Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I am used to staying at Marriott Hotels around the world but since this hotel is located so far from any major city I wasn't expecting such a world class hotel. The hotel looks brand new and the grounds are being renovated! The hotel includes a convention center along with a very large pool that seems to have everything for the kids and there is a bar just outside the pool gates for Mom & Dad. The room I had over looked the 14th hotel on the golf course as well as the lake (not going to try and spell the Indian name for the lake). Was not a great looking lake but the golf course looked first class. The rooms are typical high class Marriott. My room had a king bed with a desk, free wifi, a big screen TV (which I never had time to watch). The best feature in the room was the very nice bathroom with a separate shower and tub.

The hotel is about 10 miles from downtown Auburn and besides the bar and the main restaurant, there is not much around the hotel for miles for food. There is a small shop at the hotel that sells snacks and soft drinks. Plan ahead if you want food other than hotel food or plan on a good drive to find other food.

If I am back in the area, I would definitely stay here again. Very nice hotel!

Room Tip: Get a view of the golf course
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Adults enjoyed the splash pool as much as the kids. At night the lights come on and the fog show starts and everyone comes back for more fun. We had lunch and dinner by the pool due to private cabanas with ceiling fans, who needed to leave? Do visit this wonderful resort. The room was huge, the food we had was great, and all of the employees were friendly and always asking if you needed anything The beds were great and the room was spotless.Add a spa and it would be perfect! My family from the area was so impressed they are thinking of a weekend retreat! Don't miss this place, wonderful staff!!

Room Tip: All rooms have great view. The junior suite is huge!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank chmx2
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My two teens and I stayed at this hotel for a golf outing weekend. This is our second time here in two years and the upgrades they have made to the outdoor pool area make this Hotel much more satisfying than the past stay. They have added a nice resort style pool with waterfalls and slide, an outdoor bar with several large screen TV's and have a nice patio area for evening entertainment such as a guitarist (this was the entertainment while we were there). Rooms are typical of the Mid-level Marriott brand and bathroom was a bit nicer than average. They have full service food options, but we never ate at the hotel. Overall, probably as nice a hotel in the area, and for the resort type amenities, I would stay there again without question.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2012

If the Auburn Hotel is booked, then stay here. Up to Marriott's normal standards. The breakfast package is well worth it as you have a choice of buffet or ala carte. I have been here twice and was not disappointed.

Room Tip: Get a room inside the main hotel if traveling in August. The outer rooms are motel like walking dir...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Grand National for a wedding in the area. It was a comfortable room and the resort is nice with a view of the water and a view of the great water park they are building. When they finish that, it will be fantastic. This is the 2nd time we stayed here and will return.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Once a year I need to be in Auburn, there are plenty of places to stay, but this is tops. You don't have to be here for golf, although most guests are.

Rooms great and clean, family of 5 suited fine.

Some room rates include breakfast, I ate with one of my daughters at a different time than the other two with their Mother, no issue. I tipped and nothing else was on my bill.

Everything we asked for was sent right away. Wonderful grounds, wonderful staff. 15 minutes drive right into the heart of Auburn.

Room Tip: Pool was under renovation, looked like it was going to be killer when completed though.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2012

The hotel and property are beautiful. But that's about it.

I checked in at 3:00pm. The dining facilities were closed. But I could order room service. Odd. A chix sandwich/small salad and glass of tea was $41.00. That food tray stayed outside my room for 3 days. My husband finally picked it up and moved it to a sitting area in front of the elevators. It remained in that spot another 2 days.

The red Marriott shuttle was parked out front. I was attending a conference at Auburn and asked the front desk if they offered shuttle service to various parts of campus. I was told they didn't have a driver. Ever. But it sat out front the entire time.

Our rate included a complimentary breakfast. The restaurant was crowded and no one was eating...just waiting. When the waitress did appear she said she was the only one on duty and if we wanted cereal she had to make it and if we wanted fruit she had to cut it up and if we wanted eggs it would be awhile. I started to laugh. Someone called the manager. 2 other staff came in the restaurant but were loudly complaining that this was not their job. We left. The buffet the following morning was cold and not Marriott standards.

We had a hornet's nest outside our sliding glass door. A big one.

I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. Certainly under staffed. I cannot image how this facility would handle a full house. And this is advertised as a convention center.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank 451Texan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
The Hotel at Auburn University
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Best Western Auburn/Opelika Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Home2 Suites by Hilton Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika

Been to Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Address: 3700 Robert Trent Jones Trl, Opelika, AL 36801-1118
Location: United States > Alabama > Opelika
#2 Business Hotel in Opelika
#3 Romantic Hotel in Opelika
#4 Family Hotel in Opelika
Price Range: $130 - $330 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3.5 star — Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National 3.5*
Overlooking the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National is on par with the nation's most distinctive facilities and accommodations. Nestled on 2,000 acres of lakefront countryside, our Auburn hotel's exceptional golf and business retreat is located in the quaint, historic town of Opelika. Our property is situated on the shores of Lake Saugahatchee, offering a peaceful and serene atmosphere and featuring access to 54 holes of championship golf. Escape from ordinary hotels in Auburn, AL and indulge in our spacious guest rooms with complimentary high-speed Internet access and stunning views from your own private balcony. Guests love our swimming pools, fitness center, and on-site dining options. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Marriott Auburn Opelika At Grand National Hotel Opelika