“Great local food and flaver”
Review of Cock of the Walk

Cock of the Walk
Ranked #18 of 114 Restaurants in Opelika
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Visited Cock of the Walk while on a golf trip. Great southern atmosphere. Friendly staff. Good food. Chicken tenders were dry, but catfish and shrimp were terrific. Peach cobbler with ice cream was a great way to finish off the meal.

1  Thank Dan H
There are newer reviews for Cock of the Walk

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Had dinner with my family last night. It was fabulous! The restaurant was very busy but with the great food, I see why! My children enjoyed feeding the peacocks, turtles and the fish. The atmosphere was wonderful for a family gathering. The food was fresh and delicious. The catfish is the best I have ever had! After the coleslaw, pickled onions and cornbread that was brought to our table we were stuffed!!!! It is a refreshing change from fast and pre-cooked food. Cock of the walk is a must if you have time to enjoy the whole experience!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Food was poor quality. Greens had sugar in them (I'm a southerner but don't mess with my greens). Catfish was poor quality and very salty. Worst coleslaw I had ever tasted, strong cabbage and oily taste. It was also very warm which is why I think it almost sent me to the emergency room! Service was horrible. Had a group of ten or so and that was their explanation for being close to an hour getting our food out. Fried pickles had no taste other than old oil and salt. Sorry but I will not eat here again. I do not see how it gets good reviews except in the south we have large families. LOL

1  Thank Wally12345678
Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

Stopped here on our way home from NOLA. The fried catfish was crispy & seasoned. Actually this fried catfish was better than what I had in New Orleans. Hubby loved his shrimp. We had baked sweet potatoes that looked liked they had come straight out of the hot oven and tasted as if they had been picked out of the field. Loved the cornbread that came in a hot black skillet! The decor of this place took me back to the days when I visited my grandparents in the country as a child. We had a wonderful experience & an excellent server (Megan)! As we were walking to the car, I saw the peaCOCK. This is a great place for families with small children. If you decide to go, be sure to check the serving time. This one opens at 4.

1  Thank Peachymom2
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The seafood is outstanding. I love the catfish and grilled shrimp. They have excellent cornbread and pickled onion too. Large servings. One can
watch the adult and baby ducks march to the lake in a line-cute,cute!