Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I attended a work related sales seminar at this hotel. I only spent one night there but it was absolute heaven on earth. The hotel is very private and secluded with some of the most beautiful grounds of any Marriott I've stayed in. Of course this is probably due to the golf course but it is extremely well kept. The rooms are luxurious, just like the picture on the website. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever experienced and I have stayed in my share of hotels over the years. Each double bed had 4 pillows (2 soft, 2 firm) as well as one of the roll type pillows, The bath has a separate tub and shower and was well stocked with lots of linens as well as bath products from Bath and Body Works, good stuff!

I had to share the room with a fellow employee but we had plenty of room to shower and dress without getting in each others' way which is nice, especially since we were two women trying to do makeup and hair, etc. We had access to high speed internet as well as unlimited long distance with their business package which was a reasonable $9.99 per day. Being able to conduct business while there was really an asset for me. I was able to keep in touch with my home office and my customers with ease. The desk was quite large with plenty of room for my laptop and paperwork. It even had a lamp with a built in electrical outlet. This came in handy with both of us having cell phones, Blackberries, etc. to be charged. There is also a business center for those who don't travel with a laptop located just off the main lobby. They have computers, a fax machine and copier available.

I didn't use the pool but it was really nice. I did check out the locker room while in search of a restroom, also nice. There is a workout room which I didn't have time to use, and a small gift shop. I did try the restaurant. The menu is a little pricey but the food is excellent, good choice of wines, really nice atmosphere.

I whole heartedly recommend this hotel if you are anywhere in the area, or just for a special get-a-way weekend. I'm not sure how long this hotel has been open but everything looks shiny and new. The staff seems to take much pride in their jobs and the hotel, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Did I mention the bed????? To die for!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank BamaLover

Reviewed March 9, 2007

Stayed for 4 nights. Service from the staff was the best in a while, everyone I passed smiled, made eye contact, asked how the stay was going and if I needed anything. Be prepared not to rush during your stay, as the property is spread out and is most relaxing. All the rooms overlook the golf course, pro shop is almost a mile away, nice walk over, while deer and wild turkey frequent the green areas at dusk and dawn. No down town traffic or noise, rooms in excellent shape, beds very comfortable and meals a delight. If you have business in the Columbus, GA area, this hotel is the biggest bang for it's bucks, excellent government rate and only a 45 minute drive.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank chester6212
Reviewed October 13, 2006

This was our first stay at the Auburn Marriott Opelike at Grand National located just 9 miles from Auburn University. We were thrilled with our choice! First of all, we appreciate Marriott allowing us not to have to book a two night minimum stay for an Auburn football weekend, nor did we have to sign a contract or prepay in full like many of the other hotels in the area require on such a weekend. We were there solely to visit our son at Auburn University, watch him play rugby for Auburn, and attend a football game. Next time we will definitely take the time to play a round or two of golf at this spectacular course. The hotel/resort is wonderful in all aspects. A very helpful and friendly staff not only gave us great directions to navigate us to this secluded property, but they greeted us with smiles & homemade cookies upon arrival. It was a bit of a walk from the reception area to our room due to the hotel being very spread out. Once we arrived at our door our keys didn't work and we had to hoof it back to reception and get our keys reprogramed. I can't say this is the first time this has ever happened... maybe it's just us! The problem was quickly resolved and we were soon on our way back to our room. We were delighted when we stepped into our King Deluxe room which featured European quality linens, feather pillows as I requested when I made the reservation, a balcony with comfortable seating for two overlooking the lush grounds, golf course, lake, and fountain, a spacious bathroom with oversized tub and roomy shower. No need to order breakfast... there were complimentary assorted breakfast pastries, coffee, juice, etc... offered in the grand lobby. Our biggest shock was the restaurant... 'The Lakeview Room'. My family and I were a bit skeptical when we arrived for dinner and we were one of two tables dining at 8pm on a Saturday night. We thought there is no way with the restaurant not being very busy that our meals would be par at best. Were we pleasantly surprised! My son and his girlfriend wanted hamburgers that were not offered on the fine dining menu. The waitress most willingly inquired with the manager and their request was granted without a question. We all started with the Caesar Salad and it was as if it was prepared tableside with fresh ingredients, definitely not bottled dressing. I ordered the pork tender and even asked to substitute the mashed cauliflower for the sweet potato/blue cheese wedge. With a smile, our waitress said that could be done. My husband ordered a filet of beef with a baked potato. I've never seen a potato quite as grand in size as this one. Every accompaniment you could think of came with it on the side and beautifully presented...just as he ordered and baked to perfection. My meal was fab as well, especially the sweet potato blue cheese wedge, and my husband said his filet was one of the best he has ordered. We travel around the world and eat in fine restaurants quite often and I can't believe I would have ever said this about a hotel restaurant, literally in the middle of a wooded area in Alabama... but this was one of the best meals we have been served in quite sometime. I'm not sure who the chef is... but they are very creative and above par! After dinner on this chilly October evening we sat outside by the roaring firepit, sipped on a glass of wine and gazed at the full moon. We truly look forward to our next stay. War Eagle!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TexasJewels
Reviewed March 8, 2005

I enjoyed staying here last week, while speaking at a conference. It is a quick drive from Atlanta. What a retreat! The facilities are beautiful and the location is so quiet but near to a new shopping center with several restaurants etc. I had a perfect stay and the staff at the convention center were the best! I ate in the restaurant and ordered room service...both were just fine. I have been in 42 states and Canada and stay about 80 nights per year away from home.
Wish I had this quaility in all of my overnight locations. I am not a golfer but know this would be a wonderful place to be on a sunny day!

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mobile, AL
Reviewed August 27, 2004

The price can't be beat (unless Auburn has a home football game).

We enjoyed everything about this. I had business in nearby Columbus, GA and the 30 minute drive was easy.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 14, 2004

This is a great hotel. Service was terrific, the staff is pleasant and goes out of their way to help. The Grand National Lake course on Saughahatchee Lake was a beautiful and amazing golf course. All golf buffs like me should make a pilgrimage to this course not only to enjoy 18 holes but a few nights in the exquisite presidential suite. I'll definitely be back next year.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brundidge, AL
Reviewed March 4, 2004

We found the Lodge somewhat accidentally when needing a place to stay visiting our daughter, a student at Auburn University. Now, we look for weekend opportunities to stay at the Lodge because we find it to be peaceful and calming after a long, hard week at work.

The facilities are wonderful, the view is beautiful, and the staff are friendly and accomodating. Even after our daughter graduates from Auburn, I can certainly see us continuing to visit the Lodge.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Price Range: $125 - $279 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Travelocity, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika