“lavish and deserving of it's reputation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Opelika
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“lavish and deserving of it's reputation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

Attended a reunion at this Marriott and was very impressed with every aspect...from the ease of check in to the beautiful pool and surrounding golf course. Did not have time to use these facilities but I can see where this could be an amazing destination getaway. What I liked best? The bathroom had a very nice bathtub AND a separate shower that could easily hold three people. Super clean and with all the amenities expected of a 5 star hotel, this is easily one of the best places I've stayed in over my 50 years.

Room Tip: No advice...We had a room on the third floor on the back of the building but any room I'm sure w...
Green Features: Glad to see these practices are part of the experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay P, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. I know that our entire staff will be happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. Please come back to visit again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Ruskin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2014

I recently attended a conference at this property. The grounds are very nice, great setting back in the woods. The hotel itself is attractive and well kept with an open and welcoming lobby. The front desk staff was very open, friendly and helpful. The disappointment came with the room. I registered for my function late and had to take a "junior suite" at an increased rate, which was my fault. When I got to my room I was a bit surprised, the room looked dated, was poorly decorated with plain furniture. To be fair the room was large, very large and was very clean as was the bathroom. There was a balcony with an ashtray which was a plus for me as a smoker. The high point of my stay was the food, it was very good. There were buffets for the attendees and the food was varied and tasty and the wait staff was very attentive. The meeting room was large with good acoustics, just kept a little to cold. All in all my stay was average to good but with a nicer room it could have been very good.

Room Tip: All the rooms have balcony's and face the same direction.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the review. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay. We do have plans for some upgrades to our guest rooms within the next year. This year, we did add the new refrigerators and the granite counters that you had in your room. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again and experience more upgrades.
Richmond, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for an annual golf trip. We previously stayed off the property at another hotel, but decided to stay here this year. The room was no different from other similar hotel chains (that offer a free breakfast). The bathroom as a little nicer since it had a separate tub and shower.

The biggest advantage for this hotel for us was the distance to the golf course. It was about 1 mile from the clubhouse, but you could also get a free shuttle if you wanted. The second cool thing about the hotel were the jelly beans at the front desk. It was nice to grab a handful upon entering the hotel each time. The pool looked very nice, but we never used it.

I guess the biggest disadvantage was the lack of a free breakfast. The price per night for this hotel was much greater than similar hotels, but did not offer a free breakfast like the others do. When staying with 4 or more people, the cost of their breakfast can rise to over $40 making the hotel bill twice as much as similar chains.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay P, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your golf trip. I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your trip. Hopefully, you will be able to use the pool on your next trip. It is definitley fabulous.
It's true that we do not offer a free breakfast, but our breakfast is quite extensive and has many more offerings than those brands that offer a free breakfast. I hope you were able to have breakfast with us. It is delicious and our Executive Chef takes great pride in presenting a quality product.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Have to say this is one of best resorts I have been to in some time. Hotel staff is great, grounds are clean and the entire property has something for everyone! The pool is something else, my 3yr old stayed out there from 9am until 5pm and didnt want to leave! The golf course on just off the property is part of the Robert Trent Jones Trail and is some of the best golf in the country. Will be going back soon!! It is in Auburn, but ROLL TIDE!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay P, General Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip to Auburn. This is a great time of year to visit us. You're absolutely right about the pool. Every kid (and adult) loves it!!!
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

Kudos to the lovely night manager that checked us in and took perfect care of us. I'm sorry I can't remember her name. After a long day of preparing the boys new home while they are at AU, our clerk gladly got us more towels and sundries. She was a wealth of information.
The only drawback was our waitress at the breakfast. It was $60 for the 4 of us. We had to run her down for refills and wait for up 5 mins to return. The restaurant was not crowded. Also had to ask for my $40 in change. She didn't offer to give it to me. I tipped her 10% for her lack luster service. Other than the sorry waitress everything was perfect.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay P, Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I'm so glad that you were taken care of so well by our front desk staff. I apologize for the problems that you experienced at breafast. We will address that situation and make the necessary corrections. Your comments are a great help to us and very appreciated.
Madison
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

Rather than stay in Columbus I decided to take the short drive to Opelika. Loved the self parking and automatic door for the entrance. Great for wheelchair access. Front Desk check in was smooth and I loved the view of the pool and Tennis Court area. Ask for this if you can. I ordered in room dining as it is a bit far from the interstate dining options. However the kids meal sizes were equivalent to an adults size (European size) so it was more than ample for me and my child. Would definitely stay here again if in the Auburn/Opelika/Columbus area..

Room Tip: Overlook pool area.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the review. We are a great alternative to staying in Columbus. We're only about 45 minutes away and provide a completely different experience than the hotels in Columbus. Please stay with us again the next time you're in our area.
Americus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came for a long weekend of golf and relaxing. Great hotel and the most courteous staff. The room was very clean and was modern. The grounds are immaculate. All rooms have a pool view and balcony. The RTJ golf courses are beautiful. Great pool area for the kids as well as tennis. I would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends. We will be coming back!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. This is the perfect time of year to visit us. As you mentioned, the pool is fabulous and the golf courses are all in great shape.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 17 in Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Property: Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, we are an exceptional golf and business retreat located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary Auburn, Alabama, hotels and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love the swimming pools, fitness center and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com and Travelocity so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika