“Football weekend”

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Opelika
Uriah, Al
“Football weekend”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

Was suppose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express but they overbooked & got some people like myself to change. The Microtel was new and thus is was very clean. The rooms are smaller than anything that I have every stayed in. The bath tub is very difficult to get out of. The breakfast was no more than average. We ate there one morning but opted to go elsewhere the other 2 mornings. Apparently there is not much between the walls in that we could hear the person snoring in the next room. We thought by changing hotels we were to get a discount on the rate. It was still $130 a night.
I looked at booking for another Auburn weekend but they wanted $160+ a night & they had a 2 night minimun. The location is good but it is just worth a $160 a night. I would rather stay 45 miles away at the Fairfield Inn in Montgomery and pay $100 a night.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BruceT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

We were given a handicap room even though neither one of us are handicapped...strange room if you don't need the amenities. Also there was a very strong smell once entering into the room. Walls are paper thin. Thus room had a table and chairs fit for children? It didn't fit us, that's for sure. Not the most comfortable bed either. It was just okay not sure I'd come back.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank Shortstory58
BirminghamAL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2011

They say the third time is a charm and it was. Yes, the rooms are smaller that some of the other chains but so is the price. What I needed was a good shower and comfortable bed -- and got them both -- in a clean, comfortable, friendly environment.

Breakfast was good with hot fried eggs, bacon, and the usual other items on the breakfast menu. Their coffee is excellent.

My only wish is that the sink had a small shelf beside it for toiletries. But, for the price, I can manage -- especially with the quality of the shower.

One last note: I did a speedtest on the free WIFI in the room (12.4 mbps) which is EXTREMELY fast and is about the fastest available in that area at this time. Free WIFI is almost expected these days, but not one that is as fast as this one was.

Room Tip: Call and ask them what they have available. Also, even though it was reserved for late check in I c...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank LoveTravelingOn
Anderson,SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

This was a great stay! Great location, a new place. This was a very clean place, very comfy and nice. I will stay here again. It is not your typical Microtel, more like a Holiday Inn Express to me. Don't be afraid to stay at this great place!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We snagged a great deal on Priceline for this hotel. We only needed a place to lay our head at night after spending all day visiting family, and this hotel fit the bill. However, those booking on Priceline and other travel sites should be forewarned that you will likely be placed in an Accessible room on the first floor. The clerk informed we could not have a room elsewhere b/c these rooms are reserved exclusively for Priceline/Expedia etc deals. We were fine with this, but we also travel with a fan to block noise and without it the noise from the lobby would have been bothersome. The shower in the accessible room was a bit annoying, as it nearly flooded the bathroom every time we used it. It was difficult to angle the showerhead correctly to keep this from happening. The breakfast was a bit limited, but entirely adequate, especially for the price, and the staff kept it well stocked. Overall, the staff was friendly and very helpful. The young man who checked us in on the first night was a bit off-putting and rude, but the others should be commended for their service. We would definitely stay here again, especially for the price, which was far more competitive than the rates of the other hotels nearby. The property is new and well-maintained. Great hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2011

The property looks and even smells new. The rooms are standard Microtel rooms (with the long mirror, window seat, etc), but this one seems more modern -- for example the TV is a flat screen.
It's right off the highway, and near restaurants and stores.
The free internet worked well.
The breakfast was good -- but there were no waffles.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank travelsaroundUSA
Moorhead, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

I must admit I was a bit skeptical when it came to making reservations at Microtel. I had read reviews and seen pictures and viewed other guests’ ratings but still had my doubts. Fast forward, I arrived at the hotel for check-in and I was impressed. The hotel was above any expectations I had. The staff was super friendly and kind. I admit the room wasn’t as large as I expected it to be, however I can’t really complain about that because it had a comfy/cozy vibe. The flat screen was nice, fridge and microwave (stainless steel appliances) nice bathroom/shower (super clean!) the cleaning staff did a great job with housekeeping and did I mention breakfast yet?? It was sufficient enough to get you on the go; I can’t complain. It is a new hotel so in reality, these things should be the standard. I snagged a great deal which made my stay even better because I was about to pay nearly $100/night at the holiday inn and suites on the other side of Opelika—glad I didn’t! coolest and most favorite feature of my stay in the room was the doorbells for each room! I thought that was so awesome and a great alternative to annoying knocks on the door. Im coming back to stay here again just because of that lol and I did appreciate the fact that they also have a laundry area to wash/dry clothes if need be ($2 wash, $1 dry) there were vending machines on each floor and ice makers, they’re handicap accessible, provide extra toiliteries u may have forgotten (bf needed a toothbrush and they had it haha) what I didn’t not like were the seemingly thin walls I could hear my neighbor’s conversations. If you’re loud, you will be heard; almost made me feel as if you have to whisper to keep your privacy but that’s my only drawback though. Overall I give this hotel a 9.5/10 and I will definitely be back to stay…in like 2-3 weeks actually  oh for those wondering about the area, it’s behind a lowe’s kinda off to itself so ur really not around a bunch of busy traffic etc. but there are some pretty ok/neat places around Opelika to explore and auburn is up the road in like 2 seconds...generally ok area for a small town (def don’t expect a city life atmosphere if u stay here, more hometown/college town feel) anyway I am in no way endorsed by Microtel or tripadvisor.com just my honest opinions and I def recommend this hotel! I hope management takes care of the area etc because it is very nice! Oh and no pets and it is a smoke free environment which I absolutely love, love, love! Think they made a pet exception w/a guest who checked in after me but best believe she paid a price for it (idk how much tho) again, sorry for the long review/hope this helps at least one person, my pics suck because I kept my room messy smh (def appreciate housekeeping for cleaning up after me) so I took pics of the outside n stuff…great hotel, great area, great price/value! I love it! Omg, 1 more thing I promise im finished after this (lol) I also loved the seating area in front of the window in the room, it’s comfy, like a little day bed type thingy; I completely napped comfortable on it (wouldn’t recommend it if ur 6’0’’ + with a large frame, I’m a teeny thing only 5’0 lol) ok, im done now, enjoy your stay fellow travelers! Sorry the pics I have of my room are messy and not much detail but believe me it is very nice! (I was just messy had little time)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 17 in Auburn
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Opelika? Share your experiences!