Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My son and I just returned from an overnight stay at the Marriott in Opelika, Alabama. The property is beautiful and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean, spacious, and very nice. The bathroom was large with a seperate shower and tub and had lots of towels. Our room had two queen size beds and they were extremely comfortable. Overall, it was a great stay and I can't think of anything that would have made it better.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed April 17, 2008

Took a three day golf trip and found the golf courses, lake & link , in great shape. Pace of play was great. Good food and drink in the clubhouse between 18's as well. The Marriott was very nice with comfortable beds. The only downfall was after 36 holes we were looking forward to the hot tub but it was in repair.
Cool 9 hole putting course in front of the hotel was fun to settle some bets.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights in September. I was in town for a meeting and stayed over for an Auburn football game. There is a huge difference in rates from a Thursday night & Friday/Saturday night when it is a game weekend (expect to pay $60-$100/night more on weekend). This is going to be the norm for all hotels in the area.

This is the perfect place to stay in the area if you are:
1. Looking for quiet hotel
2. Planning on playing golf at the nearby course.

The hotel sits right next to the course & is less than a mile down the road from the clubhouse. They have a shuttle from the hotel to the course. The lobby and staff are excellent with free coffee/juice/muffins in the morning. The beds were also very comfortable and the hotel bar and outdoor area were very relaxing.

The only negative I had about this place was the location from the university. Its not a bad drive, but if you want to go out & hit the bars near Auburn - the drive back would be a concern vs. walking somewhere. Other than the golf course, there is nothing close by and will require you to drive about 7-10 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank kingsmc46
Reviewed December 24, 2007

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding and found that it was not on par with the usual Marriott. If this hotel were in an area among its major rivals, this hotel would barely receive a "neutral rating." However, because it is in a small town and there are no major competitors near it, the hotel takes advantage of its ability to rest on its name brand while ignoring what has made the Marriott name great.

THE BAD

MISLEADING DESCRIPTION OF ROOMS

The hotel has three classes of rooms. However, nowhere on its website does it explain this. It has regular, junior suits, and Presidential suits. However, nothing on the website explains that the "junior" and presidential suits are not the same. Therefore, you can book a "suit" but arrive at the hotel and receive only a junior suit. The junior suit is pictured in the pics I have provided with this review.

THE BEDS ARE HARD

The website says that the rooms have new Marriott beds. Well, if they are new, I would hate to see what the old ones were like. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. Moreover, although they do have down pillows, the pillows are very small. One note though, the bed is an ACTUAL KING size bed, which was a benefit.

POOR HOUSEKEEPING

When we arrived, my decided she wanted to use the garden tub. However, the black
“stuff” in the tub had a different idea. In other words, the housekeeping failed to properly clean the bathroom.

THE GOOD

THE STAFF.

The ENTIRE staff was top notch and A+++. Everyone always greeted with a smile and hello and everyone was always willing to help or answer any questions I had. Therefore, tip well because they earn it!

THE BREAKFAST BUFFET

Everyday there is a wonderful breakfast buffet. It is roughly $14 per person but is worth the price. The buffet includes GREAT bacon, cheese and regular grits, an omelet and waffle station, fresh fruit, unlimited refills on juices, and some of the best seasoned potatoes I ever tasted.

THE OTHER LITTLE GREAT THINGS.

There is a little gift shop near the check in desk; there is also a little business center and game room as well. (They are both separate) The entire hotel is wired for internet access and in the business center, you can use the computers and printers for free. In addition, the food other than the breakfast buffet was great as well.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE.

