parking is in a multi-level deck instead of a surface lot common to other condominiums.

Because it’s newer and so big, it’s also one of the more spectacular condos at the beach. All units are either three or four bedrooms. Our three bedroom condo was gorgeous and nicely decorated although we had a few complaints, nothing I would call major or which affected the enjoyment of our stay. It's closer to 3 1/2 stars but given the limitations of the rating systems, it gets 4 stars.

The living and dining room, along with all bedrooms, are carpeted. We realized after viewing other condos that we would have preferred tile floors, with area rugs in the living and dining rooms, a more common design choice. The carpet proved difficult for my mom’s wheelchair.

There was also an odd element to the layout. The master bedroom did not front the ocean with a balcony, but instead had French doors that opened to the dining room. The master suite was impressive, though. It consisted of three rooms, a large bedroom with a king bed and all the standard accompanying furniture plus a spacious bath with a long double sink vanity with plenty of storage, a huge walk in shower with two shower heads, one at either end, a Jacuzzi tub and a separate closet for the toilet. The bathroom leads to a large walk-in closet with plenty of space for clothes, luggage, ironing boards, coolers and all the other stuff you haul to the beach.

The kitchen was well stocked with plates, pots and pans and kitchen tools, better than many condos I’ve stayed in at the beach. And while major appliances worked okay, they were on the low end. A blender was so cheap it wouldn’t even blend bananas and strawberries for a smoothie.

For the price, I expected more attention to detail. Bar soap in the bathroom was so old it crumbled when opened. Not a single clock was set, whether it was a clock radio, the stove or the microwave. And the television was so complicated it came with a long sheet of instructions and even then one of the televisions in a bedroom wouldn’t work. And the iron was missing from its holder above the ironing board. Towels are cheap white towels that are on par with inexpensive towels in two star hotels.

During the month family was here, maintenance requests were handled promptly. The lobby desk is staffed until 11pm, but sometimes the attendant was young and lacked the customer service skills you’d find at the front desk of a hotel.

But, it’s all relative. Listening to snow birds talk about current and previous year lodgings, it’s clear that the Phoenix brand pays better attention to their guests and buildings. If you want to pay the price, you can’t do much better than Phoenix West.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank William T
There are newer reviews for Phoenix West

Reviewed March 27, 2014

For the last 8 - 10 years I can't recall exactly how many years. It may have been more than that we've vacationed in the Gulf Shores. The only properties we have stayed in are the Phoenix properties. Each year it is a phenomenal vacation. When we started vacationing in Gulf Shores it was 4 of us (2 couples). My husband and I had a 6 year old at the time and the other couple had a 5 year old. Now we bring about 30 people the fourth week of June every year and the Phoenix properties continue to get better and better. Our son will be 19 next month in April and in college and the other couple have a 18 year old with two more siblings so we may have vacationed here longer than 10 years and they will not miss this vacation. Last year the majority of the 30 of us stayed in Phoenix West and what a fabulous time we had. Beautiful, spacious rooms! Phoenix West Property is very beautiful. The Lazy River was better than what I saw on the internet and extrememly relaxing. We loved every moment of it.
My only 2 complaints are the new policy for the 4 bedrooms this year and yes the elevator wait. We had to take the stairs last year because of the wait for the elevator had a line of people. The walking of the stairs was good for some that needed to walk, but not for my mom and others that could not walk it was not good. Phoenix West is too large and has too many rooms for those small and four elevators. Usually we have booked by February. This year only of the families booked early and before Brett Robinson and owners threw in this new policy for 4 bedroom rentals renting from Saturday to Saturday only about a month ago. Did you post a warning about this policy or did this just come up because people were renting 3 or 4 days. We need a Monday - through a Saturday and 4 bedrooms. We are still trying to come up with how we are going to make this work with 3 bedrooms. Somehow we will, but hope you can alter your policy some.

