“Comfortable stay for family vacation with four kids”
Review of Levins Bend

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orange Beach
Levins Bend
Henderson, Nevada
“Comfortable stay for family vacation with four kids”
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I will start this review by making a disclosure. I have never really rented a condo for vacation so I have nothing to compare this to; however, the family members that I went with have done so on many occasions so some of my comments are based off of their observations.

Condo unit 801
The condo itself was very tastefully decorated. Had 2 balconies with nice views, 3 bedrooms and a fourth smaller bedroom with 4 bunk beds – perfect for the four kids we had in tow. Check-in was a breeze and they had carts for us to haul all our stuff in.

The complaint with the unit was that it was not completely outfitted as some other units have been. The unit is clearly set up to assume that 10 people would occupy it. However, there wasn’t enough seating for 10 people in the living room or kitchen. There were also minimal utensils and towels (we had to wash in the first few days). One window (my room – lucky me) did not have blackout shades, while all the others in the unit did. We inquired upon check out if the unit was owned by an owner or the development. Coming to find out it’s owned by the development company so that’s why it’s not outfitted as good as other units. The staff at checkout did seem concerned and they asked for a list of items that would help to round out the unit.

Oasis Water Area
We spent a lot of time at the pool area. You go outside of the ground level of the condos and take a shuttle to the pool. We never had a problem with the shuttle not appearing as others have complained about. It was always there within a minute or two. Pool area was very nice and had a great area for the kids. Unfortunately, the wave pool was broken the entire time and staff said it had been broken for a couple of weeks while they were waiting for parts. One day they didn’t have any towels as their cleaning service was late. That was kind of a pain. You aren’t supposed to bring food / drinks into the pool area, but we did. Just put your snacks in a small cooler and put that cooler in a beach bag. No one ever questioned us. We did get a couple of frozen drinks from the snack shop and they were ok – nothing great.

Shops and Entertainment
Looks like a lot of things have closed lately – I’m sure a result of the economy and the oil spill in the gulf. The girls did browse around the shops. A couple of cute places and we did pick up a couple of things. We did go the movies one day so it’s nice having that there. The kids also did laser tag – not my thing, but the boys had fun. Some of the group also went on the Ferris Wheel. Did go to the Rum Runners piano bar on our last night. That was a lot of fun. Would definitely recommend a visit there.

All in all, it was a nice place. Would I stay there again, maybe, only if that’s where we family was going. I am curious to see if this development gets any larger. There are supposed to be additional condo buildings, etc., but I don’t really see that happening anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Staying at The Wharf for our second summer and am sorely disappointed. Last year we traveled as a family here for 5 days and had the most amazing experience but oh what a difference a year makes! Booked directly through the property this time for 7 nights and learned upon check in that they had changed us from the condo we'd requested. The new condo has no dining table and even the small table on our tiny balcony has only 2 chairs - we're a family of THREE! The Oasis this year is awful! Rude staff and never opens on time. Also it is filthy! Cups, dirty towels, trash, and beer cans litter the place. Plenty of staff on site but they're too busy texting or chatting. Deflated tubes, broken hammocks and chairs are scattered about - lovely! Many of the shops we enjoyed last year are gone, leaving so much empty that you wonder why you're still here, too. We were told by an employee of a restaurant still there that Johnny Rockets was shut down following it's 2nd drug raid. Not sure if that's accurate but wouldn't be surprised. I wish we would have taken our chances with a condo on the beach frankly. Don't waste your money with this place! We won't again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LittleRockMom04

Travelers are raving about these Orange Beach hotels

L.A.
Reviewed February 2, 2010

From the rude employees to the moldy rooms. It was a disaster. This is a place for kids. And looks to be ran by kids. Place is a joke. No privacy as maintenance barges in your room. Very unsatisified.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank beaudreaux
Baton Rouge LA
Reviewed July 14, 2009

