“Excellent value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Opelika
“Excellent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is one of the least expensive between Montgomery and Atlanta, but is still a decent hotel. It appears to be new, but the beds were hard as rocks and the pillows were too. The room was clean and neat, but I was so uncomfortable I barely slept. Plus, we checked in late, so the front door was locked. Once the attendant unlocked the door, it took her TWENTY MINUTES to figure out how to give us my company's discount. After driving all day and into the night, I was not pleased. Overall, this hotel is much less expensive than nearby places, yet still a nice place.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited family for the 4th of July and we really did not need to leave the hotel to have fun. The front desk staff was so sweet and helped make our stay comfortable. The room was clean and even smelled fresh. We will be back and would not stay any other place.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Lynn D
Orlando, Florida, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here three times in the last few years. It used to be great for location, value and spotless. Sadly, there needs to be some major deep cleaning done. The carpets are badly in need of steam cleaning. This was evident when my one year old crawled on the floor in our room and had black (yes BLACK!), knees, feet and hands after a short time. The bathroom floors feel sticky and need a deep clean also.

The rest of the room was fine. Bedding and towels in good condition but the carpets were a real disappointment. We changed rooms and the second room was the same. When I asked the staff how often the carpets were cleaned, they just gave me blank looks and smiles. I'm guessing that means they're not!

The staff are friendly and generally very helpful.

Breakfast is pretty awful but it's included in the rate. Processed 'junk' breakfast items, and cheap pastries are available. I grabbed a yoghurt and bagel. It's not that big of a deal but don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Breakfast organization was poor- definitely need more staff on duty to replenish items and clean tables etc.

I haven't stayed in any other place in Auburn/Opelika so can't compare. I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same. I used to think this was a wonderful overnight hotel and great value for money. Now, i'm not so sure.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
LynnDaughtry, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. This is valuable information that I feel we will use to make improvements at our hotel, to ensure the total comfort of our guest.
detroit, michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for the first time last weekend. (June 23-June 24). maybe that was the problem. The hotel staff at the desk was nice. Our lamps in our room with the plugs on the base, didn't work in any of the lamps. The bulbs were also burnt out in the bathroom and the vent fan didn't work. The room itself was nice and clean but frustrating since I spent most of the time in there working on work.

The breakfast was not as good as I had read reviews on this site. Again, maybe since it was Sunday morning? We arrived at breakfast at 8:45 (well before it was to end) The pancake machine wasn't working an NO attempt was made to even see what was wrong. A sign was stuck to the front saying "Sorry, but we hope you enjoy the rest of your stay" The eating area was trashed. Looked like there was a party there or something. No attempt was made to clean it up. Tables were a mess. The ceramic floor was all sticky with syrup or something else. There was no bread, bagels, cinnamon buns, bacon, butter, jelly etc. It was empty. I had to interrupt the two young ladies in the kitchen from texting to get more butter for the lone piece of bread I toasted. Twice I had to ask. I could understand if we showed up at the end of the breakfast but it still had over an hour to go!

The next day, I thought breakfast started early since it was a Monday and it "caters to the business traveler". We were up early to get a jump on our 14 hour ride home. We thought we could grab something toast etc and leave. The only thing ready was coffee. The young lady was cleaning out the fixtures which the food was to be put in. Again, I know it was early but please don't advertise it to start if nothing is going to be available.

Would we stay here again, not sure. I guess we just wouldn't depend upon the breakfast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear cjmack,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your breakfast experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on a recent swim meet trip to Auburn University. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. We had a room in front of the second floor elevator and aside from the occasional passenger conversations outside the elevator door, the noise was not bothersome. The front desk was very pleasant and helpful. This hotel is about an 11 minute drive to the Auburn Campus and close to shopping and many restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brundidge, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at this particular hotel June 22-23 and the Service was excellent. The room was Fresh , Clean and the Beds were Extremely Comfortable. The Hostess and Staff was very courteous and very friendly, willing and eager to help you and do whatever they could to make my stay more pleasant. This isn't my first stay at this hotel , Its was great before and even better this time around . Thank You So Much for Service Rendered !!! I will be staying there again, You can count on it . And also there are very convenient, Restaurants, Eaterys and Shopping!!! It is also easy accessable from Hwy280 & I-85

Room Tip: Every Room is Excellent
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Montgomery, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel chain for the first time recently. The accommodations were excellent for the rate. One of the most pleasant experiences was the personal, servant-attitude of the breakfast hostess. She was a very pleasant young lady who made it her business to personally greet every patron, table that entered the dining room. She went out of her way to ensure that everything was satisfactory and that she was receptive to exploring other options to assist as necessary. I learned from her that she drove from another community, Phoenix City just to have gainful employment. She spoke of the sacrifice, given the travel cost, but that she preferred to be working and driving and felt blessed to just have a job. Her personality and desire to serve seemed well suited for the Hospitality Industry. I can imagine her someday successfully in management and training others how to "humbly serve others with delight." My only negative experience came after departing the hotel. I discovered that I left my "cordless" speak in the bath room. I called the hotel immediately, was assured that "house" keeping had a special place to keep lost & found items and that someone would return my call. I called the hotel for several days and never got the first return call. I trust that someone was really in need of this item. Too bad I didn't leave it in the hotel dining room. Be Blessed, but be sure to take an inventory of important items before you leave.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LynnDaughtry, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for giving us this valuable feed back. I went though lost and found just to check for your lost item and we have not recovered it as of this post. I regret that this message has not gotten back to you in a more timely fashion. We will use this as a learning tool for the future to help serve the needs of our guest. We wish you safe travels for the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Opelika
Hampton Inn & Suites - Opelika
Fairfield Inn & Suites Auburn Opelika
BEST WESTERN Auburn/Opelika Inn
The Hotel at Auburn University
Hilton Garden Inn Auburn/Opelika
Auburn Marriott Opelika Hotel & Conference Center at Grand National

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn? Share your experiences!