However, Phoenix West you are at the top of my list as far as a vacation spot. Bringing 2 or 3 more couples this year and their first time to come. I truly believe this will be their vaction spot just as it is ours after their 1st visit. I truly recommend the Phoenix West as anyone's vacation spot. Now the Phoenix West II is open. WoW! Awesome!

Room Tip: I recommend looking online at your room to see what you like and need in a you and your family. All...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Excellent300
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our first visit to the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area. Our family has stayed in many beach condos before, and Phoenix West is definitely in our top 5! The whole facility is beautiful and so easy to access. We were in a 3 BR/4 BA condo and it was huge! Each BR had its own BA and then there was an extra full BA in the hall. The parking deck was so easy to access when unloading and they even had grocery-type carts in addition to the regular luggage carts. They have a very nice lazy river in addition to the outdoor pool. The indoor pool was fabulous and so big! There are 2 hot tubs also with the indoor pool along with nice tables and chairs for people to sit in. The staff at Phoenix West were top notch, too. Anytime we saw them in passing, they always spoke and asked us to let them know if we needed anything. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kacki62
Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in a four-bedroom, five-bathroom condo with our three kids and another family with two kids. The location is convenient to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. in Orange Beach. We went the weekend after Labor Day weekend, and it wasn't crowded at all.

We were on an upper floor in a corner unit, so we had tons of windows and a beautiful view! The kitchen was well-stocked and spacious. The unit was clean, and we loved being out on the balcony. The property was well-maintained. We especially loved the pool and the lazy river when we needed a break from the beach!

The only problem we had was that we had a problem with one of our toilets and reported it to the front desk on Saturday morning, but it wasn't until Monday that a maintenance person showed up. It wasn't urgent, but I wish the front desk would have told me that they wouldn't come on the weekend. Since we had so many other bathrooms, it wasn't a big deal. We will definitely be back to Orange Beach and Phoenix West!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Marissa H
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The phoenix west is a great place to stay and enjoy the beach. Big, luxurious rooms, nice indoor pool, huge slide and lazy river are just a few great reasons to stay there! It's location on the beach was the best I've seen yet. My husband, I and our 2 children couldn't have had a better time. We booked our stay with Brett Robinson vacation rentals, they were so helpful and made booking stress free. We will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jenreed31
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We love room 607 at Phoenix West. We have stayed twice and hope to stay again. We don't have to worry about the elevators as we can just park on the sixth floor. The condo was clean and fully stocked. The beach was beautiful and we saw many dolphins and my son caught a lot of fish off the shore. The little kids love the water slide and lazy river but the water was a little chilly for me. I definitely felt like I was at home.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank cjsj
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Phoenix West is a wonderful building. We stayed in Unit 2605 from Oct. 5-12, 2013. This unit was amazing. It was well decorated and very clean. We only had 4 in our party. However, there was seating for much more. We usually travel with more people so this is important to me. I was expecting to find some spices, salt & pepper, etc., but there was nothing in the kitchen except cookware. This was fine - just be prepared to take everything. The only complaint I have about the Phoenix West is the elevators. The day of check-in, it was terrible. We waited forever to get out stuff up to the condo and then again after we picked up groceries. It was fine the rest of the week. I think there were just too many people trying to unpack their cars at the same time. The pool and lazy river were both very nice and my children enjoyed both. The beach was very crowded for October. However, to the right of the condo are several houses so if you walked a little ways, you could have the beach to yourself. My husband caught over 50 flounder while we were there so the fishing was excellent. I would highly recommend Phoenix West, specifically #2605 if you are planning a trip to Orange Beach. We rented through Brett Robinson Vacations and everything went smoothly. They even offered a full refund when it looked like Tropical Storm Karen may turn into a hurricane. Luckily, that did not happen and we had beautiful weather for most of our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Best Western Premier, The Tides Hotel
Turquoise Place
Turquoise Place
#1 of 19 in Orange Beach

Been to Phoenix West? Share your experiences!