“Very Nice, but not on beach”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Orange Beach
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stayed here in the winter with a girlfriend and loved it. It is brand new, very clean, and a nice big room. The staff was very friendly, the free computer came in handy and the breakfast was noraml Marriott. It was clean and quiet and that is very important to me.

The con is it is not on the beach. It isn't far but for folks with kids, older folks, etc, it is across the street. It is a good walk to gwt to it. I wasn't swimming in the winter so I didn't care. Just letting you know.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2010

We booked the room, a king executive suite, months in advance on the internet.
When we checked in at 7 pm we were told that there only was a room available on the second floor. While our Marriott preferences say high floor, but the clerk never heard of preferences. Is this a Marriott??? When we got there, the room was an accessible room and it smelt strange. So we got back to the frontdesk. The clerk explained that the hotel was almost full because of workers for the oil spill who are are staying there for months. We got another king room on the second floor. When I opened the curtains my view was a wall..not the nice view as I saw on photos:-( There are a lot of rooms with balcony. We paid for the executive suite but no balcony? The bathroom was not clean..floor was dirty and black hairs.. I almost fell of the bowl because it was not straight! (see photo) The room was not clean but I was too tired to go back. The airconditioning is next to the bed so very cold en was not working very well. I woke up in the middle of the night en it was very hot in the room. Next morning, the breakfast was ok and we checked out. The clerk was on the phone and didn't hang up and ignored us. So we dropped the key and left withhout a single word. Location was also a disappointment because it was too far from the sea. You can better go to the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn who are right on the shoreline.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nikita007
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I traveled with my husband, son and daughter in law to this area for a family reunion in May 2010. Having reserved online a suite with 2 Queen beds and a sleeper sofa, and guaranteed this room with a credit card, we were shocked to arrive at 7:30 p.m. on our first night of stay, to check in and go to our room to discover that we were given a room with 1 kingsize bed and a sleeper love seat. Assuming the front desk clerk simply made a mistake, I went back down and told them of the mistake. The response was even more shocking! Because we did not arrive by 6 p.m., our guaranteed room was not really guaranteed and had been given to someone else. We were told there were no other double queen rooms available and were asked why we were so upset as we had been given a $10 credit for our room where we could easily pull out the sleeper love seat for 2 of our 4 person party and sleep all 4 of us with no trouble!

Oh, my! Did I reserve and guarantee a double queen room to sleep 4 grown adults to have to come here and pull out a bed from the love seat to sleep half my party! NO! The front desk clerk and another clerk she called to help her said I didn't guarantee my room with a credit card and this was the problem. Knowing that I did, I returned to the room to get my laptop and pull up my email confirmation of this reservation. I did this and showed both clerks where the room was reserved and guaranteed with a credit card and was told this didn't matter because they didn't have that in their system.....mind you, the email confirmation was from Marriott, so why did they not have it? While this discussion was going on, another guest came to check in and....surprise, surprise....she was given a double queen room on the spot...when I had just been told they had no more double queen rooms.

To say I was livid would be an understatement. After returning to this very small room for 4 adults with 1 bed, we were further shocked to have a knock on the door where a maintenance man was waiting with a roll away bed...said he was told to bring it to our room....he was the most pleasant, polite person we saw at this hotel and he apologized repeatedly for our issues with the reservations. We were unable ot use the roll away bed as the room was too small to house 4 adults, a pull out sofa love seat bed and a roll away bed!

Although this hotel is nicely decorated and is very clean, I would not recommend it to anyone at all. The front desk staff are rude and belligerent, even in the face of their own errors, and do not attempt to accomodate your needs - even when you can prove your case with your own confirmation form sent by Marriott!. I wish I had gotten the name of the maintenance man who came with the roll away bed. He was so polite and apologetic and wanted to help resolve the room issues. He should have been working the front desk and put the front desk clerks somewhere else!

I received a follow up review (after your stay review) from Marriott which I completed with this same story in it, hoping Marriott would contact this hotel and try to resolve this kind of issue. I have not heard back from Marriott or the hotel manager of this location, so I am assuming that a lack of consideration for guests is across the board in this organization - which would explain the lack of training and customer service skills we encountered.

We travel to this area 3 or 4 times a year on business, besides our personal visits for reunions and to visit family. Normally we stay at The Isand House, which is beach front, but thought we would try this hotel this visit. We will not make that mistake again!

I would definitely explore any other hotels in the area before contacting this organization again!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank Mimi36092
Reviewed June 25, 2010

I came down to visit family who live in gulf shores and a friend recommended the Fairfield in Orange Beach. I had a great stay despite the oil situation down there. They have nice rooms, with a fairly modern look and seem to stay busy with groups. They do need to keep up a little better with maintenance as it seems people are pretty rough on things there. The staff were all polite and honest in helping me when I needed some recommendations for a place to eat. I'd recommend Shipp's Harbour Grill next time your down. I'm not sure why there are so many mixed reviews as it seemed to be a fairly reputable marriot.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2010

My room stinks, hotel can't do anything about it. The room with a king size bed feels more like a closet than a room - this is not even a Motel 6 quality - Highly Don't Recommend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank hatethishotel55
Reviewed June 2, 2010

I will never stay at this hotel again! They NEVER cleaned our room the whole time we were there. We checked in on a Friday and left on a Sunday. When I arrived home the next day I noticed bites all over my legs. I didn't think much of it because they looked like mosquito bites. The itching got worse and they got more red and swollen. I found out they were bed bug bites. What a nightmare!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank vanessa_fayard
philldar71, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Orange Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2010

Upon notification of your suspicion we immediately had Ecolab, an expert in Hospitality and Industrial Extermination, inspect the room that you stayed in for bed bugs. Ecolab certified that there were no bed bugs in the room. Records are kept of the inspection and are available for your review.

Reviewed May 29, 2010

For the past 10 years, our family has stayed only at Marriott Hotels. My husband travels in his civillian job, and lived at a Marriott for 2 years. The following are some of the issues that we had with our stay at Orange Beach:
1. Slow check-in, and did not recieve the upgrade that we were promised when I booked this vacation on the phone. When I asked the supervisor in charge about it, he just changed the subject.
2. No coffee at breakfast, and when I asked them to make some in the evening, he filled the coffee container up with hot water! The next morning at breakfast, the staff argued with my husband over coffee!
3. The ad shows a beach picture, but this hotel is behind a Dollar General, and they drive you to a red light across the street from the beach. Then you are on your own. If it gets dark, they won't come pick you up.
4. On day 2 of our stay, we returned from a visit to the beach, only to find another family entering our room. Good thing I was wearing my valuables and had taken my purse. When hubby called the front desk, the man in charge just giggled.
5. Marriott always calls my room after I get settled in to check and see how everything is, but not this Marriott.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family