“A-Day 2013”

Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Opelika
Colonial Beach, Virginia, Usa
“A-Day 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Pulled up to the front entrance and got off my motorcycle in the rain just after lunch. Went in and the clerk apologized because the rooms weren't ready yet. She said they would hurry and get a room ready for me and she went and made a fresh pot of coffee. After riding all morning in the rain and wind, the hot coffee really tasted good. After a short wait, I got my key and went to my room to dry off and rest up. The room was clean and spacious and bed felt great that night. Breakfast the next morning was filling and got me started for A-Day and the last rolling of Toomer's oaks. Great experience and Best Western helped make it so.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Mickey P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while visiting the Auburn-Opelika area. It was a huge weekend for the university and we are pleased that your experience with us helped you to enjoy it as well. If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I booked my reservation through priceline and upon my arrival there was no record of my reservation. This was inspite of me having a confirmation of my reservation. We were unable to get the room we booked and had to settle for what they had remaining - a smoking king or non smoking double room. We were tired and reluctantly decided on the double. The delay caused us to be late for the rolling of the trees. Total bummer. Terrible experience. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn; however it was booked. When we enquired about receiving a discount due to the inconvenience we were advised that the rooms were already discounted and typically run $123 a night. I found that hard to believe. I have never stayed at a Best Western and will never stay at another one. I was also told since I booked through a third party it was not their fault. I was also asked if I had confirmed the reservation with the hotel before arriving. A totally frutrating experience. The rooms hr to it, missig light bulbs, sub par linens and advertised tv channels that they didn't even have. We checked out the a few hours after checking in. The front desk clerk said she was very sorry; however, sorry doesn't cut it on this one. Shame on the owner. Do not stay here!! And do jot book through a third party because this hotel does not honor the reservation.

• Stayed April 2013
Mickey P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We value your feedback and use the information we receive to continually improve the way we do business here. On behalf of myself and my entire staff I would like to apologize for any inconvenience to you and your guests encountered during your stay here. This was a huge weekend for our area and so of course all the local hotels were booked up, which was the case with us. I do sincerely apologize for the mix up with your reservation, but sadly you were not the only patron to report to the hotel having a reservation confirmation and no record of the reservation on file in my computer. We have reported the issue to the appropriate office and it is being investigated. I am sorry for the change in your accommodations as well, but when you book through a third party your preferences are not guaranteed. Our contractual obligations to them is providing you, the guest, with a reasonable accommodation with run-of-the-house rules, meaning whatever is available. We most often can keep reservations as booked with 3rd party billers, however when we are full to capacity and have had more guests book directly through us, we serve those needs as requested. Not only that, we are a small hotel and one of the few who still allows smoking on the premises, otherwise your requests could've been granted. Again, I apologize for the minor issues with the room but those items could've easily been remedied by reporting them to the front desk.
Again, I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences you experience during your stay here.
Cordova, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We booked our room (handicapped/king room) on-line & guaranteed it for late arrival. The room was no longer available when we checked in. This was our only complant. All staff was gracious, friendly, professional. Breakfast was good. Hotel location was convenient; it's on a road that parallels the freeway, so you may want to call ahead for specific directions. For us, this was an overnight stop heading elsewhere. We would definately stay again and have added it to our list of options.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Mickey P, Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for staying with us while in the Auburn-Opelika area. It is our goal to provide the very best service to all of our guests. On behalf of my staff and myself I would like to apologize for the last minute accommodation change in your room type but we had a guest that was referred from our local hospital that required the handicap room. We do assess these situations very carefully before making these changes and ultimately this was the necessary choice at the moment. We are pleased that your replacement was acceptable. We do realize that we are a little off the main highway, but we are so glad that you all took the time to find us.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to serving your lodging needs in the future.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was passing through on my way to a family get together and stayed. I found the hotel very clean and the front desk staff very friendly and courteous. The property was very well maintained and under renovation. The room was very clean and well maintained, with a huge 40 flat screen TV. They had a new and improved breakfast bar and had no problems with check in and check out. I would highly recommend a stay at this hotel. It has a lot of bang for the buck.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Mickey P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback from our guests and use the details from your experiences to implement changes as necessary to fit the continuous needs of our customers.

My staff and I are dedicated to delivering exceptional customer service and are pleased that you took notice of the changes that we are already making to our property. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Dallas, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked this room 10 months in advance. And then found out later it was going for double that. So for our total cost of $170 for 2 nights it was perfect. Had a fridge in the room for storing beer. Easy access to restuarnts and really not far from campus. Only complaints is the beds are truly double beds so kind of tight for 2 people but doable. Would stay again. Oh breakfast was you expect for contiental but still for the price can't beat it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Mickey P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm glad that we were able to provide you with a great deal, especially during our busy football season. I do apologize for the 'tight fit' of the beds, however they are XL full sized beds, which allows a little more mobility around the other in room furnishings without feeling cluttered. We are happy that you were pleased with your overall stay with us and hope that you will consider us when visiting the area in the future.
Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

We were traveling to Savannah, GA & Opelika, AL was just a stop over. All we needed was a clean & safe place to spend the night before moving on. This was not a big vacation, just a 4 day sister get-a-way & we were trying to stay on a tight budget. We picked up a hotel coupon book at the Alabama welcome center, which is how we found The Best Western Opelika/Auburn Inn. We had to travel just under 2 miles off the interstate & it was worth it. The girl at the front desk was friendly & really tried to accommodate our needs & considering we were requesting a unbelievable cheap rate she could have had a very different attitude, the room was clean, the beds were comfy, the area around the hotel was well landscaped & maintained & the breakfast that was included was filling. The morning clerk (my only negative remark in this review is that he was a little under groomed), he was also helpful, gave us directions to see the historic part of town on our way back to the interstate. I wish we had more time to spend in charming Opelika, AL.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mickey P, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value your input and will use your comments improve upon our processes for future guests. Again, we thank you for your feedback and look forward to serving you again.
Dallas, Georgia, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

Requested group reservation online for 11 rooms 2 months ago. Owner called me & verified. All was well until a few days ago, he cancelled my rsrv b/c I didn't give him my credit card. (He DIDN'T ASK for it) I called his cell & asked what happened. He had tried to call me, but had my email & phone# incorrect. He told me it was my responsibility to give him my credit card, not his. He also said I didn't call & check on the rsrv & that most people do (funny.... I thought I was good to go when I made a rsrv) So, my sons entire ball team doesn't have a place to stay now b/c of an incompetent owner. This was our 3rd yr staying here!!! Never again!

Room Tip: Do not stay here! The owner doesn't care if you make a reservation & will cancel your room i...