Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“Are You kidding ME!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Marriott, one of the best names in the Hotel Business, someone needs to go and straiten out this place. I was on a golf trip with seven other guys for the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, we stayed at three Marriott hotels which I will also review separately, both of the others are true Marriott Hotels with high standards.
It seems to be run by college students which is not all bad if they had some training and had a clue about what they should be doing, but they did not. the outside bar had six kids operating a six seat bar and service to the pool area. I felt sorry for them they were running around and had no clue what to do, manager never saw one.
the same thing was true in the restaurant, what a mess, if it were not for the kitchen staff as the food was very good it would have been a nightmare.
When I inquired about how bad it was from some of the staff they said the Food AND Beverage manager was in the hospital, when I asked how it was when she was here they said it was "THE SAME", no training and guest always complaining.
Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Richard K
Jay P, Manager at Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
I'm sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. Since your visit, we have added additional staff - including supervisory staff for our restaurant and pool bar. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again. We do have a large student population in our area and we think they are great employees. With the additional supervisors that we have hired, guest satisfaction scores have been much improved.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Eustis, Florida
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for 2 reasons - one was so my hubby could play golf on our way to the Masters (everybody in the hotel was doing the same thing) and the other was so we could check out the neighborhood in hopes of retiring here one day. *Note: the amenities at the Marriott are shared with homeowners in Natl Village. It was wonderful! We had a nice room with a view of the golf course, a comfy bed and a decent price. Chip, our Bellboy was very helpful and George at the front desk was great! The only local knowledge you need if you stay is that (at least in our room) the hot water in the shower takes an incredibly long time to start - I mean, so long you give up and then it eventually starts warming up. My suggestion would be to let it run for 5 minutes or so, that's probably how long it took. It's no problem if you know what to expect. Other than that, everything was wondrful, I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
So glad that you enjoyed your stay. Would love to have you back one day as a National Village resident. There are some beautiful homes here. The water should not take long to warm up. Since that occured, there must have been a problem in your particular room. Please report any issues like this that occur at the time, so we can correct them immediately. We do seem to have a lot of guests that come through around the Master's each year. I hope we see you again next year or sooner.
Enterprise, Al
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Recently stayed at this resort and although the staff was outstanding I can't say the same about the hotel and what appears to be lack of management.
Whenever we travel, Marriott is always our first choice, so we are familiar with their properties.
Hotel: Ready for a "facelift". Wear and tear starting to show throughtout hotel and corridors starting to get the "musky" smell. Only one elevator in our wing and EXTREMELY slow.
Employees: Super, always friendly and did their best to make us feel most welcome... one exception, had lunch in the on premesis restaurant and ordered a beer. Server put glass on the table and began to pour beer. Didn't stop until glass full, oops, guess what? Beer foamed up and half spilled onto table. Comments from server, "I guess you only get half a beer" (charged for full, lol), also "I guess your table will smell like beer now". But hey at least she had a great attitude!
Management: Although there was no one BIG thing there was "a comedy of errors" that made this stay, less than desirable and would definitely make me think twice before staying here again.
Examples: First morning there we went to a conference and after 3 hours had to return to room to retrieve some items. When I got to the room I noticed that the deadbolt was out and door not secured. There was no housekeeping to be seen. Everything in room thankfully seemed okay. Went to front desk to report this and was told "oh, we don't know how it work's but sometimes that happens when you leave so you won't lock yourself out of the room". Sometimes? ...and we weren't told of this at check-in, so we could make sure our room isn't left unsecured for hours on end? And you don't know how it works? Management needs to do a better job training their employees.
First night it was cold and rainy, no one out obviously, but when we looked out our window, we were able to see all the outdoor firepits and heaters going, how nice. However the next night when we were siiting outside and asked for heaters, we were given one (large group, needed several) we were told they ran put of propane. They also ran out of numerous foods on the menu and then when we did finally order something it took a very long time to get it (were told the cook went home and had to get bartender to cook for us).
Just not the Marriott we are used to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I'm sorry that there were some issues with your stay. We try very hard to make sure every guest has a great experience. The door lock issue that you had is not typical and should have been reported immediately to maintenance to fix. I hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again. Please feel free to contact me directly at any time with your concerns.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the property over an evening. The property is very quiet secluded within a golf resort. As with most Marriotts, the facility was first class. The rooms were clean, the lobby spacious and the staff very nice. Though I didn't get to enjoy the outside of the property while I was there, the pool and outside pavilion looked very neat and convenient. I would certainly stay here again when my trip was not so quick.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and for your review. Come back when you can enjoy all of our great outdoor amenities.
Georgetown, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our group of 10 golfers stayed at Grand National this week and were very impressed with the entire property. Everything about the hotel exceeded expectations. Check in was fast and friendly. The rooms large and very comfortable. The new pool complex is amazing - too cold last week for anything but the hot tub - but it looked like fun. Excellent tennis courts, fitness rooms, walking trails, even complimentary bicycles to tour the huge property. The hotel is just down the road from the Robert Trent Jones Trail at Grand National which features two fantastic tracks consistently ranked in the top 10 in the state, plus a great 18 hole par 3 course. RTJ Trail is known for friendly service and Grand National is no exception. We ate dinner at the restaurant bar after a long day on the course and were very pleased with the service and the food. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'll agree this place has great accomodations but it is a bit of a drive to get to "civilization". I stayed here for business and literally think I may have been the only person in the hotel the first of two nights I was there. I ordered room service both nights and the service was good, the food came quickly, and wasn't too bad either. You probably won't feel like going out to find somewhere for dinner so I think room service is the best bet and the prices weren't outrageous. I didn't get to take advantage of most of the amenities here but it's very pretty and classic. Also especially quiet which I mentioned during the week which is nice if you;re traveling for business.

The one issue I did have was that my bathtub (seperate from shower) was kind of dusty and dirty and no one was available to come clean it for me. I took care of it but it would have been nice if it had been ready to use and didn't require me using my emergency travel lysol and hot water before use. Oh and it takes a while to gethot water in the bathroom overall but does get very hot eventually.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reidville, SC
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We traveled to Auburn for the annual spring football game, A-Day, this year for the added purpose of it being the last time that we would be able to partake in the most Auburn of traditions, rolling the trees at Tumor's Corner. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were pleasantly surprised with the property, as the website photography showed the interior to be somewhat dated in some areas. There were fresh, warm cookies at the counter, which the children loved. As I am a Gold Elite member, my Wi-Fi access was complementary, as well as receiving breakfast vouchers for each morning of our stay.
The guest room was standard, two queen beds, with very comfortable mattresses, a larger bathroom with a separate tub and stall shower. One big plus for this hotel is that every room has a view of the back of the property, which includes a very nice pool/outdoor lounge area, tennis courts, and the lake in the background. The only drawback to the room was the climate controls. We typically like to keep things on the cool side, and even with the thermostat set to 65 F, the room still stayed warmer than we desired. It was not at all uncomfortable though, a minor inconvenience. The ambient noise was minimal, even with a high school prom being held on property.
We took the children to the indoor pool on that Friday evening, after returning from Auburn. The pool area was comfortable and the water temperature was perfect. There was the typical odor of chlorine in the air that comes from an indoor pool, but it was not overwhelming, as I have experienced at other hotels.
Breakfast was good, with all the usual offerings one would expect: eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, grits, etc. There is also an omelet station, staffed by a very friendly cook, who will also make you a waffle or pancakes upon request. There is also the usual assortment of cereal and breads, as well as an a-la-cart menu.
We took advantage of a beautiful Alabama Saturday evening to take the kids to the outdoor pool and relax for a bit, before it got too chilly. The water was ice-cold, but the kids loved it anyway. The central feature of the outdoor pool is the rocky waterfall/slide/grotto combination. I am sure that during the summer, this will be very enjoyable for all. The pool area also has an adult section that has a pool with seating to enjoy adult beverages from the poolside bar, and a hot tub. Additionally, in the outdoor lounge, there are two fire pits, comfortable seating, and a poolside menu is available. The outdoor area is very well designed.
Some other highlights: great coffee is available in the lobby most of the day, as well as other refreshments. Also, a continental breakfast is setup in the lobby each morning, with the usual pastries and such. Each room has a balcony with plenty of room to relax. The bar/lounge is comfortable and has a great menu, which can also be ordered for carry-out instead of room service. We tried a number of items and we were pleased with everything.
Overall, this is a great property, the staff is accommodating and friendly, and the quality for the price is spot-on. We will be returning on future visits to Auburn.

War Eagle!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 17 in Auburn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Property: Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika