“BAD EXPERIENCE AND I'M A PLATINUM ELITE REWARDS MEMBER”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Opelika
Arkansas
“BAD EXPERIENCE AND I'M A PLATINUM ELITE REWARDS MEMBER”
Reviewed August 17, 2014

I am a platinum elite member of IHG. I am so glad this HI property was not my first experience with HI or I would never have set foot in another one.
Upon my arrival I was informed that there was one only remaining room and due to the cost I might not want the room. I presented my platinum card and the hotel clerk began to relate a story about his manager telling him to raise the rate on the remaining six rooms to $250 per night, but the clerk informed me that he did have leeway to negotiate .
please realize at this time I still had not been greeted as an IHG rewards club member nor a platinum member.
I was astonished that price gouging tactics had occurred to five other guests staying at this property and I could have had the same tactic used on me. I asked the clerk what the price would be. He quoted the price, and I was not given the lowest rate, but after he informed me that another HI would be a two hour drive I decided to pay the price quoted. I was not offered any amenities by the clerk upon check-in and upon checked out the following morning I was not recognized by name.

Room Tip: Room 328 has a refrigerator that pops all night long and prevents sound sleep. This room faces the...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveljunkieArkansas
1801HotelManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thank you so much your feedback as it only helps us to improve our great customer service. As discussed during our conversation yesterday concerning your disappointment in detail, there was a miscommunication with rates put in place for the evening. This was truly a systematic error and we were in no way trying to price gouge. We apologize for the inconvenience during the check-in process. We do value you as an IHG member, and I hope that the amenities we provided you at the end of our conversation, will show you how much we value you and your opinions. In closing, we hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you the excellent customer service our hotel is known for providing. Thank you for being a loyal IHG Rewards member and we hope to see you again soon.

Terrie McConnell
Hotel General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

We found ourselves suddenly in need of a hotel on August 4th and expected to be checking out by August 6th to return to the home we were renting. This did not work out as planned and through a week now of not knowing from day to day if we would need a place to lay our head at night (my husband, myself, and two small children) the entire hotel staff has been WONDERFUL to us even though they had been virtually booked solid! They have worked with us and assured that we were all completely comfortable and taken care of during our entire stay! They know us and our children by name, and even helped make our oldest child's first day of kindergarten special! We highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for somewhere to stay in the Auburn-Opelika area! Just give Katy or Ben a call at the front desk and they will set you right up!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have stayed at quite a few hotels, and let me tell you, this one is TOP NOTCH! the breakfast is typical, not really impressive, but it is free. The room was just down right great. Stay here and be happy!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank bsf80
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Clean room, good value, hot breakfast, Truck Parking available alongside street. PET FRIENDLY BUT A HIGH FEE OF $50 FOR 2 DOGS. SHOULDN'T HAVE A FEE AT ALL IF YOUR DOGS ARE PROVEN TO BE WELL BEHAVED. Good location! Nearby restaurants and every other creature need. FOR THOSE Whom Love Movies, there is a movie theater next door. Will stay again if in area. Shower pressure is adequate but not powerhouse like I usually require. Friendly staff ends this review!

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Alabama
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had a group of ladies staying here for a tennis tournament and the Staff went out of there way to help us and see to our every want and need. The housekeeping staff was very efficient cleaning up our rooms and went as far as to leave personal notes to us on the desk. Everyone there was very friendly and spoke to us each and every time they saw us. The hotel lobby was always clean and the location was perfect for our tournament. They had a wonderful selection for breakfast. The pool area and hot tub was always clean. Kiddo's to the Staff of Holiday Inn Express: Brittany, Terri, Ben, Katie and Tameka and everyone else that made our weekend one of the best!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank firsttime4Hawaii
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Too many alternatives in this area to trust that these people will get their act together. Terrible service on check in set the tone. Two employees at desk. One chatting while trying to help the lady in front of me who did not know the name of the person that made her reservations. The other desk person totally ignored us while distracting her colleague about a form she was working on. When the one working employee finally checked us in we were informed that there were no carts available. They were all being used by one guest who was "moving out" after living here for a year. When I commented that was terrible service she shrugged her shoulders. She did say she would call someone to help after I said they just earned a zero. The offer was not made in a friendly tone. Dirty halls. Nice room but no network channels on TV and terrible snowy picture that apperently can't be fixed.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank ric014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear ric014,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is unfortunate to hear that not all aspects of our facility were able to meet your expectations. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced, specially during check in.

We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stopped here for one night on the way home from vacation. I had wanted a room with a couch or a second bed since we have kids, but the hotel was full and only had one King room left. The two men working quickly checked to see if there was a roll away bed available and brought it down by the time my husband walked in with the kids. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel we saw. We didn't use the recreation facilities, but we did pass by them. The pool looked very clean, as did the spa. The breakfast was standard Holiday Inn food - cinnamon rolls, cereals, breads, pancakes, sausage, gravy, etc. Much better than most other free breakfasts. Every staff person we encountered was nice and helpful. It was an excellent value for the price of the room. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National
Best Western Auburn/Opelika Inn
Courtyard Auburn
Courtyard Auburn
#3 of 16 in Auburn
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Auburn

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn? Share your experiences!