“Romar Place 102 and 103 ”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Romar Beach

Romar Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Romar Place 102 and 103 ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

Both of these units were great. The location was perfect. We had 2 units (yes my family is THAT large) and I loved how easily accessible the units were to one another. Meyer Realty was super helpful with the reservations. Definitely will return again

Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Miss K

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Lake Charles, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stay in Unit 112 at Romar Beach every time that we come to the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area, and we love staying here. It is a perfect location for families. There is a swimming pool and a covered area with picnic tables. The beach itself is also beautiful. We love that the condo building is not too big, so the beach area is not overcrowded like other places where we have stayed in the area. It is also at a great location, close to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, as well as many restaurants and shopping.

The condo itself is very nice too. It is roomy and decorated nicely. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Julesfromlc
Longview, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have stayed at the condo for the past two years, the owner has really fixed it up and it was great two weeks ago. We are from Texas. Orange beach is awesome and there are so many new restaurants. I love the seafood. The unit has a nice new flat screen tv and I love how it overlooks both the pool, beach, and the hotel next door with all the palm trees. The owners have a bunch of nick nacks we haven't had in other rentals, like wine openers etc and the price is right. We will continue staying here as a family of 6. The pools okay but next door has a walk up bar which is very nice in the afternoons. Its also so close to the gulf beach park; you have the entire beach area there to yourself which is something the phoenix's don't have, "I also think there overpriced".

Room Tip: Romar is a little older than some of the newer condos but the price is good, the location is good, a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brad E
Pelham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

We planned this last minute and had a great time. The weather was perfect, condo very cute and nicely decorated and we got a last minute deal which was very much appreciated! If we paid the full price, my review would be very different.

There were a couple maintenance issues that could not be addressed during our stay due to the holiday weekend. If we knew about them before trying to fix them, it would have been beneficial. There were work arounds, so once we knew that nothing could be done on our weekend, we didn't let it bother us. It took 3 phone calls to get a response about them and on a short weekend that is 2 too many. Only after the 2nd call to maintenance after stating I called the owners and left a message did I receive a call back telling me nothing could be done during our stay.

I do not understand why in a travel related area that maintenance is not available during a renters stay. You would think the main priority is to make your guests as comfortable as possible. If an issue is known, then it would have been nice to know ahead of time so my time wasn't wasted and I wouldn't have risked injury. This particular comment is directed to the main sliding glass door that was off track and when I called about it, after the third call, got the response that others just used the other door-telling me that this was a known issue. The door almost tipped over on me and in my opinion is a hazard and you are risking a law suit. The door should have had some kind of warning on it because it is very heavy and I'm lucky I was able to catch it without injury. I tried to open from the outside deck and this is when it totally came off track and almost completely fell over. The only reason I did this was because no one told me prior to our stay that this door was broken and the Glass Doctors were scheduled to come out after the holiday weekend.

Other wise we adapted and had a wonderful time. Just be honest with your renters; I know I would of appreciated it an would not have wasted my vacation time attempting to fix it.

This is an older complex, but the location is great the condo is clean! The only recommendation I can give is in the 2nd bedroom the floors where very slippery most likely from previous vacationers using oil based lotions and sprays. My daughter slipped but caught herself. Should use something like Pine Sol to remove the oils from sunscreens and lotions.

Does need to work on pealing paint in the master bath, the water pressure in the master bath is very low, the A/C vent about the Kitchen sink drips on you while you are cleaning up or cooking, the drying lint catcher needs to be replaced - it is completed rusted and jagged and could cut someone and cause an infection, I recommend using a paper towel when removing the lint to avoid cuts. The balconies on the property, if you especially have children, do not lean on the rails, very flimsy and I honestly didn't feel comfortable just resting my arms on it looking at the view.

Since the maintenance staff seemed to be unavailable, I most likely wouldn't stay again because I feel they should be available at all times, even holiday weekends.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Maintenance staff response time and not available to us
  • Stayed May 2012
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2008

We thought Orange Beach would be wonderful for our reunion that occurs every two years where folks come from all over the world. We contacted Sugar Sands Realty for our accommodations. Mistake.

Sugar Beach, Romar House, and Romar Beach condos are represented by Sugar Sands Realty. Upon arrival, we find that the most important attendees had been moved - without warning - about 2 miles down the beach to another property. The patriarch couldn't even be in the same area with his grown children who had traveled from Greece, Saudi Arabia, and Austria to see him! The realty company offered no apologies or compensation. Upon arrival, mice poop was everywhere.

Stay with me here. Now....back at the ranch (the real property that was booked for EVERYONE) two of the married couples at the reunion and on vacation with their spouses were moved without warning from the original reservations made with the realty company - a 2 queen bed room condo - to a one king bed and four bunk beds condo! So much for the planned holiday for one couple, huh? Again, no apologies, no compensation, just an uncaring attitude (and plenty of it!)

Oh...and watch out for the number of cars you want to park at Romar Beach. Yes, you do have "parking space rights" guaranteed by Sugar Sands Realty. Spaces available to you are based on the number of rooms in the condo you rent. But get this - the realty company wants $12.00 for every space you take!!!! Can you believe this? It's off-season! There were all kinds of open spaces!!!!

Okay, sorry to rant. The beach WAS beautiful. The weather WAS wonderful. The reunion folks bonded immediately all over again as we always do. Great fun was had by all.

Until check-out.

Remember the two couples that were trying to figure out who would end up in the bunk bed room? Guess what was on the check-out bill. EXTRA charges! The realty company charges you 4% credit card fee on the required credit card deposit. If you want to pay the remainder on your bill with a credit card at check-out, another 4% fee will be on your bill. Also, they don't tell you that you will be charged a housekeeping fee ($79.00), a processing fee ($30.00), and a damage waiver fee ($39.00, what is THIS?).

So, the agreed upon $250 off-season rental now adds up with all taxes and fees to (drumroll, please) - $451.50!

I know we should have gone back to talk with them about it, but after the attitudes the young women staffing the realty office gave us about the one parking pass we requested at arrival, we opted just to leave and chalk it up to experience. Hope you'll learn from ours. Buyer beware.

• Stayed October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
13 Thank scout4u
SugarSands, Manager at Romar Beach, responded to this review, May 7, 2009
This guest book their reservation through a 3 rd party (i.e. Orbitz, Travelocity, etc) a were not informed or did not read all of the rental policies at the time of reservation. They had the opportunity to contact the party they made the reservation through to get their money returned. We have been in business since 1987 and 70% of our business are repeaters.

Travelers are raving about these Orange Beach hotels

#25 of 42 in Orange Beach
Clearwater Condominiums
Clearwater Condominiums
#24 of 42 in Gulf Shores

Been to Romar Beach? Share your experiences!