“Quite an improvement 2008”

Magnuson Hotel Opelika
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed May 18, 2008

After booking on hotwire i read these reviews and immeidately called Hotwire. They assured me it had been visited recently May 2008 and it was not bad. We arrived and immediately we could tell there had been improvements and they are still improving.ver the weekend they repainted and totally cleaned he pool area. The room was nice and it appeared to have been renovated recently. I would recommend this for a 2 star traveler. The staff was very nice and with the exception of a wild crowd on Friday night at the lounge we were very satisfied with our stay

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 28, 2007

I foun teh hotel on hotels.com but I did not book it with them I have nothing against hotels.com they were great if it wasn't for them I would have had no place to stay. The hotel was discusting. I called to check my reservation they did not know who I was, after the day before the lady repeated all my information back to me correctly I recorded it on my cell phone. The man told me he had no reservation and I had already paid and we were leaving the next day. Then I called the next mornig to check and see if the issue was resolved they couldn't find me in the computer again. They were going to do nothing until I got mad. Then when I arrived they charged me again and this time it was $60 more than thew first time. We got back to the hotel room after the game and there was a club in front of this hotel. We heard loud music and fighting until about 3:30 in the morning. So if you would like your vacation to run smoothly please do not stay here.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank AlabamaSweetpea
Reviewed August 16, 2007

This hotel was the absolute most disgusting hotel that I have ever stayed in! This is no exaggeration. We knew when we pulled up that we should have just left, but because my father already paid for his room, we felt like we should just stay. The hotel looks much MUCH different in person than in the pictures. Our room had blood stained sheets!! (obviously, we made them come to change the sheets). I went and bought flip flops to walk around in and shower in because the shower was filthy. The next day, my nieces wanted to swim in the pool (despite the last review, there actually was a pool), but it was locked up. The people who work there are also a bunch of liars. The one person told my dad that the pool was locked and the only person who had the key was at Home Depot. Then I talked to the manager and he told me it was locked because they were cleaning the pool. At this point, I got into an argument with the manager and told him he needed to change his sign with the hours of the pool and also let him know how disgusting his hotel was. Needless to say, we ended up leaving and going to another hotel. This hotel really should get shut down and websites should take this hotel off of their site because a place like this just makes them look bad (which is how my father found the place).

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ka123
Reviewed July 20, 2007

i found this hotel on the triprewards website, i wish i'd had'nt. the pictures are decieving, filthy, no pool to be found, never stay again!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank enspns
Reviewed July 8, 2007

We booked this hotel thru Hotwire so we did not get a chance to read these reviews before we had already paid. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We arrived late on Friday night and found the on premise bar in full swing. Had a difficult time finding a place to park to check in. The hotel blocks off a portion of the parking lot for hotel patrons but you must find an employee and show your room key to gain access. When we entered the room the first thing that hit us was the musty odor. Did not smell clean at all. The carpet was extremely worn and filthy. Just a general feeling of unclean throughout the entire property. The air condtioner in the room quit working in the early morning hours (appeared to freeze up). There were a number of "rough" looking individuals hangin out on the property, not sure if they were living there or not. I would definately not recommend this hotel to a woman traveling by herself!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank etsumomof3
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I arrived at 11:30 pm. and was basically greeted by the police and all of the many people that were partying at the adjoining lodge. I booked two rooms, I was given the best two rooms available by the very sweet and helpful lady that answered the phone. Yet, there were hairs on the toilet, there was a BLOOD stain on my pillow and a crusty stain on my boyfriend's pillow. I sprayed everything with lysol and still felt very uncomfortable. If these were the two best rooms I'd hate to see what wasn't the best.... I took a shower the next morning after getting no sleep from the loud music from the club and the people in the parking lot, I didn't even want to get in the tub! I felt dirty even after I washed! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for any reason, if you are tired and need to pull off the road... SLEEP IN YOUR CAR!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank arij
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My stay was Terrible When I arrived at 130am the police were all over the parking lot and the music at the lounge was very loud.My room was filthy and uninhabitable.the dirt and cobwebs were visible and the mold and mildew was in the coffee pot and in the shower .I brought my own blanket and pillow to sleep on (thank goodness).NO ONE should stay at this hotel it should be closed by the Board of Health. i DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL, SLEEPING IN YOUR CAR WOULD BE SAFER.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family