“Our Favorite Get-Away!”

The Original Romar House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Orange Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 8, 2010

After seeing a review for this property titled "Creepy", I had to submit my own review. My husband and I have visited the Original Romar House for the first time in 2003. We patiently waited for the re-opening after Ivan, and were thrilled when we found out the property was "open for business". Our last trip was in January of this year and we are planning another visit in the fall. Darryl is one of the most gracious hosts I've ever met. He makes sure our needs are met and completely RESPECTS the fact that couples staying at the house are there typically there for "couple time". You will find him each day completing his daily "chores" around the property but he will take the time to chat, if YOU want to strike up a conversation, never imposing. His breakfasts are wonderful and the "wine & cheese" parties are a great part of each evening. This is a great couples retreat, do not miss out on the atmosphere and hospitality of this wonderful beach gem. We will continue to plan our "get-aways" to the Romar House and highly recommend others to do the same.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Crowell2

Reviewed July 8, 2010

The Original Romar House was exactly what we were looking for - a quiet, romantic getaway with the charm of a historical B&B right on the beach. It was cold and rainy outside, but warm and cozy inside. Darrell's breakfasts are "to die for"! (I'm actually jealous because I consider myself a breakfast wizard. Mine pale in comparison.)

Above all, we found a new friend in Darrell. He made us feel welcomed and at home. He makes this place special. What a kind, knowledgeable and respectable gentleman. It was easy to tell this place is a part of his soul. We asked for a recommendation to eat seafood the first night we got there and he suggested Cobalt, another great find!

We stayed in the Songwriter's room but we looked at the other rooms too. It doesn't matter which room you stay in because they're all very well decorated and immaculate. Incredible stain glass throughout which was the inspiration for stained glass in my house. Unless the Romar House is completely booked, you have to stay here. It is the BEST - Hands Down! Don't miss it! Many thanks to Darrell for making our stay a dream!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roadtrip1309
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I went during the off-season on purpose seeking relaxation and rest and spiritual refurbishment. Was the only person in the B&B and Daryll went out of his way to feed me and leave me alone! Great getaway thanks to him.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank looseluci
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We absolutely loved it, the Southern Comfort Breakfast, the beautiful Gulf view, the great hospitality, by the way thank you for the chocolates and roses for Valentine's Day. My husband and I enjoyed it and we would absolutely love to stay there again. Also if you get up early enough and walk the beach you will be so surprised to see dolphins playing and swimming off the coast, though pretty close to shore, I thought it a gift to see it. A mother dolphin was pushing her baby up out of the water for air. It was amazing.
The atmosphere, the rooms, the hospitality, and the breakfast all wonderful. Thank you Darryll for everything. We will come back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LisCortese
Benton, KY
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My husband and I quit staying in "Hotels" years ago. The B&B experience has always been so much fun. The Original Romar House was no exception. Darrell was wonderful as were the other guests we met during our stay. The food was wonderful, The room was very nice and yes we even liked the walk to the beach.

Ok so for the few of you who complained about the house not being ON the beach, well think about when the house was built and why it has remained for so long.

Shame on the weather. We are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2003
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
metairie louisiana
Reviewed June 7, 2005

I truly miss my favorite little get-away place. My fiance' and I drove from New Orleans a few months after Ivan to see how our favorite little beach house weathered. We were so happy to see it still standing! The brand new pool was full of sand and the downstairs rooms were gutted. But other than that there is faith that it will be restored and for me it want be soon enough! We are getting married June 18,2005 and really would have loved to have gone there for our honeymoon. We have to settle for Cozumel instead! I only hope I can get a room when they finally do reopen. Due to their popularity I'm sure there will be a waiting list! Hope to see you later this summer Darryl!

• Stayed: June 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hueytown, AL
Reviewed October 18, 2004

My husband and I stayed at The Original Romar House B&B for a much-needed rest after our daughter's April wedding a few years ago and we had a wonderful stay. The weather was a bit foggy for a day or two during our visit, but that was okay (a great excuse to go shopping at nearby Pottery Barn and outlet mall!) We enjoyed the house, the hot tub, the wonderful breakfasts, the porch overlooking the gulf, and especially Darrell's afternoon wine and cheese get-togethers with he and other guests. We look forward to staying again in the future and pray the house will be restored to its "Original," or even better, condition since Ivan paid his uninvited visit, and hopefully, with all the beachy ambience of before.

• Stayed: April 1999