We arrived early for check in (1:30) and we were told that the room was not ready and that they would contact us when we could return for check in. No that big of deal because we were aware that check in time was listed as 3:00. We decided to go out for a late lunch and wait for the rental office staff to contact us. Mistake! We waited until 4:00 and then decided to call them. They never answered the phone! We returned to the rental office and found out that they had simply forgotten to call us.
When we arrived at our condo we found it to be very well equipped with all the amenities that anyone could expect, even came equipped with a wine chiller! We had a corner condo so the balcony seemed to be almost as big as the interior and had space for 18 people (# of chairs). We were on the third level so the view was very nice over the intercoastal waterway and the marina. All three of the bedrooms were moderately decorated and felt very comfortable. At this point we felt very satisfied with our decision to stay here. This would soon change!
We have 2 young children who were eager to venture off to the pool area known as the Oasis. When I questioned the location of the pool I found out that the pool was located approximately a 1/4 mile down the road past the ampitheater and that a tram was offered to shuttle people back and forth. This was a slight inconvenience with 2 small children when the tram never seemed to show up! Once we arrived at the Oasis we were very pleased. The pool area offered many different areas to swim and the best part is most of the areas were shallow enough that my 3 year old could stand above the water. The Tiki bar at the pool was very affordable and offered enough items to get you through most of the day if you felt the need to stay there for a while.
The dissapointing moments started at night when my wife and I were trying to get the kids to sleep and found this to be nearly impossible due to the loud music being played in the bar that was located below us. We were on the third floor and the bar is on the ground level and it was still loud enough in our room to make all the pictures on the wall tilt to one side. We had to try and drown out the sound by leaving the TV on in the kids room because this continued until 2:00 in the morning. We also had another couple with us that stayed in the front bedroom and they didn't get much sleep that night either. We agreed to swap bedrooms every night because the master suite was quieter than the rest. So we managed to squeeze out a few hours of sleep.

I have listed good and bad items from our trip at The Wharf below

Good
1. Very nice pool area with security gate access
2. Nice view of the marina from the balcony
3. Good amenities offered in the room

Bad
1. Music from the bar below made it impossible to sleep!
2. Shops outside were a bit expensive
3. Bathrooms were dirty when we arrived and it is impossible to call and talk to someone at the rental office. We ended up cleaning the bathrooms ourselves.
4. Staff was not helpful at all. Horrible!
5. Carpets in the rooms were filthy. I even took pictures on my phone to show the rental office what I meant by "dirty carpet"

When we checked out on our final day we requested to report all the issues with the room and the girl at the rental office showed us a list of previous complaints with the room that we stayed in. We were not surprised that all the complaints were about the music, the bathrooms and carpets being dirty. We actually felt sorry for the girl at the rental office at checkout time because we were not the only ones that were complaining about the same issues. I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard that poor girl say "I'm sorry"

The Wharf seems to have loads of potential to be a hot spot for vacationers but I can't help feeling that the resort is not managed well. We always had the impression that no one was willing to help us with anything! If you are a night owl that enjoys staying up listening to loud music this might be the place for you, but if you enjoy sleeping every night good luck, do yourself a favor and reserve a room that is higher than the 4th floor!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank GeauxTigers09
Louisiana
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My family and I decided to stay at The Wharf, Levins' Bend - condos in Orange Beach, AL this year. It was fantastic. The Wharf (www.thewharfal.com) is a big outdoor mall with shops, restaurants, a movie theater and a ferris wheel. Guests also have access to the pool complex - The Oasis.
Great family place. The complex also has an Amphitheater where they have big star concerts. Our condo was on the fourth floor with a view of the marina, the Gulf Intracoastal canal, and it faced west so you could see the beautiful sunset. Levins' Bend is secure condo bldg. with a key pad code to get in. We went through Meyer's Real Estate to rent the condo at Levins' Bend. Great service. It was $250/night for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath lovely condo. The shops are a little expensive, but beautiful to visit. Great family place. Not crowded. Tram service to The Oasis and back to the condo. Approx. 2 miles from Gulf State Park, if you have to get your Gulf of Mexico fix. Highly recommend family experience at Lambert's. Get there around 4:15 p.m. Will try Lulu's next time. Must get there before 5:00. Took a Dolphin Cruise next to Flipper's restaurant. Great family boating experience. Can't wait to go back to Orange Beach, AL.

5 Thank DMLGBL
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach

Been to Levins Bend? Share your experiences!