“A Beautiful Gem of The Gulf of Mexico tucked away in beautiful Orange Beach, AL.”

The Original Romar House Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Orange Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We absolutely loved it, the Southern Comfort Breakfast, the beautiful Gulf view, the great hospitality, by the way thank you for the chocolates and roses for Valentine's Day. My husband and I enjoyed it and we would absolutely love to stay there again. Also if you get up early enough and walk the beach you will be so surprised to see dolphins playing and swimming off the coast, though pretty close to shore, I thought it a gift to see it. A mother dolphin was pushing her baby up out of the water for air. It was amazing.
The atmosphere, the rooms, the hospitality, and the breakfast all wonderful. Thank you Darryll for everything. We will come back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LisCortese

Benton, KY
Reviewed November 30, 2005

My husband and I quit staying in "Hotels" years ago. The B&B experience has always been so much fun. The Original Romar House was no exception. Darrell was wonderful as were the other guests we met during our stay. The food was wonderful, The room was very nice and yes we even liked the walk to the beach.

Ok so for the few of you who complained about the house not being ON the beach, well think about when the house was built and why it has remained for so long.

Shame on the weather. We are looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2003
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
metairie louisiana
Reviewed June 7, 2005

I truly miss my favorite little get-away place. My fiance' and I drove from New Orleans a few months after Ivan to see how our favorite little beach house weathered. We were so happy to see it still standing! The brand new pool was full of sand and the downstairs rooms were gutted. But other than that there is faith that it will be restored and for me it want be soon enough! We are getting married June 18,2005 and really would have loved to have gone there for our honeymoon. We have to settle for Cozumel instead! I only hope I can get a room when they finally do reopen. Due to their popularity I'm sure there will be a waiting list! Hope to see you later this summer Darryl!

• Stayed: June 2004
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hueytown, AL
Reviewed October 18, 2004

My husband and I stayed at The Original Romar House B&B for a much-needed rest after our daughter's April wedding a few years ago and we had a wonderful stay. The weather was a bit foggy for a day or two during our visit, but that was okay (a great excuse to go shopping at nearby Pottery Barn and outlet mall!) We enjoyed the house, the hot tub, the wonderful breakfasts, the porch overlooking the gulf, and especially Darrell's afternoon wine and cheese get-togethers with he and other guests. We look forward to staying again in the future and pray the house will be restored to its "Original," or even better, condition since Ivan paid his uninvited visit, and hopefully, with all the beachy ambience of before.

• Stayed: April 1999
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Misawa, Japan
Reviewed September 19, 2004

I was so annoyed to read the negative reviews from past patrons that I had to write my own positive one to counteract it. My husband and I have stayed at the Romar House 4 times in the past 7 years. If we didn't live in Japan now (we are teachers) that number would be much higher because we tried to get there at least once a year on our anniversary. Not one time have we had a thing to complain about during our stay. The rooms are charming, Darrell treats every single person special and like they are the only ones in the inn, and the peace and quiet was so relaxing. I guess there are just some people out there who would complain if the sun was shining, so please pay no attention to their reviews. I just checked on The Romar House online because we have been following the path of Hurricane Ivan from overseas, and were worried that the high winds and storm surge may have damaged the house beyond repair. We were thrilled to learn online that Darrell evacuated and is okay but sad to hear that the inn was damaged and will be closed while it is renovated. Thank goodness it will return because we fly fourteen hours home to Mississippi every summer and we plan to return to The Romar House to unwind!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed August 22, 2004

I stayed at the Original Romar House Bed and Breakfast Inn July 4 - July 7. My boyfriend and I had a blast. It was the best vacation either one of us has ever had. The B&B provided such a relaxing, homey atmosphere. Darrell, the innkeeper was so friendly and helpful. From telling exciting stories to making reservations for us at a wonderful restaraunt, he made our vacation perfect! We had wine and cheese in the evenings which gave us a chance to chat with all the other guests of the B&B. There are lots of activities within just a few miles. We went parasailing, on a dolphin Cruise, rented a waverunner, and did plenty of shopping while we were there. We also enjoyed spending time on the private beach in front of the B&B. The rooms of the B&B are like none I have ever seen. They are decorated so beautifully. We spent our first night in the Captain's Quarters, or the "Itty Bitty" room. It was a tiny room with a twin bed, but we didn't mind snuggling. The other two nights, we stayed in the Parrot's Cottage. The cottage has one bedroom, one bathroom, a kitchen, dining room, living room, a private entrance, and private balconies. We can not wait to go back to the Romar House. We even exchanged numbers with another couple we met there, so we can plan to go back at the same time.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed July 10, 2004

We just came back from our second time at the Romar B&B and loved it just as much as the first time and we are already planning our third trip. The house is beautiful with lots of history and charm, I can't imagine going anywhere else for some R&R. You have the wonderful breakfast every morning (prepared by Darrell), you can sit outside under the covered porch overlooking the ocean or you can sit inside and have your breakfast.

I just read a review about the rules which someone did not like such as smoking, 10:00 curfew etc.., there are designated smoking areas which are the purple parrot bar, outside under the covered porch or outside under the covered walk, Darrell locks the door to the outside door from the walk way to your room at ten o'clock but your room key unlocks the door if you happen to come in later, this is for the guests safety.

We found Darrell very accommodating, friendly and has just as much charm as the house itself. Darrell takes care of the guests with TLC and makes sure that they are comfortable and not disturbed by outside interferences. Darrell wants you to feel as comfortable as you would in your own home and he does his best to take care of your every need. The B&B would not be the same without him, Darrell is just as much a part of the house as the beautiful fixtures around the house.

There is a boardwalk to the private beach which is a short distance from the Inn or you can swim in the new heated pool.

A little piece of paradise on the beach!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Best Western On The Beach
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Island House Hotel Orange Beach - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Best Western Premier, The Tides Hotel

Been to The Original Romar House Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!