“Wonderful beach week in Sept 2011”
Review of Palm Beach

Palm Beach
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Orange Beach
Jekyll Island, Georgia
“Wonderful beach week in Sept 2011”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the Escapes to the Gulf at Orange Beach/Palm Beach Resort courtesy of our exchange through Interval International. We had read several reviews prior to arriving that were less than flattering of the property so we were pleasantly surprised upon arrival. We had a wonderful week, loved our unit, and would highly recommend this resort to anyone. We arrived driving through Pensacola, Florida, and would recommend an alternate route for others if possible. The traffic is very slow. We arrived at around 2:50pm (check in is officially at 3pm) and had our room and keys in about 10 mins. There are four buildings (A-D); we were in A on the fourth floor. The unit was wonderful with a kitchen, dining area, small living room, large bedroom and a very large bathroom with both a walk in shower and a Jacuzzi. There are TVs (not flat screens) in both the living room and bedroom, to include VHS and DVD players. The unit came with one single use laundry detergent packet to be used with the washer and dryer, two packages of coffee (inside a filter) ready for use, several dishwasher tabs, dishwashing liquid, and bars of bath soap. The kitchen is fully stocked. There is no maid service but the unit came with a set of 8 towels and washcloths. We had a balcony that could be accessed from the living room or bedroom giving views of one of the pool areas and the beach. Although the wireless access code was only for non-time share exchange guests, the room did have a Ethernet cable to access the internet. The resort has two pools and a small fitness room. The pools are between buildings A and B and C and D. The pool gates remain locked until 9am so there’s no opportunity for an early morning swim, however both pools were kept immaculately clean during our week stay. The fitness room is actually a weight room with two big nautilus-like machines, two benches and a set of free weights. There are both stairs and an elevator to get to the different floors. Within a few miles heading right exiting the resort, are many restaurants and shops in Orange Beach. To buy groceries, you can choose from Walmart Market, Winn Dixie or Publix. Turning left from the resort will take you into Gulf Shores.

Room Tip: Almost every room has a view of the beach and or the pool. Views are better from the upper floors.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cathyd

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Moundville, Alabama
Reviewed March 24, 2011

We arrived on March 13 for a weeks stay for spring b reak. Check in was simple and we were in our room in 15 minutes.This is a timeshare and this was a getaway I booked through Interval International. We had a 1 Bedroom on the 4th floor. It was located toward the front so our beach view was minimal. The room itself was sparcely decorated but clean and had everything we needed for the week. There were plenty of towels and sheets and blankets. There was no maid service throughout the week but was available for a fee. There was a washer dryer in the condo.
The resort itself was landscaped well and very close to the beach. There are two pools but only one was heated making the heated pool slightly crowded. This wouldn't be a problem in the summer . There are not many activities and very few things to do besides the beach and pool. I think they do have a gym room but I never saw it. My grandson would have liked a game room but there wasn't one. I would have to say that this resort is a place to relax and has more of a family residential feel which was fine with me. I was very pleased with their security. They were ever present even more so than some bigger hotels that we've stayed.
I highly recommend this resort if you want to relax and just enjoy the beach.
Now for the confusing part. The resort we booked was "Escapes" to the Gulf at Orange Beach. On the building it says Palm Beach. There is another"" Escapes" building down the road a mile or so. It was a tower type building.We didn't go there so I cant say anything else about it. I just wish Escapes would somehow make it more clear with the names and location.
I highly recommend this resort for young families and older couples. Families with teens may find it lacking in activities.
As for resturants in the area, Jakes was a big disappointment and there's actually nothing good I can think of to say about it. Hazel's is a good place for breakfast. Nothing fancy but pretty good buffet breakfast. My husband loves their made to order omelets.
The best resturant I've been to in quite awhile in the area is Wolf Bay Lodge. It's very casual but everything we ordered was excellent. Some of the best Oysters I've ever had and the red snapper was excellent also.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Gizmoses
Southeast, Michigan
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This place is in an excellent location in Orange Beach,it is sad that is has deteriorated
so badly recently. Paint peeling off, furnishings outdated and worn out. There was also
an outbreak of bed bugs recently!!! I do not know why anyone would want to stay there
or invest $$ in the place.

• Stayed August 2010
5 Thank dinade
USA
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed in a 3 bdrm/2.5 bath unit on ground floor. With having small children ages 6 and 2, it was great having the pool right outside our door and just a short walk across the boardwalk to the beach. The accommodations were clean and furnished nicely. We had great storage in the kitchen with pantry and cabinets. The units washer and dryer was given a full workout and performed well. The floorplan allowed adults, teens, and young children to have their own spaces to watch tv, relax, eat, etc. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank teres033
Helena, Alabama
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Great location. This is near everything in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores, very clean and spacious rooms. Its right next to the state park, so you have some undeveolped beach area to walk that you won't get in most locations. We invited my brother and nephew to visit us in the 1 BD unit, and my husband and I also had our 2 year old son with us. We own a time share here, so come almost every year.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank BAMA1
Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed October 11, 2008

Property was older, but room were very neat, clean and did not smell being on the beach. I was disappointed in the grounds. The place needed a good landscaping overhaul. Many plants were needed to be replaced and all the others needed a lot of attention. Check in was not convenient due to having to travel a couple of miles to the Escapes to obtain keys to the room. You have to leave a $10. deposit for each key ($20), which starts your vacation feeling like you have been called a thief, or at best dishonest. Then you have to go back to check-out just to turn in the keys and pick up the deposit. I was not informed that check-in was at another property location which delayed the process over on hour. After a couple of calls to find anyone with information, we finally found where to go to check-in. The afternoons were a parade of people with salesmen trying to sell their timeshares, which put you on display if you were trying to relax by the pool. The best part was off the property and on the beach, although don't leave your shoes at the end of the boardwalk; my wife's shoes were stolen. I guess I wasn't the only one felt to have been accused to be a thief, only I didn't pursue the feelings left from the management. Overall the resort was just ok. If the property was kept up as well as the Escapes Resort where you were required to check in/out, maybe some of the other inconveniences would not be as noticeable.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — salesmen
  • Stayed September 2008