“MOST DISGUSTING PLACE EVER!!!!!!”

Magnuson Hotel Opelika
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Arley, Alabama
“MOST DISGUSTING PLACE EVER!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Do not stay here!!!! this place is DISGUSTING!!! ive stayed here twice with my dad, the first time in sep 2010 and the room smelled like it had not been opened up in years it had this old nasty smell to it, the mini fridge wouldnt even keep a drink cool and it was loud and made noises all night. the shower was disgusting and shouldve been cleaned years ago! and we seen one of the workers throw a bag of garbage over the fence into the parking lot of the place behind us instead of actually walking to a dumpster and putting it there! Lazy!! unfortunately we had to stay here one more time in Oct 2010 and our LAST only because there was no other place to stay and it was after we left the game, this time we checked in right after the game was over and had done our shoppin ect. it was around 9:30 pm and we had only been there about 30 mins and my dad had found two roaches crawling around, he continued to find many more plus baby roaches in the room & bathroom.this room smelled worse then the first time, and the carpets are VERY dirty i had white socks on and the carpet stained them! the showers are disgusting i couldnt even take a shower. It was so gross but we lived so far away it would be a long drive to have left but we wanted to. So i slept with the covers off the bed thankfully i always take blankets with me and slept on my snuggie and covered up in my own blankets. oh and slept with the lights on all night so no more roaches would come around!! The people who work there are of NO HELP AT ALL...the next morning we are checking out and my dad is pretty pissed about the roaches so he tells the man at the front desk they needed to do something about all the roaches and the guy smiles, nods, and says thank you, he didnt even understand what we were telling him!! they couldnt even speak english!!!! Never Again will we stay here!!! this place is just horrible, it is by far the WORST place i have EVER stayed in...it just needs to be torn down and a newer much nicer place built!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010
2 Thank jekasa2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I paid for an extended stay at this hotel and remained (stupidly). I had housekeeping change my bed linen daily and yet I still have bed bug bites. I showed these to managment and the bugs I killed, but they I acted surprised. Plus, wake up call does not work.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank Gerimino647474
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed July 13, 2010

Just a complete dump. Room stunk and was very dirty. Payed for the room in advance for 3 nights, checked in, looked at the room, talked to front desk and left to find other place to stay. Save the trouble do not go to this dump even if it is for free. It really should be investigated for drugs and then shut down by the board of health!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeffreyt1956
Harriston, VA
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Clean, decent room with micro/fridge and wifi. Breakfast was basic but not bad. Cereal, toast, oranges, coffee, juice.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Reserved on Travelocity for $50 per night, and it was not worth it. We arrived at about 1 am after attending an Auburn football game. The karoke bar was going strong, and the cigarrette smoke oozed through the walls into the hotel lobby. We went to our room and when I opened the door and could not find a light switch, but finally felt my way to a lamp. The first thing we saw was the TV- disconnected and lying on the bed! I went to use the bathroom but had to stop and kill a roach first. It was then we noticed that there was only one towel, but that was no problem because there was no way I was taking a shower in that place. The sheets were stained. Overall just disgusting. When we checked out, we told the girl at the front desk. She apologized for our inconvenience but offered nothing to make up for it. We traveled with two other people who said their room was the same.

The icing on the cake was when we went to our car to leave and someone had vomited on the ground right next to it. What a night!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TSUAGD
USA
Reviewed February 18, 2009

After reading most of the reviews of this place I was worried, but figured that it couldn't possibly be all that bad. I was very mistaken.

First, the rooms had the harsh smell of mold and cheap cleaning agents. Even though I knew the room had been 'cleaned' I was wary of what I touched and where I stepped.

Second, the area was absolutely terrible. The people in the room next to me had a child, which I found to be frightening. This is not a safe place. Clearly not a place for children.

The main office is literally connected to a karaoke bar which is very loud and packed late at night. Some of the other reviews claimed it was loud, and it turns out they were correct. My room was on the opposite end of the grounds, and I was still able to hear the music very loudly.

I pulled into the parking lot late on Friday and Saturday nights. Both nights somebody followed me and my car as I pulled into the spot nearest my room. Both times the person was clearly drunk. I had to leave the parking lot for a few minutes and come back later when the person was gone.

One of the housekeepers was also very rude to me. She had knocked on my door at about 9am and had left, as I was in the room. I left the room so she could clean it, and saw her enter the room. About 30 minutes later I was back into the room and nothing had been cleaned or done. Five minutes after that I received a call from the lady and overheard some VERY strong language from her in regards to cleaning the room. Apparently she was not aware that I had picked up the phone so quickly. She then asked if I wanted the room cleaned. I said yes and she responded by saying she would do it some time later in the day.

I also seem to be having some billing issues with them. I paid when I checked into the hotel, but it seems I've been billed twice, and for two slightly different amounts. I don't know why this is, but when I've called them they told me the manager would have to fix it later. So far, no luck.

I had to save some money, but this clearly wasn't the place to stay. I'd suggest just about any place other than here.

Long story short: AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Melanogaster
marietta,ga
Reviewed May 18, 2008

After booking on hotwire i read these reviews and immeidately called Hotwire. They assured me it had been visited recently May 2008 and it was not bad. We arrived and immediately we could tell there had been improvements and they are still improving.ver the weekend they repainted and totally cleaned he pool area. The room was nice and it appeared to have been renovated recently. I would recommend this for a 2 star traveler. The staff was very nice and with the exception of a wild crowd on Friday night at the lounge we were very satisfied with our stay

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — lounge at night
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)