“Would Strongly Recommend”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Opelika
Jacksonville, Florida
“Would Strongly Recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I stayed at this motel for a couple of nights and enjoyed every night. It is close to several good restaurants. Very modern and fairly new motel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

When I arrived at this hotel I was so excited. It was in a location pretty much off by itself, surrounded by tons of open grassy space & far from the highways. This was great to me as I brought my border collie & husband with me for the week as I start my Master's degree at Auburn. This Microtel was one of the few places in town that allows dogs, has wi-fi in guest rooms, had GREAT rates, and wasn't a flat-out crappy hotel. When I walked into the hotel I got even more excited because it was just as nice as it looked in the pictures. It is a brand new hotel, is pretty & modern inside, is very clean and smells really great, and had a great space for the continental breakfast. However, when I arrived with my dog, the woman at the front desk let me know they only allowed service dogs (which mine is not). When I indicated to her that their website indicated that it was dog-friendly, AND that I had e-mailed them letting them know ahead of time that I would be bringing my dog. Her reply was "Oh, yes I did notice that you sent that. I should have called you." Well, that doesn't do me much good now that I'm here, 8 hours from home, without a place to stay, during the first week of school in a busy college town. I finally had to ask her to please recommend a place we could stay & call them to see if they had any open rooms. She was very nice throughout the conversation, but it was frustrating to not have been forewarned. Aside from the dog issue, I would completely recommend this hotel to anyone. It is worth 3 times what you pay. Again, great location that will keep loud roadway noises out, just a 5 or 6 mile drive from Auburn's campus, a beautiful hotel allover. Just don't bring your dog.. : ) And if you have any special needs or requests, I would recommend you CALL THEM to be sure they'll have what you need.

Room Tip: Suites will give you a lot more space if you plan to spend any extended time in your room.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Milton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2011

We had an unplanned stay here due to it being very late and it had become very foggy making driving treacherous. We pulled off the highway, looked around a little and the Microtel looked pretty inviting considering the hour and the affordable rate. I had never stayed in a Microtel before and did not know what to expect, as the title says I was in for a pleasant surprise. The room, while not huge, was very nicely appointed and comfortable. The rooms were also extremely clean which is important to me. The breakfast, while basic, was tasty and there was plenty of selection.The staff was very friendly and accommodating and helped make the stay very enjoyable. All and all I am glad we made this stop and will definitely consider Microtel again in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Murfreesboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

As a family we've outgrown one room with two beds, so now we have to book two rooms when we travel. With that said, staying at the Microtel easily allows us to pay for two rooms a night for almost the price of one night at most other hotels in the area. The hotel is practically brand new and is kept up very well. I would not hesitate to recommend this to any traveler, rich or not so rich at least checking it out the next time in the area.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Chick K
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is the second time in six months we have stayed at this hotel visiting family, and we will continue to stay here when we book in the future. Great value, clean, comfortable, more than adequate free breakfast. Most of the staff is extremely friendly. The woman who checked us in (on 11/21) was fantastic. We were put in a room across from the elevator and housekeeping storage room and were worried about the noise, so we asked to be moved to a room closer to the end of either hall. She immediately moved us to a room as far away from the elevators as possible, which meant upgrading us to a suite. The room was great and we certainly appreciated her helpfulness. If you're looking for a hotel in Opelika, you won't find an excellent room for a better value. Competitive hotels with good reviews cost twice as much per night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on either end of the hall, away from the elevators - they are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank MidwestWriter13
Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

An okay stay, but probably won’t be coming back to the Microtel.
We booked this room a little late, and got a Queen Bed room for $80++. CONS: 1) Stay away from the Queen Bed room! It is TINY. The room is wide enough for a queen bed and a small nightstand on each side. That’s it. Very small. Also, all Queen Bed rooms are directly across from the elevator and ice machine (two things we try to avoid when making our reservations). We requested to move away from the elevator and ice and got a Two Queen room for the same price. This room was larger than the first, but still small than other hotels in the $75-80/night price range. 2) The beds and pillows are ROCK HARD and left us achy in the morning. 3) The breakfast was okay. Hot “eggs” and sausage or Canadian bacon. Bagels, toast, cereal, apples & oranges, etc. 4) The “Business Center” is a computer and printer placed on a counter two steps inside the front door, in full view of everyone coming and going, and kinda chilly when the doors open. Not ideal. 5) The room was noisy. The heat/AC kicked on/off through the night and was loud each time. Had to unplug the fridge in the middle of the night because it was so noisy.
PROS: 1) The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. They were helpful when we needed to change rooms, provided directions to the University, and made dining recommendations. 2) The hotel is very clean, in the rooms and common areas. 3) Convenient to Auburn U. and Tiger Town shopping. 4) Not much inter-room noise. There were several high school athletic teams in the hotel with us. We did not hear any of the kids moving around in the hallway or through the walls.
All in all, an okay stay. Not worth $80, but a decent $50 room. Probably will look for other accommodations on our next trip to Auburn though.

Room Tip: Avoid the "Queen Bed" room unless you are traveling alone and don't mind elevator and...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank francisfurillo
Uriah, Al
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Was suppose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express but they overbooked & got some people like myself to change. The Microtel was new and thus is was very clean. The rooms are smaller than anything that I have every stayed in. The bath tub is very difficult to get out of. The breakfast was no more than average. We ate there one morning but opted to go elsewhere the other 2 mornings. Apparently there is not much between the walls in that we could hear the person snoring in the next room. We thought by changing hotels we were to get a discount on the rate. It was still $130 a night.
I looked at booking for another Auburn weekend but they wanted $160+ a night & they had a 2 night minimun. The location is good but it is just worth a $160 a night. I would rather stay 45 miles away at the Fairfield Inn in Montgomery and pay $100 a night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BruceT
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 17 in Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Opelika? Share your experiences!