“Two Happy Honeymooners”

Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Two Happy Honeymooners”
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My husband & I were so impressed with this Fairfield's customer service and amenities! The front desk, breakfast ambassadors, GM and house keeping staff were all so welcoming & helpfull! The room was very comfortable & quiet with a fridge, large flat screen tv and had a huge bathroom with a fan :) The hotel is not straight on the beach however, it is a short walk (5 minutes tops). The Orange Beach Fairfield also offers to drive you to the beach (skipping the walk) in their golf cart. The hotel owns their own strip of beach access for honeymooners like our selves to go down and alleviate having to find beach parking. By the way, their breakfast is good too. We will be back again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank E B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Arab, Alabama
Reviewed July 30, 2011

My family & I recently stayed here for a weekend at the beach. The staff were very nice and friendly. The breakfast was good. Our room was very nice and had a balcony overlooking the pool. The beds were comfortable. The bathrooms were very clean. The only thing that I would suggest would be to put in sidewalks along the sides of Loop Road which would make walking to the beach a little easier for those who don't wish to use the complimentary golf cart shuttle.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AUChickadee
The Colony, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and 11 month daughter stayed at this hotel during 4th of July for our 1st family vacation. We have stayed at plenty of Marriott's and thought this one was great! Our room was comfortable with a king size bed, the front desk was helpful and the breakfast was fab - it's free, I'm not sure why people complain. If you don't want it, then eat somewhere else!
It is not ON the beach, but still very convenient. When we were ready to go to the beach, we told the front desk and a golf cart brought us to the intersection - the beach is just across the street. We didn't have a problem with a stroller, our baby, a sun dome (for the baby) and 2 bags. You can call for a ride back, but we walked back with no problem. They have a private walkway that you can use and we didn't have any issues.
The Italian restaurant next to Walmart was excellent! Hope this helps! :)
We would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank kgtxgirl
North Carolina
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We tried to get into this hotel twice. Had a lot of confusion with hotel staff vs. 800 Marriott rewards phone line. Both kept saying we had to speak to the other. We finally left the hotel and went on to our next destination with the understanding that we would try later to see if we could use reward nights during the summer. We did finally get 2 nights confirmed and were able to go back to this property.
Average hotel. OK staff, overall, especially the front desk ladies and the management team. They really didn't seem much interested in going out of their way for their guests, which was disappointing for me. We had been staying in Marriotts all across the whole region for 2 weeks, so this was a stark contrast from what we had been receiving at other Marroitt properties. I don't know if the front staff (ladies) and hotel manager (Karen?) were annoyed at guests who use rewards nights or what, but I thought that's what Marriott rewards was for, to be happy to see regular Marriott guests. It was unusual not to feel more welcomed by front desk staff and especially hotel managers. I recognize it is busy season, but I heard the manager telling more people than just me that they were busy, it was busy season. Not too politely, not too apopogetically, but more annoyed than anything. Not a great way to get folks to stay, or to stay again, or to even think of returning to your property. I was very, very surprised to hear such an annoyed tone coming from hotel managers who earn their living with customer service, over a span of 3 whole days, nonetheless, not just an isolated occurrence. I guess since they are the only Marriott near the beach, maybe they can choose to not be as nice?? There are other hotels, even if they are not Marriotts and if I were to visit the area again, I would consider spending my money elsewhere and not even earning my points, which I love, but the staff seemed that annoyed with guests who were WANTING to STAY, STAY OVER or just in general SPEND MONEY at this property!!!
The exceptions were 1 cheery, ALWAYS SMILING breakfast lady named Wynee who WAS AN ABSOLUTE TREASURE, and 1 sweet housekeeper lady named Lina. Those 2 ladies made us feel more welcome than any one else in the hotel including the manager. Those non-front staff 2 ladies are your shining stars by far.
The rooms were nice, everything was very clean. People were cleaning the property all of the time, which really showed because everything sparkled. The pool was lovely, even though it was a bit small when a lot of kids had to use it due to jellyfish in the Gulf. It was an excellent temp for the summer, not too hot, not too cold, but very refreshing. And the pool overlooks a pond or creek or something, so it had an added nice view. The hotel also has music piped out there, which made it a great place to relax in the sun.
This property is not directly on the beach, but apparently they have a private area of the beach and had a golf cart shuttle to the beach which was really nice. We did not actually use either, but it was a wonderful touch to know it was there if we chose to use it.
The room and hotel were nice, the breakfast was nice, I just would certainly recommend some customer service classes for that manager and her front desk ladies. If we, all of the customers, don't return, your hotel will close. I can tell there's great care taken with the appearance and cleanliness, now just take a lesson from Wynee & Lina on how to be nice to your guests. After all, that's why you got into this career, right?

Room Tip: Good luck with this front desk staff. If you get a room, you'll be lucky!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lisaj1962
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for three nights while on a house hunting trip.

No, the hotel isn't close to the beach, but we prefer Johnson Beach to the public beaches anyway. We were able to see and smell the Gulf and that was good enough for us. Go for the vacation ambiance, not the beach itself.

The room itself was clean and spacious and the hotel was convenient to Beach Boulevard and Publix. We had two complaints. First, the Mardi Gras parade that closed down Beach Boulevard, blocking our access back to the hotel. Second, it appears spring break partying has made its way from Panama City to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores. We called the front desk on a loud party across the hall, and the back entrance was surrounded by beer bottles.

Would never stay here in the summer, and probably not again during spring break, but definitely would come back in the off season.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We had a 2Q suite that was immaculately clean and had plenty of room for 5. The hotel is across the street from their beach access, however they are at the rear of a Walmart and a strip mall, so the access is 400 yards away and across 5 lanes of traffic. The hotel uses a golf cart shuttle to get you there if you wish.
The free hot breakfast is the worst of any chain I have stayed at. Low quality breakfast sandwiches that you microwave yourself, slimy muffins. English muffins were the highlight. They also have the standard chain belgian waffles but only have 2 machines for a very large hotel. Weekday breakfast is 0600 to 0930. I know this is probably a corporate decision but this is a vacation hotel-insisting you be up and presentable by 0930 on vacation is draconian.
The staff is unfailingly helpful and polite. One man who appeared to be roving and taking care of anything he found insisted on putting the quarter I needed in the dryer even though my son was on his way to get change. The staff make the hotel.
I also noticed that housekeeping began aggressively beating on doors at exactly 0900. If you want to sleep in make sure your do not disturb sign is out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Imagination
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I will never stay at this hotel or recommend for others. When my family and I stayed we were double charged for the room. We paid over $800 for room with two beds not a suite. It took almost two weeks to get my money returned, after I complained to headquarters and the local office several times. Once my money was finally return to compensate for my hardship, the manager offered to book my family for another stay- not during peak times- for a discounted rate. The discounted rate was regular price! Also the picture is misleading. The beach is located across a busy six lane highway. The golf cart will only take the guest to the stop light at the corner and you must walk across. There is no breezeway or covered walking area. Perhaps if you are a traveling couple, this will seem like a minor inconvenience. However, for a family with small kids and beach items this is hell on earth to get across. Please do not book here spend the extra money to be in a better hotel and book somewhere else!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family