Overall, I would stay here again if I had to return to the area because there are not other hotels like it in the area, although I would celebrate the arrival of a Hyatt, Omni, or Wyndham in the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Dolamyt
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Sorry I'm a little late getting around to this report. My husband and I stayed at the Marriott for two nights Sept. 7th & 8th. We’ve stayed at many other hotels in the area and this is the only one that could be considered a “resort”. It is located on the Robert Trent Jones golf course and the setting is beautiful. If you are a golfer, I would imagine this would be your favorite hotel in the Auburn/Opelika area. It has a decent size swimming pool, along with a full service restaurant and bar. However, if the purpose of your visit is for any events related to Auburn University, it could not be considered one of the most convenient hotels. It is located in nearby Opelika and even once you make the turn off Hwy 280, it is another 3 1/2 miles down a country road before you finally arrive at the hotel (seems longer…we had friends who remarked the same thing!).
The entrance to the hotel is beautiful and the grounds are very well manicured. There is ample parking or you can choose valet. The lobby has a lodge feel to it with high wood ceilings. I was disappointed that, compared with the other Auburn/Opelika hotels we’ve stayed at in the area, including the Auburn Hotel and Conference Center, the Sleep Inn, and the Hilton, we were not greeted with the typical “southern hospitality”. There were two young ladies working the front desk, and neither of them bothered to look up from what they were doing to smile or say “I’ll be right with you”. However, once they decided to help us, they were efficient and our room was ready and as requested. Our room was on the first floor with a view of the golf course. It was meticulously clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was the nicest of any I’ve seen in the area. It was very large and had a tub and separate spacious glass enclosed shower.
The only time we visited the restaurant was for breakfast. They had a breakfast buffet with an omelet station or you could order off the menu. Being an Auburn home game weekend, the hotel was totally booked and unfortunately I think everyone must have decided to eat at the same time! We had to wait a little while for a table and they had a hard time keeping the food replenished. But as I said, I think this was because so many people showed up at one time. Food quality was just “okay”.
Overall, I would stay here again but not while there for a university related event due to the distance. However, I would recommend it to anyone who wanted a golfing getaway as the course looked beautiful!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank phw0923
Reviewed June 14, 2007

I attended a work related sales seminar at this hotel. I only spent one night there but it was absolute heaven on earth. The hotel is very private and secluded with some of the most beautiful grounds of any Marriott I've stayed in. Of course this is probably due to the golf course but it is extremely well kept. The rooms are luxurious, just like the picture on the website. The beds are the most comfortable I've ever experienced and I have stayed in my share of hotels over the years. Each double bed had 4 pillows (2 soft, 2 firm) as well as one of the roll type pillows, The bath has a separate tub and shower and was well stocked with lots of linens as well as bath products from Bath and Body Works, good stuff!

I had to share the room with a fellow employee but we had plenty of room to shower and dress without getting in each others' way which is nice, especially since we were two women trying to do makeup and hair, etc. We had access to high speed internet as well as unlimited long distance with their business package which was a reasonable $9.99 per day. Being able to conduct business while there was really an asset for me. I was able to keep in touch with my home office and my customers with ease. The desk was quite large with plenty of room for my laptop and paperwork. It even had a lamp with a built in electrical outlet. This came in handy with both of us having cell phones, Blackberries, etc. to be charged. There is also a business center for those who don't travel with a laptop located just off the main lobby. They have computers, a fax machine and copier available.

I didn't use the pool but it was really nice. I did check out the locker room while in search of a restroom, also nice. There is a workout room which I didn't have time to use, and a small gift shop. I did try the restaurant. The menu is a little pricey but the food is excellent, good choice of wines, really nice atmosphere.

I whole heartedly recommend this hotel if you are anywhere in the area, or just for a special get-a-way weekend. I'm not sure how long this hotel has been open but everything looks shiny and new. The staff seems to take much pride in their jobs and the hotel, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Did I mention the bed????? To die for!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank BamaLover
Reviewed March 9, 2007

Stayed for 4 nights. Service from the staff was the best in a while, everyone I passed smiled, made eye contact, asked how the stay was going and if I needed anything. Be prepared not to rush during your stay, as the property is spread out and is most relaxing. All the rooms overlook the golf course, pro shop is almost a mile away, nice walk over, while deer and wild turkey frequent the green areas at dusk and dawn. No down town traffic or noise, rooms in excellent shape, beds very comfortable and meals a delight. If you have business in the Columbus, GA area, this hotel is the biggest bang for it's bucks, excellent government rate and only a 45 minute drive.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank chester6212
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Best Western Auburn/Opelika Inn
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Price Range: $133 - $335 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika