Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
illinois
“Horrible Service”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Coffee was empty in lobby and nobody seemed to care. I needed two spoons for the cereal I purchased in gift shop, but no spoons. Gal seemed helpless to solve it. So I went to resteraunt downstairs. Place was a disaster. Understaffed or just slow help. Waited for ten minutes and nobody would help me. I finally just left frustrated. Nice place facility wise, one star service at best. Seems that management is absent or clueless. Not sure if I will come back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pruedi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I am terribly unsatisfied with the hotel. My grandmother was staying here for my wedding in September. She brought her best jewelry for the wedding day. Upon arrival she unpacked and joined the family down stairs for dinner. After Dinner she went back upstairs to sleep for the night and all her jewelry was stolen! She informed the hotel but they could do nothing to help. Don't bring your valuables here because you might not see them again. Proceeded with caution.

• Stayed September 2012
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night in mid December for work. It is a very beautiful property. It was pratically empty as it was a Monday night in mid December, so it was very quiet and relaxing. Our room over looked the pool area, which is very pretty!

Room Tip: We were on the ground level that over looked the pool. It was very quiet in December while we were t...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Buhl, AL
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This Marriott did not disappoint! My husband and I were in town for my eye surgery and a one night stay. On the way into to Auburn for my appointment, we stopped to see if early check in would be possible. Auburn University was hosting the Super 6 State Championships and we also noticed some cap and gown pictures being made....so needless to say the little town of Auburn was packed. The hotel was housing one of the football teams and we didn't think we would get early check in but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Talked with Stephanie at the front desk and she told us she would be happy to see what she could do, but they were at full capacity. After my surgery we called and the gentleman at the front desk (sorry, I didn't get your name) informed us that Stephanie had left but she had taken care of us and our room was ready. This may seem small to some people, but I am THRILLED when someone goes out of their way with excellent customer service skills (I just don't see this very often)!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

This Marriott sits in a beautiful wooded area in Opelika, AL and next to the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. The grounds are well manicured and the lobby is designed to fit the decor of the woodland area. The staff was very welcoming. Lots of easy parking. I was impressed with the fixtures, trim and decor of the public areas of the hotel. There is a rustic quaintness even in the bar and restaurant. I enjoyed my stay and would return. But I'm not sure what this resort wants to be when it grows up. With such luxury in the lobby and atrium areas, the hallways to the rooms were under decorated which allows your eye to focus on the countless scratches on the walls and room doors. The same was true in my room. Actually, my first room assignment had the overwhelming odor of mold and wet rags. The front desk was very apologetic and moved me to a better room. The new room was wonderful and fresh. But again, scratched up. The decor was elegant but different than the lobby area. Maybe the lobby had been remodeled. The view is out to the pool area which was beautifully landscaped and had a outdoor bar/grill that was closed for winter. There was also a massive childrens play area with a water slide and fun water features. Again, these just didn't match the elegant rustic upscale golf resort which is your first impression when you check in. The food in the restaurant and bar was very good. Lot's of nice choices. The bartender took advantage of it being slow and spent most of his time sending text messages and talking to the waitresses. He did tell me at one point they had gotten a new coach. I just smiled and said that's nice. Was it for his adult basketball league, his kids school. No clue since I don't live in the area. He continued to joyfully tell me about all the other coaches "they" had looked at but decided on this one. I finally figured out he was talking about Auburn. Great but an odd conversation. Like he didn't understand that people from around the country will be staying at this hotel who do not track every single college football program in the country. I'm delighted he has something to look foward to next season.

My room was nice. The bathroom was very upscale but didn't have any towel holders or hooks for your bath towel. My hairdryer didn't work but the front desk quickly brought me another one.The beds are very comfortable, so are the pillows. The TV's are like 32" flat screens and hard to see because of the size of the room. Most of the Courtyards have 42" screens.

Get a room with a balcony and enjoy the beautiful view.I thank the staff for all their great service.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony so you can enjoy the view out to the pool and wooded area. It's so pea...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our family of 4 stayed here one night after an Auburn football game and were pleasantly surprised! The rooms were very roomy and the resort seemed like it was brand new. The pool area was fabulous and at night there were many families hanging out around the pool area bar and fire pit tables. The staff was very friendly. As other reviewers pointed out, the resort is pretty remote from Auburn and Opelika, but like most Marriotts, there is a shuttle. The food in the restaurant was just okay--typical hotel food that was over-priced. Overall, because of the wonderful family atmosphere and terrific rooms, we will be staying again for future games.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Excellent rooms and service, great weekend resort for golf or just relaxing. Nice for a football weekend and a great outdoor area for hiking and biking. Convenient to Auburn campus and downtown area plus historic Opelika worth a visit for browsing and trying some of the restaurants

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Towneplace Suites by Marriott Auburn

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Property: Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika